DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Well I was very touched and surprised, even though it's just good client relations, that my vet sent us a condolence card at Jake's passing. He was euthanized last Friday after a very long and painful week. I won't go into details as I wrote a tribute blog to Jake that's been posted. But I was wondering if other vets do the same thing. It's the first time I've received something like that from any vet. But then again I haven't been in this situation for a while so perhaps it's just times they are a changing.

Views: 501

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

First off Andrea, so sorry about Jake. Our vet does this also. We've gotten cards and even flowers when our old Golden Retriever Bonnie passed years ago. But we've been going to them for close to 20 years.

I'm so sorry about Jake's passing.  I've never had a vet do this- it is very thoughtful of them.  I hope to never find out if my current vet sends out such notices.

So sorry to hear about this Andrea.  RIP sweet Jake.

My old vet did not even follow up with me when he had my old cat under treatment and he died at home the day of the follow up appointment.  I made a tearful call (well near hysterical really) to the office to cancel the appointment (due to the cat passing in the night) and the receptionist said "Ok I will tell him."  That was it!  No follow up call from the vet to ask about the circumstances of his death, no expression of sympathy, nothing!   Needless to say, I have a new vet and his office always follows up with me after treatment of any kind.   

So sorry BG....I can't imagine a vet's office being so uncaring.   A simply "I'm sorry" can mean so much.

Ditto. I'm glad you have a more caring vet, Linda.

BG This sounds like what our vet would do. I was pushing DH to change vets but then we got word that we have a new owner and Dr. the one retired and sold out. :) Our first appointment is today! I'm praying for change and a little puppy love!

I am so sorry. My vet is in semi-retirement. He is the one that feels like a friend. The new vet is very competent but not warm at all. I am hoping the office atmosphere doesn't change to much when my "old" vet is gone completely. 

Andrea, I am so sorry for your loss. Mr. Jake was a very lucky boy to have spent his last years with you.

I had one vet years ago who, after my dog was euthanized,  sent me a card saying that a donation had been made to the state veterinary school in her memory. That was very meaningful to me.

I do not recall getting a card from my current vets when either of my last two pets were euthanized, but I could be wrong. Now that I think about it, it really is right for the doctors who cared for the animal most of his or her life to formally express their sympathy.

I have had the same vet for 32 years and he has looked after every dog and cat that we have owned.he has euthanised two labradors and three cats .One of the dogs he euthanized at our home.Everey single time I get a card from he and all of his office staff.

He is a super vet all the way around. He even recomended that I take one of the dogs to another vet for acupuncture.

Sorry about your Jake...It's always such a painful time. I've had my vets send cards signed by the office staff and the doctors most recently when my cat was euthanized. The amazing thing was, I was a new patient for them by 2 days! The doctors are both grads of Penn Vet. School and they made a donation in Lola's name. They also are married and have 2 labradoodles so they are especially wonderful!

I think thats lovely and all vets should do that

Andrea....I am so sorry to hear about Jake. I applaud and hug you for your for your persistence and the love you gave to Jake. He was one luck boy (man:)) to have found you and to have had his life transformed to such a wonderful last couple years of his life.

Our vet office sends condolence cards as well as a donation to the UC Davis Veterinary school. They also follow-up a couple days after with a phone call to check on you.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service