DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

We started a new training session with Chewie last night and the trainer had mentioned trying a martingale collar to help with his pulling on the leash for walks. In researching this it sounds like it is more for keeping your dog from getting out of their collar. Does anyone use one?

Views: 177

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My trainer also suggested a martingale collar during Darwin's puppy kindergarten class. I chose not to use one because I have read that a puppy's trachea can be fragile while it is still developing and you can do damage to their throats at that age. She suggested the martingale over the head harness because dog's usually can't stand having it on their face. I think the easy walk harness should solve this problem though.
Thank you for the information. I am going to check with the trainer. I do not want to harm Chewie. It sounds like the gentle leader will be our best option at this time. Good Luck on Saturday. I bet the senior citizens love seeing Samantha !!
We found that the Martingale caused some serious matting on Ned.
I have found martingales to be pretty useless except in keeping a dog from escaping its collar. But as someone who has also trained her dog extensively with a choke chain, I can tell you that the martingale doesn't have much more potential for injury than a regular ol' flat collar...it never tightens completely and unless you give a hard correction it doesn't do a whole lot more than the flat collar...not really. I don't think it poses any danger worn with supervision.
Thanks for the information. I am going to try the Easy Walk Harness and see if that makes a difference.
I think it will make a huge difference, you will love it!
As someone who started very early (10-12 weeks) with training "No Pull" and stopping every 6 inches because he would pull-pull-pull....I can say I really don't think starting early helped me at all. I then got the Gentle Leader Head Harness and altho he HATED it, he no longer pulled. I did that for a few months, (started at about 5 months old, cus he was getting so big it hurt to be pulled), then would try with a regular leash, always keeping the Harness on hand. If I had to stop and say "No Pull' more than one or two times, on it went.
When he got better, but not completely cured, I got the Easy Walk harenss and I use that all the time now. He does great with it and I see no reason to stop using it. He's now 13 months old.
As for any collar around his neck, he seems to really gag and gasp for air whenever his collar is pulled. Like when pulling him off someone or stopping him short when he wants to take off. So that is another reason I'm going to stay with the harness. (Maybe he's just learned to make those sounds cuz he knows it scares mommy and she stops pulling?)
These doodles are pretty smart. I bought the Easy Walk harness (trying to be nicer) after work today. I put it on him with the leash and the little booger would not stop biting the leash !! I guess I am going to have to get the Gentle Leader even though I know he is going to hate it !! But we HAVE to learn leash manners !!!
I don't think the Gentle Leader will prevent him from biting his leash, all it does it stop them from pulling.
We started using a Halti for Chase because he was pulling so hard - despite passing his obediance class that included walking nicely on a loose leash!! I love it, it really stops him pulling. But, we do have to watch him, he somehow worked out how to get part of it into his mouth and within a few days has chewed his way out of two of them!! Luckily, we got the one with the safety link to the collar so he didn't get away. Now, I watch him carefully!!
He probably was biting the leash because the harness felt weird. You have desensitize him to this new scary thing like any thing else. Sit nicely with it on = snuggle, treat, play (whatever you use)
Use 'drop it' when he tries to grab for the leash. Keep working on it before you buy a Gentle Leader.
Keep a 2nd leash in your pocket, just in case.
He chewed through the Halti!! I have no idea how! He doesn't love the Halti, but lets me put in on. And he does listen when I tell him to drop it!! He has been better lately, the last one we bought has lasted three months so far without being chewed!!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service