DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Please help! Advice needed.

We have been going to dog parks and dog beaches for a couple of weeks. In total for at least 10 times. Met many dogs w/o problems. Camus is very friendly and never shows aggressiveness toward any dog, he plays with big and small dogs very well. Never humps or tries to dominate (he is young but pretty big: 36 lbs, 20.5'). He licks every dog's face, which is a submissive behaviour. Some adult dogs don't like him b/c of this puppy behavior, but usually they just warn him by growling and then just stay away. 

Unfortunately, last Friday Camus was attacked by two pit bulls. Camus ran like crazy and screamed terribly. He hid under the bench and was shacking and screaming non-stop. It wasn't a scream-complain it was a scream of horror (I had never heard a scream like that before). I was sure at that moment that he had been wounded. I left immediately b/c pit bulls were trying to get him even when I was holding him on my arms. So, I didn't speak to the pits' owner. It all happened very quickly.

On the next day I started to analyze the situation because I had a strange feeling that something wasn't normal in that situation.  Now I conclude (for sure) that that attack was provoked by pits' owners (it was a young couple). A friend of ours with big dog experience told me that yes, there are some sick people, usually young, who get pit bulls and then want them to fight, they go to places where their dogs can fight, they provoke fights.  

Ok. I'll tell you why I think it wasn't an accident. When pits came, I noticed that they were aggressive and the owners - young girl and boy - first kept one of them in a separated zone. That pit looked aggressive and owners barely could hold him. I heard (even though I was far) that they interchanged some comment about a puppy (my dog was the only puppy in the park that day). They didn't come and say anything to me. Then, they let the pit into the main area. The girl stood about 30 feet far from where we and other dogs were and started trying to catch Camus's attention (not loudly, she didn't ask me his name, didn't come to us, she was saying "come, come" and making this sound to attract dog's attention). That isn't a normal way to pet a puppy you like, right?  Her pits weren't near her at that moment, they were with the boy, I think. I noticed that she was calling Camus and I didn't suspect anything bad ( I am vey naive, I know). Although Camus loves all people and come to everyone to greet, he ignored her. I said something to that girl and when Camus heard me speaking to her, he finally went to greet her. That's when the attack started. 

Another detail. The pits owners didn't try to call or take their dogs away. 

I regret very much that I didn't talk to those people that same day, but I couldn't. What if I see them again? I guess, they won't give me their names or address. What do you think I should do or tell them? Of course, I won't let Camus near them again. But I would really like to do something about it. To tell the policy to keep an eye on them. I don't know.

I think their dogs are dangerous and not only for other dogs. They shouldn't be at dog parks. And I know that the dog park rules are that the aggressive dog must leave, not the attacked one. 

So, what would you do in my place? Thank you very much in advance for your advice. 

P.S. Please forgive me my broken English (I am pretty new in US).

Camus is doing fine. He wasn't injured. We went to the dog beach on the next day and he had great time with many dogs. 

Views: 391

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Please call the police or park authorities about this--this is criminal behavior and animal abuse and if this is indeed what was happening these people need to be prosecuted and have their dogs taken away. This is truly sickening and makes me so sad for those poor dogs and so scared for all the other people and dogs that end up in their path. All of the pit bulls that come to our dog park are very sweet dogs and I get so mad that people abuse this breed by making them so aggressive. But that's another story. The point is that what you witnessed was not only dangerous, it was illegal and has to be stopped. I'm really glad Camus is OK.

I think you should contact the city of where the park is, tell them of the incident and your suspicions....aggressive dogs are NOT allowed in our park, the signs say it everywhere. Ultimately you are responsible for your dogs safety but the City that oversees the park certainly has a vested interest in knowing. Not only are these dogs dangerous to other dogs but so are the owners, and any people that might inevitably try to separate their dogs from their dogs.

I find this appalling at best. Sorry poor Camus and you had to go through this. I would NEVER take him in again if they are there.

Who could suspect such behavior? I would not take Camus to this park again until I knew for sure these dogs were never allowed in again. What a horrible experience. You really do need to contact the authorities.
I would call the police and the park police.  At the very least, they watched their pit bulls attack and didn't do anything about it.  Even that is wrong.  And at worst, they intentionally took aggressive dogs to a dog park and provoked an attack.  I hope Camus is OK and doesn't have any lingering fear of other dogs.  They should be the ones that have to stay away from the dog park, not you.  But I wouldn't take Camus back there until I knew those people had been dealt with.

