DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

On July 8 we said goodbye to our precious doodle boy. He was diganoised with Hemangiosarcoma and passed away just 7 weeks later. Quincy was 9 1/2 and for all those years he was my buddy and my best friend. He kept me sane in insane times. He was always by my side and followed me all around the house. In our house it truly was "All About The Doodle". He went everywhere with us and the only two nights he spent away from us was at the Emergency Vet. It was simple really, if the doodle couldn't go, we didn't go. He had his own seat in the van and more than once someone literally had to take a back seat to the dog. He would grudgingly share the seat with a special person but he'd give you the stink eye while he did. He was never 'just a dog', he was a cherished member of our family and his loss has wounded us deeply. He loved hiking with his mom, he would chase a ball until he dropped, he loving swimming and one of his favorite things to do was to bury his ball in the snow and dig it out over and over. We lost a lot of balls that way. He was an attention hound and would act like a naughty toddler if we had company and no one was paying him any attention. The fact that many of my throw pillows are missing their corners will attest to that. He was a creature of habit and had us well trained. Every night he had to have his special treat and a little peanut butter in his Kong. He was relentless in his efforts to get said treats, first he would sit in front of you and stare, then he would put one paw on your leg, if that didn't work he would put two paws on your leg and stare. Once he'd gotten his treats he went right to sleep and an earthquake wouldn't have budged him.

He always let me hug him and if I didn't hug tight enough he would nudge me until I did. Most dogs don't like to be hugged, he was the exception but only for his Mom and Dad. He always made people smile just to see him. When he was younger, before doodles became more numerous folks driving down the street would be pointing and smiling. He was gentle and tolerant even when he was being chased by a toddler or was being used as a doll bed. He did give someone a black eye once but there was a ball involved and it was an accident. Was he perfect? No, but he was perfect for us and we loved him beyond reason. He was an eighty pound lap dog with no regard for personal space. Anywhere he could perch be it on your feet, leg or even your shoulder worked just fine for him.

Quincy died at home in his Mom's arms after a day spent at the beach and wading in the ocean. While we knew that he could die at anytime we let him do all his favorite things. Our activities became a little less intense and our walks became his walks entirely. If he wanted to stop to sniff every bush, rock and twig that's what we did.

The house is so empty and quiet without him and sometimes if I listen really hard I can almost hear those paws clicking across the floor. The back door still has his nose prints and I can't quite bring myself to clean them off just yet. My non-shedding doodle shed quite a bit and every day I am still picking white doggy fur off of something. I used to grumble about all the fur but at the same time if I had to clean it up with a shovel it would have been worth it. These day when I find a stray bit of his fur on my clothes or hiding under the furniture I sometime pick it up with tears but more ofter with a smile.

Quincy added so much to our lives, laughter, joy, love and friends. When Quincy was 9 months old I joined a site called Doodle Kisses and thanks to that site I learned so much but the most valuable thing was the wonderful friends we gained. Friends who bonded online over their love of doodles, photography and their willingness to help doodles or friends in need. Some of those friends went from being names on a screen to real life friends in my backyard. We've had a lot of fun over the years, shared lots of laughs and sometimes tears. Actually I think of it as more than a group of doodle friends I think of them as doodle family. Thank you my friends for the lovely notes and thoughts, for the phone calls, gifts and mostly for sharing my happiness in my doodle and my sadness at his loss.

Views: 791

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Donna, Quincy will always be one of my special doodlekisses doodles.  I looked forward to your gorgeous photos of him.  I hope you submit some of this year's for the calendar.  I'd love to have one more chance to admire Quincy for an entire month.

I am so sorry for your loss...(((hugs)) to you and your family....He'll be missed but never forgotten!

Oh, I am so saddened by the loss of your Love.  Very handsome, simply gorgeous.  I was just showing my granddaughter his picture on the calendar the other day...and she asked "Is that an Iceberg?"  and I was telling her how you take Quincy all over and get marvelous pictures!  My heart is heavy.  7 weeks ... unbelievable.  He was so lucky to have you as his mumma...and in return your goodbye tells us how much love he returned.  These sweet darlings are truly remarkable.  9 1/2 years is never nearly enough time...100 isn't enough either.  Thinking of you Donna.

We loved Quincy and we love you Donna. 

I'm caught between tears and smiles at such a touching tribute to our sweet friend. He will always be the handsome, fluffy, sit on your lap, ball loving :), mom and dad adoring, sweet boy that we got to know and love. Tom still smiles at how when he was sitting on the floor, Quincy would back up and sit all of his fluffy self in Tom's lap, happy as can be! :) We love him and you and Gord. You're in our hearts. 

Oh Donna, I'm so sorry to hear this.  My heart goes out to you.  Quincy was definitely a celebrity in my house and I always looked forward to his handsome calendar photos and seeing gorgeous Newfoundland!

So sorry for your loss. Our precious fur babies make difficult times a wee bit easier. It is so sad when we lose them, their love and their special looks and kisses. May your heart mend.

Oh no ~ Donna, I have not been able to visit DK much in the last few months and I just happened into the site today to look at the photo submission.  Your post was one of the first things I noticed.  I am so sorry for the loss of your handsome Quincy. He was so special in every way - and I loved to see him in those beautiful landscape settings in the calendar.  From your posts, I felt I knew you & Quincy.  Charlie & Beau are now 8 and 6 respectively.  It saddens me to see so many of the doodles that were so visible on DK when we joined the site now crossing the Rainbow Bridge. This just brings so many tears.   Again, I am very sorry you are going through this.

What a beautiful boy!  So sorry for your loss.  May you find peace. 

I'm so sad to hear this.  We lost our Mater to Hemangiosarcoma on May 6th, only 2 weeks after his diagnosis.  Somehow losing them to this 'silent killer' was the cruelest kind of death.  One moment they are active and playful as ever, and the next they are just gone.  Our grief has been enormous, and we have 3 other dogs (2 Goldendoodles).  The house was still unbearably quiet, so I can't imagine yours.  After 3 months, I got my husband a new puppy, as I was so afraid I was losing Tom as well.  It helps a little, but nothing can replace a heart dog.

Know that we share in your grief and pray for a treatment for this awful disease.  Quincy will be remembered. 

I do wish I had the time to spend on Doodlekisses that I once had.  I miss the family feeling we all shared.  

May you find comfort in the wonderful memories.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Hugs to you and your family!!! 

I want to say 'Thank You' so much for the beautiful thoughts about my precious boy. My intention was to respond to each of you but it kind of got away from me. Still searching for a new normal, I think I've forgotten how to go for a walk without a doodle by my side, it just feels wrong so I've started biking instead. Quincy did not enjoy biking the one time we tried it.

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”

—Dean Koontz (author)

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service