DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I know there have been many discussions on this
particular topic, but I just wanted to share my recent story.  I had my
first ever conversation with a doodle-disliker today.

I ran to Walmart today -- I know, I don't like it much either, but I'm a student on a budget :) -- to get some things and, like always, had to visit the pet section to check out some toys for Albus.  I got him three squeaky toys.  As I was getting my stuff checked out by the cashier, she noticed I had the dog toys and asked what kind of dog I had.  I told her I had a goldendoodle, and her disgusted response was, "It's a shame to spend a lot of money on a mixed breed dog like that."

Umm....excuse me?  I was flabbergasted.  Just the way she said it was snotty.  It was like she was trying to make me feel guilty, but I certainly don't remember asking for her opinion about my choice of dog.  I had to bite my tongue really hard so I wouldn't let the F-bomb fly or really let her have it.  I simply replied, "He's worth every penny I paid for him, and I wouldn't trade him for anything."  It was hard to hold back, but I really didn't feel like getting into a debate with the ignorant woman.  Clearly she's just uninformed and biased.  I wish I could have thought of something "mouthier" to say, but I really was at a loss for words.

What would you have said in this situation?  Would you have handled it differently than I did?  I'd like to know for next time, so I can have more things to say :)

Views: 546

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Your reply, "and it's a shame the world is filled with idiots like you". I probably wouldn't really say it but it's what I would be thinking. The correct response would be, every dog is a mxed breed of one type or another. If you have the nerve you can look at her and say " there is a village somewhere missing it's idiot and now I've found her".
In this particular case, I would have complained to the manager. You are a customer of the store and she is an employee. Rudeness to customers is unforgivable, and she was both rude and insulting to you. She might as well have asked you where you got your coat and when told, commented, "It's a shame to spend a lot of money on an ugly coat like that". Ordinarily I don't get upset by "doodle negativity" from strangers, because I don't really care what anyone thinks of my choice in dogs any more than I care what they think of my choices in cars, shoes, friends, or the way I choose to decorate my home. But this is beyond that, this is rudeness to a person who makes it possible for her to pay her bills.
I answer with "I love my mutt!!!" - have said that before. Then I walk off. Seriously, these people are idiots. The older I get (and I am not too old!), the more I say screw it to what people think about me. Excuse the wording there....
Ugh that would have upset me. I probably would not have said it but I would have thought --it's too bad that your parents never taught you manners. What is the deal with these people. You chose a pet that works best for your lifestyle.  What is the point of judging someone on a CHOICE 
Wait til you get to be my age, the freedom is great : )
That is something I do like about getting older F.....
All I can say is that I know how you feel. It's happened a lot. It really wouldn't be as bad if people were actually informed about it either. People may hate the idea of breeding mixed breeds, not my opinion but whatever. But I HATE when they spout slander (that is all untrue) about doodles to me like my dog is a monster and it's their job to tell me. For example:

I took a long walk to a Petco with Darwin yesterday. We got there, got some water, and were looking around, when a vet tech (she was there handing out flyers for her office) approached me. She asked if he was a Goldendoodle and when I said yes do you know what she said?

"You know, people say that hybrids are the perfect dogs but it's been proven that the majority of them get the bad characteristics from each breeds, and the good genes get lost." I told her that I understood you couldn't be sure what traits from which breed would be present in each puppy, but that it was HIGHLY unlikely that a dog would receive only positive characteristics, OR bad characteristics from each breed. In likelihood, a dog would get a random mix of good and "bad" traits, from each breed. If any statistic was true, it would be that the dog has a 50/50 mix of each breed.

She shook her said and stated "No, I work in a vets office and research shows that most "doodles" get ONLY bad traits from each breed." WTD? How can she say that, it's a complete lie. It makes no sense.

I also hate it when I hear "ALL doodles are hyper, aggressive, matted, nervous dogs." How could ALL doodles be that way? GRRR.
That is the most stupid thing I have ever heard--she should do some more homework on that one! This makes me think back to all the purebreds I had before my doodles. All had health or personality issues and one was really a mess mentally. I'll take the "bad traits" of my doodles any day, thank you very much!
Murphy is the only "mutt" I have ever owned....and the best dog I've ever had.
Linda....I second that!
There's little point in trying to reason with someone who is clearly incapable of reasoning.
I like that statement F, that works in all cases....I am going to print it out and memorize it - LOL

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service