DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

We just received a phone call from the vet confirming Honey (only 8 months old!) has 2 partially torn ACLs!!!! Our vet's office has an orthopedic surgeon as well and he agreed with our vet and asked that the x-rays be sent to a radiologist to double check. All three are in agreement it is both knees.

How can this be? Our poor Honey!! She's on meds to control the pain.

The vet is talking about surgery on BOTH knees with extensive recovery time.  Honey would have to be still with no exercise. Did I mention she is only 8 months old?

I'm sure it must have happened when Honey and Shadow were chasing and wrestling, they always have a good wrestle and run. 

The vet said it is going to cost anywhere from $1500-$2500 that's PER KNEE!!!! Tears are flowing as I'm writing this and my heart is breaking. We can't pay for this. We've already spent over $2,000 in medical bills on her just in the last 4 months! What am I going to do? I love her so much. If we don't do the surgery than she will either get a full tear in one or both knees and get arthritis and have to be on constant pain meds until she can't take it anymore. I can't do that to her. I feel horrible. I told the vet I heard that sometimes it can heal on its own.  She wasn't as hopeful because Honey is bigger (50 pounds) and generally speaking that happens in smaller dogs and it's not all that common.

HELP!!! What do I do??

Views: 2658

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, this is upsetting and completely not surprising, but I am glad however that, although we are affected by it, DK did lead her to DRC and that is reassuring in the sense that Honey will get the best chance of a future. Certainly better than many of the alternative choices that could be made.

The decision was already made. We'll just have to do what we can to help if she shows up with DRC.

What happens now if Honey get accepted into the DRC? Is the DRC typically able to get surgeries for these doodles?

In the past, extraordinary veterinary expenses like this for a homeless dog have required fund raisers. But I don't think we should speculate about it at this point. 

All the lecturing and fussing is contradictory - - how about some support here?    I may be a newbie, but when is it ok to toss gasoline on a burning fire?  This woman has asked for help and I would turn back the clock to sign in sonner -

Dear Doodle - no judgment here - walk a mile in my shoes...   Doodle, nothing from me here but the very best of wishes for you and your family.  If I can help, send pm

Sally, all you have to do is read Regina's story about Hurley and you will know what the people here are all about, especially the ones that are now angry and upset. Regina came here with a not too different story.  She was not a member here but came distraught and had a loved doodle who needed extensive surgery with no means to pay for it and no pet insurance. The difference was that she listened to all the advice here, she never once mentioned that she would consider surrendering Hurley and with a lot of work from her and the support of many many strangers she got the help she needed.  Hurley is now well and the whole process provided her and her children a valuable lesson in caring and giving. Honey's owner got the same advice but didn't take it.  That is the difference and the awful result is a Doodle who now has an uncertain future.  Enough said.

Sally, I'm sensing a little judgement here myself. If our advice had been heeded about now we'd be reaching into our pockets and helping out with the expenses of the surgery but sadly we can't do a thing to help with the care that Honey will need during her recuperation which I think is the real issue. So many people come here looking for us to say "there, there, it's okay to dump you dog because she is sick", that's not going to happen. We do everything we can to help and keep a doodle with the family they love and the poster doesn't always hear what they want. If you look at doodles in the DRC program and see why they are there you would understand. We're not cold or unfeeling we've just been around this site longer and have seen too much. 

Sally welcome to DK, stick around awhile and you'll know where all of this is coming from.

Read this, this is very typical of what happens.

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/25580714

I guarantee that if Honey ends up with the DRC, the very people "fussing" will be the same ones to dig deep into their pockets and help this Doodle. Since when is it ok to dump a family member when they are sick or need help?  The issue initially was money and when we solved that hurdle, it was something else.  It always is and the one that suffers is the dog. I pray Honey gets the help she needs and her next home will be her forever home.  I am also relieved that a rescue agency was contacted and Honey did not find herself at a shelter.

'Hear, hear'

I agree - and I frankly wish there were no need for rescue agencies, shelters, or.... but there is.

While I do appreciate the link to to PetFinder, I am very very familiar with rescue and the reasons/needs for such and there simply is no perfect world.       I must say that the phrase <typical of what happens> is a bit broad.    I also implies that all empty nesters are lousy dog people -  typical thinking is judgmental.

Never in my life will I advocate dumping a family member, but I do think that it's important to remember that the dogs are different and so are people.  The dog needs help, the family needs help, and shaming is a way to make a situation worse - not better.  

I am not arguing, just saying that it's not the first time a poster has been shot down while waving a white flag - - search for the downed plane takes a lot of time and does damage to all.

Sally, I just wanted to say that Donna is an empty nester, as am I. I think the case being made is someone committed to a dog when their children were in high school and now changed their minds once the kids are grown. Did they not know when they got the dog that they would be empty nesters during the dog's lifetime? I am sorry, but I see that as an incredibly selfish act, no matter their age or status in life. My heart breaks for these dogs, that are considered no more than a piece of property, to be dumped at will, and the confusion they must feel.

This group is not about shaming, but when you get on a dog website and ask for help and then toss it back in our face when help is offered and keep coming up with excuses, you are not going to get many positive, supportive responses. There is just no sincere way to say, "We are so happy that you are dumping your dog when it needs you the most. We are so glad your children won't have to step over baby gates and whisper any more. Best wishes to you!"

I am not sure what else you are replying to about shooting down other posters, but you are definitely entitled to your opinion.  This is a wonderful community and I stand by that statement.

I wish there were a perfect world, because it breaks my heart every time I hear another one of these stories. I wish the best for Honey and will gladly contribute when the time comes for her surgeries.

Typical in what happens in the sense that the dog has become an inconvenience so it gets dumped, it no way implies that empty nesters are bad dog owners. There will always be situations that require rescue organizations but it shouldn't be just a dumping ground. Save that for the misused, abused and homeless creatures that need saving. There was no white flag unless you mean in the sense that 'I give up, this dog is more trouble that it's worth'. For what it's worth, I don't think the poster is the problem here but someone else who is calling the shots.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service