DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Thank you all for the continued advice...

We are feeding Zoe Wellnes Core Grain Free Puppy.  She is 4.5 months old, approx 21 lbs.  We just left her with a friend for a few days while we were out of town, and upon returning, she seems a little thin.  I certainly don't want to overfeed, but want to make sure she is getting enough.  Please see the attached image with her specific food calorie info and the recommended amount based on this food calculator.  

It recommends ~1.7 cups per day.  I've been feeding her 2.25 cups/day.  The bag recommends 2.75 cups/day.  Let me know what you think! Thanks!

Views: 122

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Feeding guidelines are just that, guidelines. Many dogs will need more or less, depending on the individual dog. And a puppy's needs may change from one week to the next with variations in exercise levels and growth spurts. It isn't an exact science. :)

If the dog regularly leaves food in the dish, you adjust the feeding amount down. If the dog always seems like he's starving and looks for more food constantly, (and he seems thin), you adjust the amount up. 

Many dogs will not eat, or will eat less when their owners leave them somewhere, which is understandable. 

Vets are very good at assessing a dog's weight. If you are concerned, I'd ask your vet. Chances are she's just fine and getting enough to eat. 

thank you, Karen!

I agree with Karen (of course, I do--she is brilliant!) that you need to base the food amount on your dog--if you can feel the ribs more than just a bit, and if the spine and hip bones are getting prominent, adjust up!

My pups get 2 1/4 cups a day at 4 months and are between 20 and 30 pounds at that point. The amount is increased up to 1 cup three times a day and then when they are fed twice a day at 6 months, they get 1 1/2 cup at each meal.

Then it goes down to 1 cup or less when they are one year old depending on their final size--so don't be afraid to increase gradually as time goes by.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service