DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

We started a new training session with Chewie last night and the trainer had mentioned trying a martingale collar to help with his pulling on the leash for walks. In researching this it sounds like it is more for keeping your dog from getting out of their collar. Does anyone use one?

Views: 177

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is some information on the these collars in the Ring Around the Collar group.
Thanks, I did not even think to look for a group !!! Still getting used to all this wonderful resource.
We got one for Lucy at the trainers suggestion, but we got the nylon type with the chain only at the top. She has so much fur though it kept getting stuck in the chain. We ended up going with the Gentle Leader Head Harness. In hindsite, for what it is worth, I wish I had just trained harder and gotten them to stop pulling when they were little rather than going the route of the training collar, because we are still using the gentle leader and they are almost 2 years old. If you plan to do Therapy Work, most Therapy Organizations don't allow training collars. Delta Society does but they are one of the few.
We bought the gentle leader harness rather than the head type one. It has completely stopped his pulling, and he doesn't mind having it on at all. However, we still do 15 minute training sessions with his normal collar and leash, to reinforce the heel command, as the harness doesn't actually train them it just prevents pulling.
We use one all the time. You can get them specially made with a quick release similar to a regular collar. Basically, it's a collar with an extra loop of collar material. The leash connects to the loop so you can give a quick correction which tightens the collar but immediately releases. I've found that it does help with pulling. Of course it is just one method to try. Gentle Leaders and easy walk harness are other options to try for pulling.
I like martingale style collars. I think they can be a great tool. But I don't see how they would help with pulling. If the purpose is to help with pulling the leash on walks, I would suggest a gentle leader easy walk harness or a head halter instead. Both of these would be more effective at reducing pulling than a martingale collar.
Thank you all again for the wonderful advice. I am going to look at a few options and see what works best. Doodle owners so helpful !!! I am not if I would survive the "puppy stage" without all of you !
We use the gentle leader head harness for Harvey's pulling. It's made all the difference in the world!! He used to pull and pull but 2 minutes after we put the gentle leader on, he stopped. He's two now and we still use it because when we don't he knows and starts pulling again (not as bad as before though). But when he has it on, he walks like a perfect gentleman!! Nancy
I also had to use a gentle lead for Samantha when she turned about 7 months old. she got very obnoxious for a few months. Our trainer had suggested it.
I am a little concerned that your trainer suggested a martingale instead of a gentle leader harness or halter. The martingale can be used for corrections when the dog is paying too much attention to another dog or human, etc but I have never found that it will stop a dog from pulling.
I am just saying..........
I just checked - your Chewie is 20 weeks old!?!?!? NO martingale~!!!!!!!!!!!!
I now have more concerns about your trainer to have suggested a martingale instead of a gentle leader.
I am no trainer but in the past year have gone through Puppy classes with 2 doodles.
PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE
several times a day approximately 10 minutes each session. Walk with a treat next to your thigh in your left hand, loose leash in right hand, Use lots of verbal praise. When Chewie 'gets' that is where he is supposed to walk, dont use a treat while you walk- lots of verbal praise. Walk over to where you placed a few treats on a table, make him sit and when he does, he gets the treat. Little by little the treats should be removed but when you give them, it should be in different places. You have to keep him guessing.
This is all in my opinion........
As walking gets better, less food treats and more praise treats.
Yeah we are definitely going to try the gentle lead. Do you think that Chewie is too young for the martingale collar? Thanks.
IMO - Yes, I do think any pup under a year is too young for a martingale where it is being used for training. Obviously, there are breeds that need them from the start for physical reasons - Greyhounds.
I didn't put one on Samantha until she was past a year old. We went from a regualar collar, to the gentle leader head halter, to a martingale and now back to a buckle collar since she was 18 months old.
I am no vet - this is just my Mommy thinking. Their bones are still growning so any overt pressure (the correction with the martingale) I believe may cause a problem.
I would be very interested in your trainers reasoning for suggesting a martingale over a gentle leader whether it be a head halter or harness. If you ask her/him and you get an answer, please write and tell me.
Good luck - keep me posted on how the walking is going. Samantha is going to a Senior Celebration at a local Senior Center Saturday. We will be working very hard for the next 36 hours on walking nicely on a leash. I walk 2 doodles and I haven't walked Samantha by herself since July so we need an intense brushup - probably more me than Samantha.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service