DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I'm asking because 3 of my guys get all crazy afterward with the zippies. But Mac gets very very clingy. He won't leave my side for the rest of the day. I'm not sure what that's all about. I havent mentioned it here because in between his bath I tend to forget but today I had time after. Of course my mind thinks he only got a bath when he was rescued and then was thrust into all new experiences that were probably frightening like he was shaved down to a poodle, was sent to a "rescue" where he lived in an outdoor pen, etc but I'm sure I am putting my feelings into this too much. I just feel bad for the dude even though I just act normal afterward to not play into it. He even seems to have so much nervous energy after and really chews on his antler very aggressively. He's doing it right now.
I want him to be Ok with grooming and baths because he needs constant upkeep on his coat. This poor doodle has the craziest hair. There is a lot of it, very wispy and it doesn't fall out so it mats like crazy even with frequent brushes.
Anyway, thoughts? How do your doodles act? My others are like crazy doods after running like banchees.

Views: 267

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

All of mine have been..... C R A Z Y!  Running to the rug in the living room and throwing themselves down to dry their heads, rub all over, get their smell back...etc.  It's madness for a few minutes if I set them FREEEEE.  So I try to keep a leash on them or take them right outside (on leash) to shake shake SHAKE their wiggles out. 

Yup Adina, that's how 3 of mine are too. All the more reason I scratch my head about Mac.

Ruby loves her bath, but since the first I have snuggled with her for about an hour afterward which she adores. I wrap her tightly in a couple of big bath towels. When she finally gets up she shakes her hair out and runs around gleefully. Hopefully Mac will learn to enjoy baths and the snuggle time afterward.

Cute Ruby!
Mine runs around like a crazy man, flopping himself on the floor in hopes of ditching his fresh smell!

Leo runs around crazy and the towel becomes a thing to bite/tug of war. Lots of zoomies for sure. 

Crazy zoomies here too. He will run to his big dog pillow and do this jump and twist dance all over the pillow! Fun to watch!
Gavin likes to dry his own ears. He goes to the basement, puts one ear down on the carpet and runs the length of the room. He then puts the other ear down and makes the return trip. Then he rolls.
I wouldn't worry about Mac. I think you are doing the right thing by down playing it.

Too funny! Winnie does the same thing, but not the whole length of the room. That's hilarious!

Shake, run, rub.  And he tries to stay just out of reach.  It's like he's telling me, "NO, you are not giving me another bath!" 

I bathe a LOT of doodles--and most are very excited after a bath (I groom about 20 doodles and a few Portuguese water dogs as a small business)--I think you may be right about the bath bringing up bad memories--maybe it will fade over time. Some dogs are also very uncomfortable with their new smell--they like smelling like a dog in the pack and suddenly they smell all flowery and nice! When I give the puppies I raise their first bath and then put them back in the pen with their siblings, they get sniffed like crazy!! The other pups are very curious about why their sibling smells so funny!!

Yep, my two are crazy girls also.  First they throw themselves down onto towels on the floor to dry their heads, then run around the house like maniacs.  Poor Mac, hopefully he becomes more comfortable with the whole bath thing over time.  (Then there's Beasley, who groans and cries while she's getting a bath...what a water dog!  Lol)

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service