DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Since he was very young, when I opened the dishwasher to load it with our dirty(rinsed)dishes, our GD decided he would help me out. He used to actually stand on the open door but now he is too big.Tonight, I was loading it with a few things and again he was "helping". I pulled on his collar a bit to back him up so I could close the door. WELL, it seems that his collar ring had attached to something in the bottom rack. He started "bucking like a bronco" and the entire bottom rack of my dishwasher went flying and hit me in the shins. The dishes were mostly all over the floor broken into pieces. The bottom rack landed about 3 feet from the dishwasher. I guess we made quite a commotion as my husband, who was watching hockey on TV came running in. (normally, nothing short of an earthquake or something would disturb a hockey game) Our kitchen floor was a disaster. I'm not even sure what actually happened. The poor dog was really scared and I was pretty shaken up myself. It happened in a split second. We cleaned up the debris-I had a few cuts in my shins-but after it was all over my husband said not to get angry with the dog-that he was just scared. We had dinner and he never came near the dishwasher when I loaded it up again. I still cannot believe this happened and wonder if anyone else has a dog that likes to help in the kitchen or anywhere else?

Views: 88

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is so hard not to laugh imagining this sight! I am sorry you got hurt and your dog got scared. At 5 months, Buddy patrols the dishwasher, hopeful at any moment that it may be open. it fascinates me that he loves the water there- even the clean water. he is not particular. Never mind that his water bowl is always fresh, he loves the dishwasher - but leaves the trash alone, go figure. He also loves the shower, ours doesnt have a door, so he is in there before I turn it on, while I (we) a showering, and afterwards. It is a riot.
Yes, we have the shower dog too! We have a glass door, but my son's bathroom has a curtain and if he doesn't jump in, his big head is in there helping him .
How did you teach them to stay out of the kitchen-Our dood is obsessed with this area. I have tried all of the tricks-but he surfs, sniffs, lies down beside me right where I am trying to cook, etc etc.
I just walk Beck out of the kitchen whenever he goes in it. I say 'out' 'out' 'out' ,and walk him toward the doorway, when he's out I tell him good and give him a treat. He's pretty good about it now, but he has snuck in there 2 times in the past few weeks (he's 4 months old) . We did the same with our Aussie, she hasn't been in the kitchen for around 8 years, she stops right at the entrance but never goes inside.
Yes I say out, out also and lead him out of there while I am cooking. He is getting better but the problem is that his food dish and water bowl are right there in the kitchen. He is 7 1/2 mths old now and is happy with this set up--- but we are moving soon, so at the next house, perhaps I should set his things up in a different location. The poor guy-I feel so bad-after all the dishwasher accident was hopefully just a freak accident which I will be sure to avoid in the future.
What a fright!!! Poor pup...has he tried to visit the dishwasher since then?

We don't allow dishwasher licking, but occasionally Thule will steal a drive by lick =)
I have been avoiding the dishwasher myself!! We were trying to train him to not get involved in this dishwasher loading. First of all, it is annoying because they get in the way, secondly-it is not a habit that we wish to encourage. Imagine having a dinner party and your guests see that the dog is pre rinsing all of the dishes. Then you serve them dessert and tea or coffee and they tell you that they are too full. LOL!!! We will be more on top of this training from now on. I guess we needed this "wake up call". Thks Adina for taking the time right now to post a response-you are a very special person. Thks, Debbie and Thomas ( his new knickname is Tom Cat)
I don't want to put a damper on everyones fun BUT there is an impotant safety hazard that has not been mentioned, The dishwasher soap is a poison. Please be careful.

Our guys are the best pre-washers but not near the dishasher.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service