DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Cooper has been sharing our bed since he was able to climb up and join us (yes, we know now this wasn't the greatest idea) when he was about 6 months.

For the most part my husband and I have really enjoyed having him as a companion because he basically stayed at the foot of the bed. (I should also add that up until a year ago he also had dog beds, and would alternate between the spots, but during his puppy chew phase they were being ripped apart with regular frequency) so we abandoned them.

In the last several weeks, he is taking up increasing space making our ability to sleep soundly a little more challenging, as a result we would like him to find his own sleeping quarters.

We plan to reintroduce a dog bed, but any tips on successfully making this happen?

We would prefer not to crate him again. (We stopped using the crate entirely over a year ago when we were able to leave him with increasing range in the house).

TIA

Views: 81

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Typically mine join me but don't stay long.  When they do, I start rolling around and acting restless.  The tired dogs leave.  They can't take it. Then I throw their pillows to the floor and they seem happier OUT of my bed.

Another trick to make them leave is say, " Let me check your ears"   Works every time. 

Every time they leave, I gave them their pillow and said, down.  Stay.

Most of the time they leave until morning.

Sometimes it seems they felt obligated to stay in the bed with us.  Now that they prefer to join us, then leave to get a good night sleep, I think we are all happier. 

I did not want to make it a forever thing--not being in the bed.  I do enjoy a cuddle.

I call it--  " I love you,  now go away"

It did not take very long to transition.  Dog beds are too big, so I just got them a pillow.  They like the cool floor too, so a pillow works better for us.

Joanne, I love your logic!

Yep, that "Let me check your ears" works every time.  Or the brush.

LOL!  This might be the best method to get rid of a dog that I have ever heard!  Keep a container of ear wash by the bed and just start to reach for it... I don't think you would ever have to actually pick it up!  The dogs would be gone.
perhaps put his pillow next to your side of the bed so you can pet him and so he feels he's close to you without being on top of you...
Personally I love having a snuggle Doodle.  Funny to say but I will move over for her.  At times Shelby snuggle better than the wife!  Love my woman but hey,  I am so in love with my Girl  !!
Funny you should ask this - I'll be watching the answers for myself.  I might be getting a cold shoulder when dh arrives home Friday from NYC where he works during the week.  He never minded that Rooney slept with me, thus us on the weekends even though I had stated "no dogs in the bed".  Rooney is 21.5 lbs of small dog that doesn't take up too much room.  Fast forward to us getting Stuart who is going to be in the 50-60 lb range.  I PROMISED "no MORE dogs in the bed".  Well guess where Stuart has slept for the last 2 nights.  Ut oh!!!!  So at some point Stuart needs to learn that he has to sleep on the floor - at least for now he can't jump up be himself. 
My guys are allowed on our bed until DH comes upstairs (when every possible sporting event is over on TV), then they have to get down and sleep on their own beds.  I've just trained them that when someone says "off" they have to get down.  It was really easy to train this....just let them on the bed a few times during the day for a few minutes and then give them an "off" command.  They won't know what that means at first, so just grab their collars and "help them off".  When they're on the floor....."good dog"....sometimes treat.  It literally took about two days, and they "got it".  They also now stand by the bed and wait until I tell them it's "okay" before getting on.
We do the same.  Peri spends time with me while I read and DH gets ready for bed.  When DH comes, we say "off" and Peri hops down to her bed, which she loves. In the mornings, we allow her to cuddle once the sun comes up...she cannot come up unless we say "come on up!".  We trained with treats-as soon as she put 4 paws on the floor, she got a "good girl" and a treat. We haven't used treats in over 1 year.
Since we share our bed with 3...NOPE no answers! LOL
Lucy will start off on our bed, then move to hers.  Ethel starts right off on the bathroom floor and stays there until the first light of day.  Then they're both on the bed trying to wake us up.  Ethel likes to spoon, or lay across my back (yeah 54 lbs, not a good thing).

Luna gets a little cuddle time on the bed, then when we want to actually sleep we say "bed time" and put her on the floor.  She doesn't like it, but she strolls over to her doggie bed or crate and goes to sleep. 

We just recently got her a doggie bed and introduced it slowly over a few days.  First we showed her it was comfy by lying down on it with her.  Then we made sure it had our scent on it by (yes this is weird but it worked) tucking the doggie bed into our bed for a few hours.  Then she was left to have it only at night when we were there to supervise, so we'd be sure she wouldn't tear it up. 

Does Cooper chew things with your scent on it?  If not, then maybe stuff a shirt you have worn inside the cover of the dog bed.  If it smells like you and not some inanimate object, maybe he will be less likely to destroy it.

Ok, I have the OPPOSITE problem.  Bo is 4.5 months old now and loves to have playtime on my bed but doesn't want to sleep on it!  The past couple of nights I have tried to get him to sleep with me but he wants his crate. (Crazy boy!).  I have this wonderful king-size bed that and it's just me in it and my dog wants the dang crate....God figure!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service