DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Moving from PA to Phoenix -- Need desert living tips/advice for our snow-loving doodle!

My husband and I (and Bonne Bouche) were born and raised in Pennsylvania. Right now, we are renting a beautiful cottage-like home on 6 acres of wooded property. While I never loved the winters here, my husband and beloved Bonne Bouche ADORE the cold and snowy winters. However, I have finally obtained the job I've been preparing for my entire career, and we will be relocating to Phoenix, Arizona this summer. Of the thousands of things I could/should be worried about, the only ones that are really making me nervous are ones that center around BB. So while I've been on a DK hiatus, I really need tips and advice (and moral support) about moving to the desert with my doodle. 

First, like so many people moving to the southwest, I'm terribly afraid of BB being bitten by a rattlesnake. I have already worked with my vet who will be vaccinating BB at our annual appointment next week for rattlesnake (anti?)venom. We also will be doing a rattlesnake aversion class (referrals welcome!). BB is such a curious and playful dog, I do worry he'll try to "play" with a rattlesnake... We are very outdoorsy people, so we'll be doing lots of hikes, and with these two precautions, I feel mostly at ease with this. Scorpions on the other hand... I worry about BB getting stung. Also, I am terribly frightened about the Lepto breakout and Valley Fever, which are not presently issues where we are now. Though, in reality, we pull ticks off BB nearly daily and he has had Lymes (without issue), so I wonder if this is just me being worried about the unfamiliar. What realistic precautions do we need to take (bringing our own water, wiping paws after going out, etc)?

Second, most of the yards in the houses we're looking at have gravel instead of grass. Can you still play fetch/frisbee with a gravel yard? Does it bother their paws? Does it get too hot? If we get a place with a pool, can we convert it to a salt-water pool so he can swim in it (he LOOOOVES swimming!)? 

The AZ doodles page isn't the most active group here, but I'm going to join it and follow along in the next few months. Please friend or PM me if your a local DKer in the NW Phoneix area! 

In short, I welcome any tips for desert living with a doodle. Thanks in advance!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1D6gXfswOMyjoNkpUo1CL4-gKGiZfqWDYpw

Views: 320

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I hope you're at least thrilled about your new job, lol! Congratulations!

I would think lepto would be less prevalent in a dry climate like AZ than in PA. 

And I totally understand the snake thing; I can barely even type the word, lol. 

Also, if Bonne Bouche has any tendency toward seasonal allergies, being in AZ may improve that. :)

Oh thank you! Yes, I am thrilled about my new job!

As an aside, once we're out there and settled I'd love to help DRC. Since we rent now, the property managers are kind of weird about that. But once we're in our own place, we'd love to foster! Please keep us in mind!

LOL, I was going to say we can use fosters in AZ! 

Jackdoodle originally came from AZ, so it must be a wonderful place, lol. 

:-)

I added you as a friend, because I have lived in PHX my entire life.

Jake and I would love to meet up when ur settled and feel free to ask me any questions.

As far as snakes I haven't seen any near us, we live in town tho.

Thank you, Lindsey! I would love to meet you and Jake! I appreciate the reassurance on the snakes, too. ;-]

I used to live in tucson many years ago (my Dad was in the Air Force). One thing I remember is that you can still get to the snow. Its not that far away. We used to camping on Mt Lemon. I don't know a lot about what might be closer to Phoenix but Im sure you can find some snow somewhere. I never saw a snake where we lived but I was on the Air Force base.

Thank you! It looks like we'll be less than 2 hours from parts of Prescott which gets some snow. So there is still some opportunity when desired, which is quite reassuring. ;-] And I like that you can "plan the snow," (i.e., go to the snow when you want) rather than having it foil your plans on a weekend with alternative plans!

Hi! Congratulations on your new job! 

I do not live in Arizona, but I am from El Paso which is also a desert-y area. I have seen rattlesnakes, scorpions, and all sorts of things. Although I do not have my doodle yet (in 2 months I will!), I have 3 other dogs and a cat that love being outdoors and love to run around. The summers get very hot so I would suggest always having at least a little pool filled up to cool off.  I always hose off my dogs a few times a day during the summer after they play. As well, keep the coat short so the dog doesn't overheat. My golden retriever has been stung by a scorpion and her face was very swollen, but everything was fine the next day. She was still her sweet self and it didn't really seem to bother her, although my family and I were scared to death lol. For some reason, my dogs prefer to sit on the rock/gravelly area we have during the summers, but it is covered and in the shade while the grass is in the sun. Their paws seem to be fine while they play on the gravel but just get a little dry sometimes. My golden retriever is 12 now and loves hiking and going on long walks through the desert and up in the mountains. She also likes to run off alone which scares me all the time because I do not want her getting bit or stung by something, but she is always fine. I do not know if anything I said was helpful but I just wanted to reassure you that BB will be fine and happy in Arizona!

Stephanie, Your post is wonderfully reassuring! Thank you! I'm happy to hear the scorpion sting only resulted in minor swelling. Your comment on the gravel is also helpful, since narrowing down our search to a fully grassy yard is quite restricting. We have to see what all is out there when we go, but this at least helps us make a better informed decision! Thanks again!

We do not live in Phoenix permantly, but we have stayed here since December. I think rattlesnakes are a concern. You just have to be diligent and keep an eye out for them when hiking. I always try and keep my dogs in the middle of the trail and continually scan the area in front of us. People around us have seen the rattlers off and on for the last couple of weeks. They don't come out till it's good and warm out. We aren't staying in the valley (Phoenix), we are east of there by 50 miles and are probably in a more appealing area to the snakes. They say to keep the rodent population down around you since that's what they like to eat :-)
My dogs don't mind the gravel. I think their pads are pretty tough now. Yogi can choose to lay on an outdoor carpet or the gravel, he chooses the gravel.
I think you will like living out here. We have loved it. So much to do, and such a beautiful state.

Thank you. I suppose that makes sense getting used to the gravel. BB does get pretty used to the salt/snow in the winter...

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service