DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Greetings Doodle Owners

I am starting my search for a mini golden doodle and have been so overwhelmed with all the information out there!

I am hoping to see some photos of full size Mini goldendoodles and their weight. We are really looking to stay under the 25 pound marker.. 20 would be ideal. Have you had any issues with shedding or allergies? That is important to us also

Also - we are in the NY area and would love to hear your experiences from your breeders -

Thanks!

Lauren

Views: 44855

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wish more people could realize that. It surprises me how many people have never spent any time around poodles who are pets, especially the standards, and picture them the way they look in movies and dog shows.
I even used to have people ask me what my dog was, and when I told them she was a miniature poodle, they'd say, Oh, I didn't know there were black poodles! I thought they were always white!

Ha, only white poodles, that is funny! All of ours happened to be white, all 3 were adorable and friggen smart, OMD they were smarter than my brother LOL.

Many already have said that there's no guarantee with mixed breed, but if I add my 2 cents, I learned that there's no knowing how my allergy would be until I have the dog/cat living with me. Also, non-shedding doesn't mean hypo-allergenic. Willow doesn't shed at all (she's an F1), but I am allergic to her. I've never tested positive for dog allergy either. On the other hand, I was tested positive for cat allergy, but my symptoms vary from none for some cats to extremely violent for some others.

Then there's seasonal allergy caused by things that Willow brings in with her from the walks. I also get more exposure to allergens by taking her out for walks. 

I hope your search will be successful - doodles are wonderful!! But also be prepared for the unknowns. I take twice as many allergy pills, added air purifiers, and Willow is 20+lb. heavier than expected. But I am the happiest doodle mom! I hope you would be one too! 

Also, we can not share experiences with breeders on the main forum--there are other groups and sections though such as "what to look for in a breeder" and  "owner recommended breeder". Do some exploring of the website and you will get more info. 

I live in upstate NY and could make some suggestions, but you will have to "friend me" to get a private message--I will make the request now.

Keep in mind, that no matter how good the breeder is, you really don't know about allergy issues (even if the dog is unlikely to shed) until you have lived with the dog. It has been proven that there is no such thing as a hypoallergenic breed--you just have to try it and see. 

And a good breeder will not say that they are hypoallerginic - Peri's breeder told me there was a big chance she would shed. 

A good breeder also won't say that they "have the temperament of a Golden Retriever witht he non-shedding characteristics of the poodle", lol. Genetics don't work that way, or everyone would look exactly the same and be exactly the same size as all of their siblings.

Or to put it another way, it would be like promising that Charlotte will have your temperament and Conor's hair, lol.

I have a mini goldendoodle who weighs 25 pounds.  Her mom is a mini poodle and her dad is a mini golden doodle.  That makes her 75% poodle and 25% golden and she does not shed.  She is the biggest one from her litter...the others are around 15 pounds.  I find it so interesting that there can be such differences even from the same litter.  As Forrest Gump says..."You never know what you're gonna get."  I have never met a doodle that I didn't love!  This photo will show her size.

Be sure to read What to look for in a Breeder if you haevn't already: http://www.doodlekisses.com/notes/What_To_Look_for_In_a_Breeder

It also contains links to the Owner Recommended Breeders Groups and others

Just want to throw my 2 cents in here.......I have 2 dogs bred from the same parents, but different litter....Seamus is 3 years old, 90 pounds, and LIGHTLY sheds when his hair is long.  Stella is almost 2 years old, weighs about 50 pounds, and does not shed because her coat is much more "poodly" with a tight curl.  Again, they were bred from the same parent dogs.  Just please be aware that with any "mixed breed" there are ABSOLUTELY NO guarantees with size or coat...which could result in a large dog that sheds that ultimately impacts your ability to care for and even keep the dog.  We have no allergies, but if allergies are truly an issue for you or your family, please be careful.  Good luck to you.  =) 

Well stated, LM.

Excellent advice.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service