DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Desperate for help with my doodle. Keeps licking her butt non-stop. Been to the vets again and again.

Hi everyone. 

I am so desperate to figure out what is going on with my 2 year old female australian labradoodle. Here's her history. I am hoping that someone can help me figure this out. I am now thinking it might be a food allergy. 

4/2011 ~ noticed licking in the anal area. Took her to the vets. She needed her anal glands expressed. They were full. Mild infection. Everything cleared up after about a week.

10/23/2011 ~ noticed licking in the anal area. Took her to the vets. Anal glands were expressed. No infection found.

10/26/2011 ~ still licking her butt Took her back to the vets. Her left anal gland was infected. Gave her a cortizone shot and put her on an antiobiotic.

11/4/2011 ~ still licking her butt Took her back to the vets. Both anal glands were infected. Changed antibiotics and added in predisone b/c the glands were very swollen and not able to drain. They also checked her stool for worms/parasites. Negative. She is also on monthly heartgard.

11/5/2011 ~ switched foods to Fromm 4 Starr. 3 kinds. Duck and Sweet Pot., Salmon a la king and Pork and apples. She loves them! She was on TOTW and would turn her nose up every other day.

11/10/2011 ~ Licking like crazy. Back to the vets. No infection. Still swollen glands so gave her another steroid shot. Continue on cortizone at home and antibiotic. Full rectal exam to check for polyps, obstructions, etc. All clear.

11/15/2011 ~ Licking like crazy. Back to the vets. No infection. No swelling in the glands. Checked for mites. Negative. Added benadryl twice per day. Started dewormer even though negative one week ago.

Nothing is working. She licked non-stop for hours yesterday despite trying to play and distract her. It's weird, she will run and play and then stop as if someone poked her butt from out of the blue.

I am at my wits end. I feel horrible for her. She circles licking all day long. She will stop dead in her track from playing to lick non-stop. Her bottom looks sore and her fur is all wet and matted from where she licks. She licks all around the area including the base of her tail.

Could this be a food allergy since TOTW was grain free and Fromm is not? What am I missing?

I have also posted this on the food board.

Thank you in advance!

Stacy

What am I missing?

Views: 6675

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No advice, I think you have gotten a lot already. But I just wanted to say that I hope that you are able to figure out the problem, and that she feels better soon!

Hi all,

Just a quick update. Our girl had a great night. Only tried to lick once or twice and she slept the whole night next to me, rather than roaming around the bedroom and circling the bed for hours. She was so sweet (or maybe exhausted). She started licking this morning and I told her to "leave it" and she did.  Maybe the antibiotic infusion worked along with the new anti-itch meds. We will see how the day goes.

Off to research and read about food!

Thank you all again for your well wishes and advice. It is so helpful!

Stacy

So happy to hear you both had a good night!  Paws crossed here that it continues.

GREAT news!

I'm so happy to hear she had a better night!

Hi Stacy - Tori used to have anal gland problems when she was younger VERY often... Changed her food many times - and eliminated corn and finally tried sensitive stomach - easily digested food and added pumpkin  to her food and diet... don't know if it was that or age, but KNOCK WOOD they haven't filled so quickly.  I feel so bad for both of you.  I know how consuming this can be... best of luck!

The pumpkin sounds like a good idea and hopefully the infusion worked. One thing I might do is an oatmeal bath that she can sit in.I know it works wonders for our Bella when she is itchy, just to soothe the area, not cure it ofcourse, you are already doing all you can for that. Just a thought I had last night. :)

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service