DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi, I'm new to the site. I am in Des Moines, Iowa and am one the list for a male from Mandy and Rusty's latest litter. I lost my great 13.5 year companion Sheltie, Ozy. Walter is our 4 year old male sheltie, not exactly alpha, but will barge in front of another dog.
MY QUESTION: Should I get a male or female doodle? Whichever, it should be accepting and laid back. A high energy dog would not be a good choice.

Thanks,

Bob

Views: 559

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't think gender really determines temperament or dominance. The breeders have some idea of those factories in pups but it still is hard to predict. The vast majority of two or more dogs in one home, here on DK, seem to get along well. Mine certainly do.

I agree that temperament doesn't have much to do with gender or dominance, especially in a young puppy. And most adult dogs will tolerate behaviors in a puppy that they wouldn't tolerate from an adult dog.

However, any sporting breed puppy who is not high energy or is "laid back" is probably sick, lol. There may be some puppies within any litter who are less rambunctious than others, but all young doodle puppies are pretty high energy.

There were lots of zoomies when Luca was a puppy. But I don't think of my dogs as particularly high energy.

Chloe is not a zoomie. She is however a very active, healthy high energy dog. Any doodle pup that is docile would be the exception to the rule.

I chose Annie based on her disposition compared to the other puppies available. She just sort of sauntered around, inquisitive but not particularly crazy, jumpy or yappy. She was perfectly healthy, and was just very mellow (COMPARITAVELY to the other puppies).
I would say that for a puppy, Annie is pretty laid back and not particularly high energy either. She CAN be high energy if we're out for a hike - and she has her moments of crazed insanity, zoomies and jump fests - they are pretty few and far between, and usually occur on rainy days when she doesnt get her walk...

Hi Robert. I have a 22 week old doodle. If you do not want a high energy dog, do not get a doodle. We love our Chloe and her high energy-but know they are FULL of energy and require daily exercise and attention. Chloe had surgery 2 days ago - we have her on Benadryl to calm her down because she is busting open her stitches from the spay

Any breeder who says doodles are not high energy are not telling you the truth.  Labradors, Poodles, Golden Retrievers are all high energy when they are young and some for their whole lives.  Mine need lots of walking and free running.  Day care is a blessing lol

Hi Bob! I have a 12 week F1 female from Whispering Pines (Rusty father also), and I am also a dentist! The only reason we decided on a female was because I didn't want any issues with 'marking' from a male. However, I also heard that female's urine can sometimes turn your grass yellow (don't know if this is true or not). I really don't think you can go wrong either way- sounds like either male or female will probably end up submitting to Walter regardless. I checked out your litter and it looks like you will have your pick of lots of great looking males! My pup has been pretty chill except for about a half hour a day of 'puppy madness'. The rest of the time she is still sleeping and snuggling a lot! 

I think temperament will be more important than male or female.  If you need a "laid back" dog right NOW, I might consider an adult dog, at least a year old.  I got my Maggie when she was a year old, and it turned out to be an excellent choice. However, if you have your heart set on a puppy, obviously they will drive you crazy for a while!  However, once you get past that puppy stage(s), hopefully you will have a dog with a good temperament!  Good luck!

Not high energy does NOT mean lethargic or unhealthy.  Neither of my doods is high energy. Ned was laid back even as a puppy - got the zoomies daily, nipped, but was not high energy and he was healthy.  We didn't get Clancy until he was two but he is a very, very calm dog. He is also healthy.  BTW, I do know high energy, I have an English Springer Spaniel.  Sex of the dog is less important than temperament. Neither Ned nor our Springer mark.  Clancy marks outside only.

once fixed the sex does not matter. but a doodle will be high energy til they are at least 2 years old

Not necessarily. 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service