DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Dexter is probably 90-95% healed from his knee surgery.  He was moving around w/o a limp and I think he overdid it a tiny bit so we're back to making him rest a bit.

One of my friend's dogs had the same surgery and she said the limp went away totally once she started giving glucosamine daily.  I know I could call my vet to ask, but does anyone give their doodle glucosamine supplements and if so could your recommend the brand?  I would prefer something chewable if possible.  Thanks!

Views: 93

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My GR was taking glucosamine.  I was getting chewable tablets through an online pet med site (can't remember the exact name of it), but I think I had an RX for this.  She was on an over-the-counter before and my vet said it wasn't that great and recommended this RX strength instead.  This is what the bottle looked like http://www.1800petmeds.com/images/products/420/10317_420.jpg .
I take glucosamine and it really helps. So does my Mum. I know of many older dogs (and cats) who have arthritis, hip problems etc who take it and their owners say theres a huge difference! It really helps with injuries too. There are many products out there, for humans, dogs and horses. I started taking a product manufactured locally (Vancouver, Canada) for humans, then switched to their dog formula, and now  take the horse formula. They are very similar, and apart from not having such a nice flavour, the animals ones are much cheaper. I take powder, but they do come in liver flavoured tablets. http://www.purica.com/recovery_sa.htm
I took glucosamine chondroitin for years. I don't think it did me any good. I stopped when the research studies confirmed it was no better than placebo. Yet some people swear by it.

I had a 14 1/2 yr old golden retriever mix who was having a progressively harder time standing, climbing and walking. It was October and we really didn't think he would survive the winter.  I started giving him glucosamine - just the human kind that we bought at Sams Club or Costco and had in our cabinet.   About 5 days later I was in the pasture at my mom's house and out trotted Cody.  Poor guy hadn't been able to come out the the pasture in months - usually he just slept in the house until I was ready to go - but out he trotted. We continued to give him glucosamine and it was amazing.  Good ol' Cody was standing straighter and walking prouder then he had for a long time - he acted like a 11 yr old instead of a 14 yr old :-)  Cody lived another year and was in good shape until the last 2 months. 

I highly recommend trying glucosamine.  We just stuck the pill in a hotdog or smothered it in peanut butter while teasing him with another piece (he'd gulp it down to get the next one and never notice the pill).

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service