DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Tonight I smelled a smell the likes of which I have never smelled before.  Something akin to rotting fish, but worse...more like rotting fish tangled in rotting seaweed marinating in a toxic spill.  It seemed to appear out of nowhere and drift through the house like that Dracula movie when Dracula turns himself into a vapor.  I was going nuts...sniffing and stumbling from room to room like a crazed bloodhound...desperate to find the source and bleach the hell out of it. 

Then I saw it.  A small, seemingly innocuous puddle of dirty water on the wood floor.  But the smell emanating from it....there are hardly words. I have NO idea why but it suddenly occurred to me that this was the dreaded anal glad secretion.  I have sanitized the floors...all of them bc you never know...and her ass, but how in the name of all that is good and pure do I keep this from ever happening again?  She goes to the groomer and presumably they deal with this and I've never had this happen with dogs in the past.

I know its gross, so very gross, but I'm hoping someone has some suggestions.  Thanks for reading! 

Views: 526

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh my, not a fun way to wake up! We have an occasional scoot-never a meltdown. Hope all is soon well.  

I LOVE the picture - glad that you have kept your sense of humor!  The advice others have given you pretty much covers the whole stinky subject.

Skeet had to have his glands expressed every 3 weeks by the vet. I was feeding prescription dog food. Once I was educated here about good food we switched to Blue Buffalo turkey and potato GRAIN FREE. Took him for his regular expression and they said they were empty. I can only assume it was the better quality food that fixed the problem. I totally understand about the smell. It could clear a room.
Ive only had to have Murphy's expressed one time, by the Vet and he was over 4 yrs old at the time, so I think they can have this problem at any age. Poops had been fine, so I didn't expect it, other than his doing a lot of scooting and licking the area. The Vet did show me how to do it, internally, so that I could help him should he need it in the future and it isn't hard to do. I did have to repeat it about a week after the Vet showed me as the symptoms reappeared and I havent needed to do it again in over a year now.
So if you have to have it done frequently, maybe you are willing to be taught to do it so that you can provide relief sooner than waiting to go to the Vet? Just a thought and Im sure not everyone is comfortable learning to do it. But being a nurse, it doesnt bother me.

I don't think I could do it.  I'm a nurse-midwifery student, so I can take a lot, but that smell....just knocks me off my feet.  :-) 

Hey- that's what I want to do! I just got my license though so I have a bit to go before that lol

Really?  How cool!  I have a ways to go too.  :-)

Thanks everyone.....really appreciate everyone's willingness to weigh in on such a gross issue.  I'm going to switch her to the BB Grain Free and call her vet in the morning.  I'll pass on any update from the vet if its significant. 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service