DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

The deal on my new house closes this week. I get my keys Friday and the movers are booked for the following Thursday. I can't believe it! I'm so excited and nervous at the same time.

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on getting the doodles used to their new home? I'm planning on visiting every day starting Friday until next Thursday when the movers come, and then we'll be living in the house as of next Thursday, back at work the Monday after.

I'm going to bring loads of stuff with me for each visit, and I intend to bring the doodles as much as I can and let them explore.

Has anyone had any bad experiences with moving homes? I went back and found Allyson's blog about Tacky being nervous, and I'm wondering if Winston might get a bit nervous too. How about Kitties? do they get stressed out?

One of the things I'm worried about is leaving them alone in the house for the first time. What if they think I'm leaving them there in that strange place? I have images in my head of Winnie chewing his paws off and Sophie crying and howling up a storm. I'm probably totally over reacting but still. I intend to transition them slowly and I'm sure they will respond well once they see all their and my stuff is there, but I'm a bit anxious about the move as it is and then worrying about them on top of it. I know I need to relax because they will pick up on my feelings, but that is so much easier said than done.

Do you think the official moving day will be too chaotic for them? perhaps I should find a sitter... So many questions!

Views: 565

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

LOL!

Congratulations!  It is so, so normal to feel excited and stressed but you will be so much happier and so will your fur family having the back yard and larger indoor space. Lots of great advice for the kitty and dogs.

Thanks Colleen.

We just moved last week from Michigan to Georgia. After we moved out of the MI house we stayed in a hotel for three days until my daughter got out of school for the year. Then we spent 19 hours in the car before we arrived at the new house where we lived in an unfurnished house for another 2 days before the moving truck to show up with our stuff. (Talk about a lot of changes for the pooches (and the humans!) Because of the distance, we obviously couldn't visit the new house with the dogs before we actually arrived to live there so I shipped extra dog toys and dog beds that they had used at the old house so they would have familiar scents in the new house when we arrived. They actually enjoyed the new house more before the movers came---no furniture=perfect place to play ball since the new yard isn't fenced yet. Both Cooper and Murphy have adjusted well to the new house with no problems so far.
I think taking your dogs to visit the house several times would give them a good chance to adjust and I think once the movers bring all your stuff, they will accept it as their new home as the house itself may be new but even when you leave for work, etc. all the familiar furnishings and scents will still be there.

thanks Jennifer. That is reassuring.

One piece that I learned from my move in February was that Ember needed extra time to adjust that I didn't account for. I thought she was developing separation anxiety, but really turned out to be just adjusting to the new house. I wish I would have been slower in leading up to actually leaving her... Gone back to basics with just leaving for short periods of time, etc. 

Oh no! I'm sorry that happened Jen. It's hard to know how they will react. How many days did you stay home with her before going back to work? I'll have to be disciplined and make sure I leave and come back for short periods many times before going back to work.

Congratulations to you! It looks like you have some great advise here! You must be so excited to have your own home and must have a ton of ideas going around in your head! Enjoy it and be proud!!

HI there, we just moved to a new home last winter after 20 years in the old home.  It's a huge adjustment.  Our old home was completely private on top of a mountain, and now we've moved into the local town, on a city block.   When moving day came, we took them to the groomer for the day.  They got pampered and were very safe for the move.  They've adjusted well with no problems.

Congrats on your new home !!  When I bought my house I did not have my doodles, I had a Shih-Tzu at the time, she was 14 yrs old and blind.  She stayed at my sisters house for the first week of my move.  She was old and I did not scare her with all the noises etc. of moving.  Once I settled in a bit then I brought her to my house.  She figured out the floor plan in a day and adjusted to the new house without any problems what so ever and that was with her not being blind.  Your dogs should have no problems, and it is a good idea to bring the there a few times so they can sniff and explore.  I would leave a couple of their toys there so when they visit the can find them and feel confortable.  I think they may even think its fun with a new house as long as you are calm they will be calm :)

I don't have any other advice than what was offered here, but congratulations!  You all will love it!  Keep us posted on how you all are doing in the new house!

Thanks for starting this discussion, Sherri.  After 29 years in our current house, we'll be moving soon - so I was glad to see all the suggestions regarding making the transition easier on our fur babies.  Fortunately, we'll have both houses for awhile and they're close, so we can take Sedona there often.  It's our old, deaf kitty I'm more concerned about so I was especially happy to see those suggestions.

Congratulations on your new house and good luck with the move!!!!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service