DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

We can hardly wait to pick up our 8 week-old goldendoodle puppy on Saturday morning, but we have some questions about crate training.  I've read that we shouldn't put a dog bed in the crate because the puppy will just chew it up.  The breeder suggested that we put some old towels in there for him to sleep on, but I read that the puppy may just pee on towels if placed in the crate.  So, we're very confused about what to put in the crate with our new little guy at night (and during the day, too)!  Please help!

Views: 137

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh just use old towels - it makes it comfy for them and you can always wash them. Hopefully you have a small enough crate or one with a divider - if you don't leave your pup any longer than an hour or two, he/she will not soil it (too small of a space - my Peri only had 1-2 accidents in hers). I, personally, do not recommend pee pads. Don't let them get used to being able to go anywhere inside, including their crate.
Welcome to DK - please join us in Puppy Madness group. We have lots of crate training discussions that you will find helpful.
Your puppy is a doll - what's the name?? Congrats.
We used old towels, as well. Just like Allyson, we only had a couple accidents, if that, in the crate. The key is to have a small space for the puppy... as Allyson already mentioned. Good luck with your new pup!!
I used old towels/blankets....and it was great. Shelby has only gone in her crate twice.... once due to being left too long (my fault - I own it) and once because she got sick and had diarreah. She loves nesting in the towels/blankets and making her own bed so to speak that is comfortable to her. Towels/blankets are great and easy to wash!
Old towels are great - they're comfy, and you can just throw them in the washing machine. Honestly, you probably won't have many accidents in the crate because pups think of the crate as their "den," and don't want to soil it. As long as you're taking your doodle outside A LOT for frequent pee breaks, you should be good! We put two or three towels on the bottom of the crate, and lined each side of the crate with a rolled up towel, like a "bumper" along the side.

Excited for you new addition - be sure to post photos!
We used a sheepskin mat and then a bed in her crate and she has never had an accident in her crate. We also put a chew toy in her crate. Our dog is now 18 months and loves her crate, will go in by herself during the day.
We used a plush mat with a rolled and stuffed edge - like a dog bed but much flatter. Ned never chewed it and because he doesn''t stink or shed it has stayed very nice.
Yup, agree with everyone here - old towels are the best for starters. Hopefully you can setup so that it's not too far to go when training to go outside for potty time - our girl learned very quickly and it wasn't long before she actually knew to go to the door when it was time to go outside. And for the crate, we actually bought a full size one when she was a puppy and other than the fact she looked so small in it she never had a problem - it seems like it only took a couple months of sleeping with the door on before we were all comfortable with having the door off at night (but our bedroom door closed) and she was free to roam around - although she would still "put herself to bed" in the crate as if it was her own cave!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service