DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I think Ollie is kind of low energy for a puppy! I read others posts about having to tire their doodle out and Ollie rarely needs that. He is only 13 weeks so maybe its because he is still so young? We got the all clear from the vet to talk him out this weekend and we went to lunch and then the park and by the end - Ollie was so exhausted we took turns carrying him?!! Is this normal for a 3 month old? Maybe we are expecting too much?

Also - when he sleeps - he breathes so rapidly - is that a puppy thing too?

Views: 122

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Seems normal to me. He is still a baby. I don't know about the rapid breathing except that my 5 year old Springer does it too.
probably for young puppies their breathing is faster cuz they have smaller lungs, and faster heartrate....just like young children and babies, just take it easy with him your lucky you dont have a super hyperactive dog i hope my puppy is mellow too, and it maybe just his personality. if you do have concerns about him being overly lethargic i would ask your vet....
Willy was the runt of the litter and very laid back he still is I am perfectly fine with that , expect the other day I wanted to walk and he did't so he just rolled over for a belly rub, he was telling me not now for the walk but we did end up going Wilson is 13 1/2 months old When he was a pup he was breathing a little rapidly but nothing too drastic
Our Penny was just like Ollie and yes, I think you got a mellow pup. Penny still loves to play with her toys and wrestle and every once in awhile will have the case of the "zoomies" (especially after a good poo!). But 90% of the time she just loves to "hang." Just mellow, mellow, mellow. Even when we had our doodle romp and the others were tearin' it up, Penny preferred to stay close to the people and just watch.

She, too, had rapid puppy breathing. Even now at 4, she still does it when sleeping now and again. I think you have nothing to worry about.
Giada has always breathed rapidly while she sleeps. It concerned me a bit to, biut she's very healthy.
Our puppy is also very mellow. I talked to the vet about the rapid breathing while sleeping, and she said it was perfectly normal and not to worry. I actually love the fact that Guinness is pretty low key. It makes training so much easier.
Hannah is very mellow and was very laid back as a pup also, exercise is good for dogs of all ages, I just watch how much we do and when I see my dogs wearing out, we break or come home and rest, and I also watch on how much we do depending on the weather with the heat and humidity. Also try and carry water at all times for them...just in case. As for breathing...I think Hannah as a younger pup would breath more rapidly, but that seemed to change as she matured.
My puppy Finn has rapid breathing and I asked the vet about it. She said it is normal. Yankee was a mellow pup too and it made training and life in general much easier. Be thankful. Finn is not so mellow, not even a little mellow.
Hi! Compared to Ollie, Chervil is probably medium-energy . . . so I think you're lucky! But when she was about Ollie's age, I was surprised how easily she would sometimes tire on a walk. I think they're just babies--and the world is a big, exciting place. I wouldn't worry about it. And Chervil also has occasions of very rapid, noisy breathing. I asked my vet about it and he just said she was having wonderful dreams and not to worry. It seems to be something she's growing out of.
our Neely is also not an overly active puppy. He is 6 months now. I was kinda shocked when we got him. I was expecting alot more work. We have had other dogs before and raised them on a farm and they were primarily out door dogs and were very active playing outside all day. Neely has our 15 yr old dog here and I wonder if he is learning how to be a dog from her. She sleeps alot especially during the day. Neely does too. Come 9 o,clock its pretty much bed time. He gets acting a little stupid and misbehaving right before bed time. Like a baby that is over tired. Now mind you Neely can keep up with what ever you throw at him activity wise. But doesn't need it all the time. Compared to my sisters two year old Neely is in slow mo.

Our Neely used to breathe like that in his sleep too, Not so much now unless he is really been overly active. You would think he was getting ready to blow! I asked the vet too. The vet said that that is when their brains are growing and that is how their bodies help facilitate that. I thought he looked like he was going have a heart attack not get smarter!!
Just enjoy this time! At about 7 or 8 months Ollie will be plenty energetic. Remember though just like with people, some dogs are just more about laying around and others are always on the go!
Rapid Breathing here too. I also have seen a lot of posts about rapid breathing also on DK. Some have video taped and taken the clip to the vet. I still have yet to see anyone post that there dog became ill. It is most frightening but possibly the norm.
The only problem with the sleeping and rapid breathing is at 3am he wakes up with excessive thirst and needs out of the crate for a drink.

Mellow pup here too. He even responds and learns better when we are mellow. But.................................. we are at 7.5 months and the energy is boundless. We walk 2-3 times a day, play frisbee 10 times a day, and whatever else we can think of to wear him out. Still, he is polite and a bit laid back. I think we are blessed. I agree he is not like any puppy I have ever had. Enjoy.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service