DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Help! My 3 1/2 month old labradoodle has been throwing up all day, a total of six times. I am not feeding him because of it, but have water available at all times. I was out for a bit while my son took care of him. He said the last time he threw up it looked like he threw up a piece of bone and some string-like material. Should I try feeding him?  Or just wait until tomorrow?

Views: 259

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cynthia, he needs to see a vet ASAP. I personally would go to the ER tonight, but no later than tomorrow a.m. for sure. 

Do not feed him. Is he drinking any water? 

Yes, he is drinking some water. He really looks subdued. Thanks so much for responding. Is there anything else we can do tonight until he take him to the vet tomorrow?

Not really. It sounds like he probably ingested something inedible, which I know has happened before. Some of it may still be in his GI tract. The danger is in his becoming dehydrated, but depending on what it was he ingested, there is the possibility of obstruction, or worse. The string is worrisome.  I'd keep a close eye on him, because this kind of thing can be life-threatening. 

I suspect he ate something and is trying to get rid of it. I'd take to vet and let them examine him and take an X-ray.

I would go now as well. I have had experience with an obstruction and if this is an obstruction (which I would not be in the least bit surprised if it was based on what you've said), time is of the essence. If the object stays in too long, it could cause tissue death in his intestines which makes for a much more complicated surgery and longer recovery. 

Please keep us updated. I hope all goes well.

So how is your dog today?

Hi. Thanks everyone for your replies. Happily, he seems okay now. He had a BM this morning, it was formed normally, but had some colored specks in it.  My husband thinks he ate some crayons and who knows what else. He ate today and is being his usual mischievous self.  Thanks again!!

That is good news, but keep an eye on him for several days making sure he is drinking, eating, and having regular BMs.  Since he is so young, you might consider keeping him crated or in a gated off area when no one is able to watch him.  That will help control the eating of things he should not.  Good Luck.  

Thanks Linda, I think you are right that he needs more supervision that I thought!  He gets into things more than my older dog did when he was young, so I need to adjust accordingly!

I'm glad to hear that he's better, but it has to have been more than crayons, since he brought up "a piece of bone and some string-like material" yesterday. I'd keep a very close eye on him, and I agree with Linda that he needs to be gated or otherwise confined when nobody can watch him. 

I have one that never ate non-foods and another that will eat anything she can get into her mouth. Socks were her fav.  So yes, adjusting your house for him is a must. Every dog is different.  You can do the best you can with monitoring him, but they are quick and see things at floor level you may not see.  Glad he is better though. 

Thanks Sue!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service