DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

We are currently looking at pups, what is the downfall to a medium labradood?

Can anyone with a medium please provide a picture of them fully grown ?

Views: 1136

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We have two standards at 58 and 62 pds and when they were both around 35-40 pds I remember thinking how I wished they would just stay that weight forever. I could pick them up, they cuddled on my lap, fit in the backseat of the car easily and were quicker to groom than a 60 pd doodle.
Having said that, I love that they are tall and goofy, big, fluffy, and have quite scary barks to strangers who come to the door. That I can pet their heads when they walk near me without bending over, that they don't expect to ever be picked up nor do I ever have a reason to. They can jump up on beds, couches and into cars, SUV's and pickup trucks without any assistance. Our biggest one has always slept in bed with us and we hardly notice him there but when they are both in bed it becomes a battle for leg room with DH and dogs and I . But in the end, you will love whatever size they are and never look back at what woulda, coulda, shoulda been. I feel the right dog picks you anyway, so good luck in your search and decision.

Excellent point in that I don't think I've ever seen one turned into rescue because it didn't get big enough!  I have seen that they got too large for a person to handle, but never that they didn't get large enough.

I too love being able to pet Coopers head without having to bend down. She too can jump easily onto the bed, couch, into the car. We dont have the problem with her taking up room on the bed at night though as she prefers to sleep on the floor next to the bed. Plus the bed is take up with 2 of our cats who like to sleep diagonally!

Cubbie is my mini (23lbs) and he is easy to pick up and move but isn't a little dog that gets carried around in a designer bag.  lol  Being smaller he does tend to have a mildly annoying higher pitched bark than Ollie my medium doodle.  Ollie is about 30lbs and is about 2 inches taller than Cubbie.  Ollie will still climb up on your lap or your chest or your head depending on where you are sitting or laying.  Since he is heavier he doesn't get picked up as much, but I can still easily lift him into the bathtub or on to the grooming table.  I think medium doodles are the perfect size....kinda like Goldilocks said "not too big, not too small...just right". 

I love the Goldilocks comparison.

Cosmo is a medium mutigen ALD--maybe a large medium or small standard, according to the accepted descriptions. He weighs 41 pounds and stands about 20 inches tall at the shoulder. Both his parents are also mediums. If you are serious about a particular size, it's important to work with a breeder who has been producing consistent litters for several generations.

I find Cosmo to be the perfect size for us. His primary job responsibility is to sit on the sofa with DH and me in the evenings, and he fits perfectly!

If you're familiar with miniature poodles and similar-size breeds, be aware that mini-doodles tend to be a bit larger and sturdier. And, to me, mediums are a really nice size up from that.

Any-size doodle is wonderful--and there's no downside whatsoever to a medium!

As others have said, it's difficult to see relative size in photos, but this one comes close.  Sedona is a 3-year-old medium multigen labradoodle - close to 40 pounds.  In this picture, the toddler is a smallish 16-month-old (who, by the way, is responsible for the MESS) and the entertainment center is quite large.  In my opinion, Sedona is the perfect size!

I adore my medium and my standard! Their are no downfalls to my medium sized girl Kona. I love both sizes, and love having one of each. The picture below shows Buddy at 24 inches and 60 lbs on the left and Kona at 17inches and 33lbs on the right. She is much easier to cuddle with on the lazyboy, and easier to pick up and groom. Believe it or not Buddy has taken to wanting to cuddle on the lazyboy too,, have to get the DH to grab a picture of that one. Her attitude however is just as big as her brothers :)

After having a 90-pound dog, we appreciate the portability of a smaller dog!  I love big dogs but with 2 kids our car can fit more now when we travel.  Although a medium sized doodle isn't necessarily small depending on how tall and/or thin they are grown. Medium works for us since we wanted a dog to be able to hike and bike with us when he got older.

Not sure if there are any differences in health risks when breeding a medium sized dog.  I didn't find any convincing evidence when I was researching our new puppy so we decided that a medium size was right for us.  That being said, you never can say what size your puppy will be in the end.  We thought our 90-pound dog would be about 50 pounds grown, his litter mates were about half his size and we picked the smallest puppy!  Only luck would have it that Finn is probably going to be in the 35-45 pound range based on his growth to date. 

I have a 25 pound mini (I know you asked about medium, but still) and I love her size.  Next time we would go for a smaller standard/medium just to have one a little bigger.  Or maybe a mini again.  SO I am saying...no downfall to any size if you don't have a certain, exact expectation (because, for instance, Peri's "mini" brothers from her litter are almost 40 pounds - 15 larger!).

Here's a pic of my Peri my husband - to give you size comparison. Husband is 6' tall

Jersey, left and Jasmine, right are both med goldendoodles. They weigh 35-37 pounds. I have always had bigger dogs, but after having a hip and both knees replaced, I thought I would be better off with smaller doods. I love their size! Best dogs ever!

The doodles look great!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service