DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Karen (Jackdoodle) contacted me privately and asked me to share our story.....she felt it was valuable to share with some of our new puppy owners here on DK.  I have been a member since early 2008 and after much consideration felt obligated to share our heartbreak despite knowing how difficult it would be.

In May of last year, Gaston-Cramer suddenly became disinterested in food.  Within 12 hours of careful observation we knew something was terribly wrong and took him to our vet.. After hundreds of dollars of diagnostic testing (showing nothing) and x-rays “showing something possibly made of fiber” emergency surgery was performed and the knot of a braided fleece DOG TOY was lodged and removed from the base of his esophagus. Despite the remarkable care he received from our vet, he was left with permanent damage to his esophagus that required him to be hand fed specially prepared food. Needless to say we did this willingly and our lifestyles changed dramatically. We adjusted all that we did to care for him. Ever grateful he was still with us; we were more than willing to tend to his needs. He would have good days and bad. Without getting into the heart wrenching  specifics, a few weeks ago, Gaston made a turn for the worse and the decision was made to let him go in peace instead of fear. Surrounded by all of us that loved him, and in the arms of our 15 year old son, we said a tearful goodbye to our beloved “GC”.

Despite all our precautions we have in our home....locked pantries, bolted doors, child locked cabinets and laundry bags hanging from above to name a few....ACCIDENTS HAPPEN! Unless you have your eyes on your dogs 24/7 there WILL be times that you will BLINK and the unthinkable occurs. To think that it won't is unrealistic and judgmental. As a practical suggestion (especially for those with small children) put walk through gates on your children's bedroom doors. This allows the children's room doors to still remain open and creates a buffer between your puppy/dog and children's toys.....stuffed animals and clothing. We have gates up and our children are young adults. It's much more practical than having children clean their room each time they leave it and impossible for a doodle to open....yes, our sweet Rosie can open ANY door knob. A walk through gate she can’t.   ;)

Please don't let Gaston's death be in vain.....take ATLEAST the precautions we have with our three doodles....do NOT leave your laundry unattended.....do NOT give them a fabric toy that can easily be torn apart in a blink of an eye and  swallowed.....GET INSURANCE!!!!!!!!!!

My warning here is clear.....NO ONE can watch their dogs 24/7....if they say they are they are lying or do not have a healthy lifestyle...... .... we ALL are REQUIRED as stewards and caregivers of these sweet creatures to do WHATEVER we can to take PRECAUTIONS. Despite them, ACCIDENTS can and WILL happen. Doodles, by nature, are curious little fur balls and sneaky! That can and WILL outwit you!

Ultimately, what caused Gaston's damage was the knot of a braided fleece DOG toy that created a plug that didn’t allow anything to come in or out. . It doesn't negate the rest of the warnings but clarifies how accidents can happen even with  dog toys --- and WILL!

Insurance is not a get out of jail free card.....but it is a buffer....a buffer between a choice you can make and a choice you may have no option but to make.  Gaston’s care reached close to $4000. 

Rest in Peace sweet boy.  You served as an incredible ambassador for the doodle community in your living  and your passing will not be in vain.  

Gaston-Cramer   September 11, 2008----February 7, 2014 

Views: 889

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rest in peace sweet boy, thank you for sharing your story as hard as it was!

Thank you

Such a sad sad loss. Thank you for sharing in the hopes that people will take heed and protect their pups from a similar accident. Sometimes though, accidents can happen no matter how much we try to prevent them. It's all about minimizing the risks. RIP sweet Gaston

It is absolutely all about minimizing the risks Nicky.  Thank you

Thank you for sharing, i'm so sorry for your loss.

Will definitely take the advice you've shared to heart

Thank you

Carole, I'm so sorry for your loss, and thank you for your story. It is so true that even with one's best efforts, accidents can and do happen. At those times insurance really does help when making costly decisions. Great suggestion about baby gates, too.

Thanks Debb

Thank you for sharing your story Carole. I am so sorry you had to say goodbye to you beautiful boy. I really hope others learn from your story. We cannot give Quincy soft toys of any kind for exactly that reason. 

Thanks Donna....you are right...it's not just braided fleece toys.  Any stuffed animal...lovey....chew toy can be dangerous when you least expect it.  I'm glad you are so proactive with Quincy.

Oh Carole, I'm so sorry about Gaston-Cramer.  What a sad ending.  I still remember when you first got him and all that your daughter did to work with him and your plans for his sweet little self.  May he rest in peace.

You made me cry Adina....you were such a huge part of Gaston's first month/year.  Thank you for remembering

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service