How scary! I would definitely report them, even if you dont have names or addresses. Glad you and Camus are ok.

Oh, and BTW, your English is fantastic!

What an unfortunate experience for you and Camus.  I agree, totally, that you need to report this ASAP.  Then stay out of the park any time you see them there.  Make additional calls to the Park authorities each time you see them at the park!

Thanks heavens Camus was not injured!

I agree with all comments:  stay away for now and call officials.

And your English is VERY good - I would not have noticed it was broken!

How awful that must have been for you and Camus.  I would definitely call the park authorities and file a report.  If you see those people again, I would definitely go right up to them, tell them you filed a report after the last incident and you just want to make them aware of it.  But I would definitely stay away from that park for awhile.  I'm so glad Camus is okay! 

P.S.  Your English is EXCELLENT!  :-)

First of all, I would call the police and whomever is in charge of this park and report this behavior.

Next, if they showed up when I was in the park, I would immediately copy down their license plate number and re-call the police and park authority and tell them they are back and give them the information from their vehicle. I would also leave the park as soon as they showed up and wait in the car until the authorities came. I would not engage these people in any type of conversation, etc. There is something wrong with them.

I hope Camus is ok and continues to love other dogs.

I agree with everyone else that they should be reported.  I would be very reluctant to go back to this dog park again.  You were lucky that the dogs didn't become aggressive with you when you were holding Camus.  You know the more I hear about these types of situations, the more reluctant I become to even take my dogs to parks where I don't know the other dogs and owners.  It's really a shame, but we seem to be hearing more and more stories of our Doodles being attacked.  Of course, what makes this situation even worse is that it appears to have been deliberate.  Poor Camus.

OMD!!! I am so angered by this I can't breath. Definitely call police, and be careful these people are SICK!!

If it were me, however I would find it very difficult to not try to hunt them down!!  Idiots. By the way your English is fine. English is my second language as well. Please be careful. If you look back to my blog you will see that a few days ago we had pit bull issues as well!!!

First, I am glad to hear that you and Camus are okay and that he is still happy to play with other dogs.

Second, I think that it is very important that you do report this to both the police and the city .  You can go to the police station and they will take a report.  It is unlikely that they will seem to "do" anything, but if others report the same thing they will begin to watch the dog park.  Be sure to tell them what time of day this happened.  Do not be afraid because you are new in the U.S.  If you have an American friend who will go with you for moral support, great.  It is not important if the friend saw what happened, he or she is just there for company for you.

Go to City Hall and stop at the first desk and ask where to report a problem at the dog park. Go to that department. It will probably be Parks and Recreation.  Make the same report that you made to the police.  It is important to do both of these things.  Whether it was an intentional attack or not (although it certainly sounds suspiciously like one)  this needs to be reported.  Take an American friend along with you if you can.  It is easier to do things like this if you have someone with you.

All of us were new to America at some point in our family.  I am many many generations in America and still these would be hard things for me to do.  But I would do them, because I try hard to be a good citizen.  Perhaps others before you have reported this same thing  and your report will increase the need to take action.  Perhaps yours will be the first, but will be the start of driving these people from the dog park in your city. 

The behavior of the people and their dogs is not acceptable even if it was unintentional.  They are being bad neighbors and citizens. 

If I sound a little strong or odd, it is because I spent twenty years as a school board member and one of the most frustrating things for me was trying to get people to report what happened so that we could act on it.  Schools could be much more effective in controlling bullying if students, parents and neighbors just calmly reported what they saw and trusted the school to pay attention and do something about it.  It often looks like government is "not doing anything" simply because government must carefully accumulate information, cannot share the information with the public and often must take action as privately as possible.

For instance in this case, if two or more reports were made or the police "watched" the dog park in a not obvious way and confirmed that the dogs were agressive, the people would be warned not to use any of the dog parks in the city, to keep the dogs under control at all times and would probably "cruise' the address that the people gave.  It is likely no one would ever know what happened, except those dogs and people would disappear from the dog park.

Again, I am neither of you were harmed. 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service