DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi again!! I am still in search of the perfect food for Bodi. As you know, Giardia 4x, bacterial imbalance 1x -- Panacur + Metro multiple times. A month ago his stools was formed, soft but had mucous. I took it to the vet. They said there was no parasite but that the mucous indicated bad flora in his gut. They suggested a probiotic, Proviable DC or Tylan. Bodi had been taking Proviable + Gentle Digest for 4 months so we opted for the Tylan. He took the Tylan 2x a day for 7 days -- he didn't have any marked improvement. The vet thinks his stool is soft because the food might be too rich for him. He was on TOTW, FROMM, Honest kitchen, Orijen and now she wants me to try a limited ingredient food. I came home with California Natural because I wonder if perhaps he needs grain in his diet and that might be the missing link. The foods I have fed him to date have been grain free. What do you think? I was torn between purchasing InstinctLimited Ingredients but ended up with California Natural because it is a limited ingredient with some grains...

All thoughts and suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Views: 1182

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a dog from this breeder, born April 22, 2012. We were fortunate that our dog came to us healthy and without giardia (or at least we think, he's been tested twice and doesn't have any symptoms). While the geographic location of this breeder does make her dogs more susceptible to giardia, the fact that this issue has been going on for so long is unacceptable. Especially with her position in the ALAA. As a side note, Oliver came home to us on TOTW, but it never worked well for us. While it won't cure giardia you might try a different food with simpler ingredients.

Regardless, there are a lot of DK members have a dog from this breeder and have been able to cure the giardia, but it does seem that this particular strain can be hard to treat and requires a multiple rounds of treatment and probiotics. I think most have used panacur, panacur with metro, and tinidazole. In the breeder's group you can post a discussion about giardia and get some information from those that have been able to cure.

I hope NS and FitzUs5 the best in treating their dogs. It's heartbreaking that these little cuties been fighting these issues for their whole puppy lives.

Thank you for this post, Elizabeth, it's very helpful. 

Thank you for helping everyone through all their issues (GI and other). Fortunately, we've never had any serious issues--which seems miraculous after hearing about the troubles coming from my breeder--but I know that Oliver eats a very high quality diet because of your advice!

:) 

I appreciate your help & suggestions... I am looking into the groups as you suggested. Fingers crossed.

Honestly please do post something in the group, the one nice thing about so many of the dogs having giardia is getting advice from others who have been there and successfully treated it. Also, they'll definitely understand your frustration, it seems like dedication has been the key in eliminating it. :)

Also, be careful with the repeated rounds of metro, it doesn't sound like many have had success with that. Not to mention all of the bad side effects.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service