DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I'm a little embarassed to post this but I'm feeling very naive.  I had NO idea how much is involved in grooming a doodle.  Not that it's a problem per say but my 1st grooming experience with a groomer was a bit of a disaster and my doodle was mad at me for 2 full days.  I cried A LOT those 2 days!  So I am very apprehensive to dive back in.  And the idea of using scissors myself...yikes!  So here are my questions and if anyone could share their wisdom...I would be very appreciative.  I'm new to this community and I have never seen such a caring and supportive bunch, so thanks in advance for your insight.

Matting - when does this start to happen?  My doodle will be 4 months this Sat.  Does it happen to all doodles?  Do you have to shave them to avoid the problem? ...I so love a shaggy doodle.

Bathing - How often are you supossed to do this I've heard everything from 4-6 weeks but to be careful cuz their skin gets dry..What do you recommend?  what shampoo do you use?

Cleaning the eyes - is there a product or process that makes this easier?  The eye gunk is very hard to remove.

I have no idea what kind of coat my doodle has wool or fleece??? Can someone explain the difference?  I just know he is shaggy and has a wavy very soft coat.  And this changes right?  When does that happen?  I hear about all kinds of tools and have NO IDEA what to buy.  All I have is a pin brush which my doodlw would rather eat then have me use it...ugh!

Thanks again everyone!  This group is amazing!

Views: 410

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What a grand idea... KidKisses for mom's of newborns! Well, maybe they have those now too. My kids are 37 and 34. No internet then. hee hee.

Great name Bonnie!  KidKisses for Doodle mom's!  All the post will say Is it Yappy hour yet!

My Lyric ALWAYS wants to eat the eye gunk-I guess i will let her!

And my grooming table FOLDS (Petedge.com has good prices)but you can also get a rubbery mat to prevent slipping and put the dog on any table--they behave MUCH better when they are off the floor. 

The grooming group WILL help and there are videos on how to groom a doodle on Youtube. If you have no experience with this at all, go slowly and do the puppy in sections so you both don't get too tired or frustrated. He may look a bit funny for a few days as you work from one part of him to another, but it will save you both from getting too upset. 

this is too funny. DH and I BOTH feed Lola her eye gunk. It's better than having to get up and walk to the sink/garbage! I'm not going to get into all the questions (since they've mostly been answered) but with the bathing...I think you'll get into your groove after a while. I thought we had to bathe Lola once a week, but then she got some seriously dry skin, so we backed it off to once every few weeks...now it's just when I notice she's getting a little dirty or her coat's flat. I just use my own shampoo (Dove!), it doesn't dry her out and it keeps her super soft!

So once I get over my gag reflex to feeding my pup his eye gunk..Seriously just threw up a lil bit!!! LOL!

I'm going to have to figure out how to get my zoomie prone doodle to sit still for a brushing and not go after the brush with a vengence!  Oh my the prospect of getting him to settle long enough is daunting.  Is there a time in the day that's best for this...  or something I can give him to do so that he likes it? 

I started brushing my dogs right before a walk each evening.  When they see the brushes come out now, they get excited because they know they also get walked. 
GREAT idea Jane!  I love that time with him so this could be a good place to start - you're the best!
Carol's suggestion of a grooming table is a very good one!  I found Rosco was MUCH calmer up high than on the floor. You don't have to use a pro table though at this age.  Put puppy on any high platform, throw a towel on any table for instance in the meantime.  Before I got a table, I would give Rosco a stuffed Kong or bully stick while I brushed him so he would be busy eating/munching and ignore me better. Just practice it daily...teach puppy to relax when you need him to while being groomed.  Show him the brush and give him a treat...repeat lots.  Next time touch him with the brush and give him a treat...repeat lots.  Next time run the brush over him briefly and treat him....repeat.  Gradually convince him the brush is an awesome thing and he'll see it and come running to you for some brushing.  What kind of brush do you have?

Fantastic...That's exactly what I needed!  You should start a website!  hee-hee

the Brush I use has a round head and metal like pins sticking up...I had no direction when I purchased this.  The kid at Petco was shall I say less than helpful..

Rosco hated his legs being brushed until I bought the Chris Christensen T Pin Brush.  Once I started using that he didn't mind anymore and actually learned to LOVE a good brush down. However, he doesn't mat...he's an F1 labradoodle who LOOKS like a dog that doesn't shed, but he does shed plenty.  So the fact he doesn't get matted might make brushing easier on him.
Is there a certain size i should get?  I looked them up and there are quite a few to choose from.  Dempsey does not shed as of yet.  Hoping that it stays that way.  I already took your advice and started do in the brush - treat, brush treat idea and it worked pretty well but it's definitely hard to do when he keeps laying down. But I'll keep at it.  A bully stick may be in order but to be honest I do not like how they smell and use them when I'm truly desperate to keep him occupied and not knawing on me or my daughter....this just may come to that Ha!  Do you dry your dogs with a hair dryer or do you air dry them?  Thanks for taking the time to respond by the way.  I'm sure you get tons of questions. 
I can't remember how the sizing goes but their customer service folks might assist you. Again mine is a shedder and doesn't mat so what works for mine may not work for yours. I don't blow dry, I air dry. But I HAVE blown dry on days I washed Rosco in the morning and had a therapy visit that afternoon. I didn't try to dry him completely, just enough so he wasn't WET and dried sooner.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service