DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi guys!! I wanted to touch base with you and let you know how Hurley is doing. Over the weekend he was great. No issues. Monday afternoon I came home and noticed Hurley was just not acting right at all. He seemed in discomfort and kept shaking his head. So of course, I sit down next to him and start looking over his entire head. I lifted his left ear and saw some sort of rash on him. It was not in his ear but on his head. I will post a picture on his photo page soon. I noticed there was a discharge coming from it. I called Dr. Genovese and within the hour I was at his office. He said he thinks Hurley has been rubbing himself in the cone and it started this infection. He clipped the hair around it and scrubbed it with some medical flush. He sent me home with more medicine for Hurley. Today, Dr. G called and wanted me to bring Hurley back in. I went in at 3 today. Dr. G was not happy with the way it was still looking and switched his medicine again. He is now on a very strong Topical steroid spray and a medical flush. We can't have this infection spreading to his incision site....that is what is scaring me. He said it would be a nightmare if this spreads to his cysts that are remaining or where he had surgery.
I have been keeping constant vigil on him today. I won't leave his side. I have the cone off of him and his ear up so it can get air where the infection is. We are torn when it comes to the cone issue. A soft cone might work. A donut blow up cone, he may still rub his incision site on the couch or wall.

His incision is not what bothers with. He is going nuts with this rash infection thing going on. I have him on benadryl to help relieve him. I thought for some reason...surgery will happen everything will be fine and then his next surgery. He just keeps getting things things come up with him, that I feel put us one step back. I am spending my days caring for him and making sure he is ok. I feel like sometimes I am putting other things on the back burner because he needs me. I am going to be by his side every step of the way. When Dr. Genovese called me today and asked if he could see Hurley, I said yes. He said he knows I am busy and have my kids and lots going on. I told him when ever he wants to check on Hurley I am bringing him in. Wouldn't you do the same thing? I can't let this infection get out of control. So I am staying by his side and getting him through this..

I hope next year this time I am going to be posting Hurley and all his hair grown back, posting pictures of him playing with other dogs and talking about the crazy silly things he did that day. No mention of the word cyst, infections, needles, doctor visits....I just know it will come one day....

Thank you all for your prayers, well wishes, advice and donations for Hurleys surgery and recovery care....you have helped Hurley have a chance at having a long life....

I am going back again tomorrow so Dr. G can see Hurley again. I feel like this vet has totally taken Hurley under his wing and is just as determined to see him get through this just as much as me and my family, and of course, my family here on DK....

Doodle Kisses,

Regina and Hurley

Views: 402

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So sorry to hear about this setback, but I am glad you caught it quickly.   Hurley is lucky to have you looking after him!   Hang in there and give Hurley an extra hug from Cooper and me. 

Sigh! One step forward and two steps back huh? Hopefully the new meds control the infection and it doesn't spread. Thinking of you all.

I am so sorry to read about this set back.  it makes me cry for both of you.

I hope so much that it starts healing & does not spread.

Thinking of you guys....

I always check for Hurley updates! So sorry to hear of his setback. I think he is very lucky to have you and his vet looking out for him!! One day his hair will grow back and he will be playing outside and this will all be a memory. Keep us updated! Saying prayers for you and Hurley.

Regina, I am sorry to hear about Hurley's set back, but you are doing the right thing by staying by his side to help him get thru this. You are so lucky to have Dr. G as a vet, someone who really cares about Hurley and trying everything to get him well and back to normal again. We had a vet like that with our dog before we got Morgan and Maddie. She had some sort of Auto Immune Disease, and he tried everything he could think of to help her. It was so reassuring when he would call us on a Sunday afternoon, or at 8:00 at night, just checking to see how she was doing. So, hang in there, and know that we are all here for you - sending prayers and good thoughts your way!

Hang in there - you are being such a good mommy to Hurley!  He will be okay!

Sorry to hear about Hurley's infection. Still praying. Hang in there, it will be better.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service