DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Ok I've decided to start this thread because there are a lot of issues we will need to address with help Jake adjust to a new life. I'm just going to post here with questions. I've got obedience stuff down I can handle that. But there is alot of other stuff. I'll just post here any maybe one of you wise doodle lovers can help. I can try to post in food, and grooming but so any things are interrelated so I'm going to use this thread as a catch all and if mods want me to separate I can. :)

Issue first and foremost, the diet. We feed one of the foods recommended on here. Jakes current diet (what the owners been feeding him) is dry purina puppy food, and equal parts peas, corn, rice, cooked ground beef and water all mixed together. Okayyyyyyyyy. Iknow how to move a dog from 1 food to another slowly but how in the world do i handle this? Poor Jake has terrible runs! I'm taking him to the vet early this week to check for uti, stool, blood work etc. but how do I begin the transition to my food with all these other ingredients?

Thanks,I'll tackle other issues as we go along. I fear grooming wise he will need a shave. His belly, ears, and legs are horribly matted.

Thanks everyone.

Views: 3302

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ditto - Please...

You guys I'm really scared that jake might have diabetes or some kind of kidney issue. He just won't stop drinking. He seeks water everywhere. Obsessed. He has bad breath, scarfs his food down. I'm afraid we got suckered into taking a very unhealthy dog. I'm going to take him to the vet tomorrow. I'm going to need to ask for a payment plan. Our daughter just got done with leukemia treatment (chemo is 2 1/2 years) and it wiped out just about everything.
Our son has cerebral palsy and epilepsy. It's managed with medicines. I hope jake doesn't have any of these massive medical issues. It would devastate me emotionally. I cannot have a medically fragile dog that requires extensive care. I want to help him. I'm just scared right now,
Of course you are scared, Jenn. Try to rest tonight. I am hoping that people on DK with knowledge about these things will respond in the morning. Everything is more overwhelming at night. Is it possible to get health insurance for him before you go to the vet? Do you know if he has vet records from his previous owner? I don't know how pre-existing conditions work when ownership changes. Praying you can sleep and face the morning with some good advice. Hugs.

I can understand your concern especially with what your family has been going through.  

We've had a number of foster dogs and they all are stressed in a new environment - even the ones that seem happy.  Stressed dogs pace, pant, drool, guard resources, etc.  Some are on the best behavior until they feel comfortable.

Get Jake a good check up and try to take in one step at a time.  We're all here for you.

Sorry about the last post. My husband told me its going to be ok. We will take it step by step. Hopefully tomorrow we will get some good medical answers and Jake will have a new haircut. If it turns out that is a cronic medical problem (pray its not), we will do everything we can for him and maybe we can get hooked up with the right rescue groups to find him an appropriate loving home. If its behavioral, I can work that. But please do not think less of me if I need to rehome if its a life time medical issue. I spent the last 2 years helping my 8 year old daughter beat cancer where dealing with massive medical issues daily was a way of life. Having a dog that requires a lifetime of daily medical care is just about my breaking point. Ok, one step at a time. Sleep now. Thanks for letting me ramble. Lets all pray its not a serious condition.
Good night.
No one will misjudge you. You saved this doodle for however long you have him. We are grateful for your courage to rescue Jake from his other life.

There will be many changes in him over the next few weeks - between his new pack, new food, and entirely new living situation.  Time = start taking notes.

It could be as simple as he is accustomed to having to grab all the water whenever he can - it may only need time for him to figure it out.   I've seen it, imagine being hungry or thirsty and no water - makes for irrational behavior (remember Pavlov? if you only got water once or twice a day, stocking up makes sense and he learned)

A total check up is in order, but notes and observation are invaluable.  

Everything is going to shift from all the newness, improvement that is physical and emotional.  Deep breath, smile, and keep on - he is already so much better off.  Grooming will start the feel better, a check up will make you feel better and all around every day will be baby steps.   His alertness will shift, his coat will change, and at this age he may kick in with some serious zoomies - with your anxieties this can add up - normal and yet a handful. 

I agree on the food - but will add that with the stress this dog is under, that can cause intestinal upset - diarrhea is no good at any time.  Simple for now should be good, the Purina is notorious for loose stool and frankly most overfeed it which makes it worse. 

Allow yourself time for one on one with each dog - allow yourself time for yourself!   Guarantee this dog is not expecting much and the reason he is in your care is a blessing,  being human is what is needed of you. Blessings to you.

My friend has a six year old rescue dog that she has had for 6 months.  He gobbles water like crazy.  So much so that he throws it back up.  His health is fine.  It seems like some type of hording behavior.  If your guy truly does have medical problems there is an agency called The Doodle Messenger that can help.  Some one here can provide you with the link if need be.  Just take it easy for now.

OK guys I tried to write up detailed notes for my vet.  can you see if I've missed anything? Thank you.

Notes on Jake

Name: Jake (Jacob)

Breed: Labradoodle

Birthday: February 15, 2013

Born from a breeder in New Mexico

Medical Issues of Parents: Unknown

Previous Owner: ____________________________

Previous Veterinarian: St. Francis Animal Clinic

Background History: Jake was obtained by his previous owner at 6 weeks of age. Owner and girlfriend bought him and when Jake turned 2 months the girlfriend left. The owner has a job that requires him to be on the road frequently during the week. Jake was left in his crate multiple times a week for up to 20 hours at a time starting at 2 ½ months of age.  Owner restricted water so that jake would not urinate in his crate. Jake is moderately dog and people submissive. He knows sit, down and he walks well on a leash. He is not aggressive to strangers or new situations.  On Saturday we offered to host a playdate for Brisby and Jake and after that the owner brought over all of Jake’s belongings, gave Jake to us and left him in our care.

Diet and Food

Diet: Was being fed the following 2x daily: a mixture of 1 cup purina puppy food, rice, carrots, peas, corn, half cooked hamburger with fat left in. All mixed together with warm water.

Current diet: 1 cup rice, 1 cup plain cooked chicken breast cubed, 2 tbls pumpkin (2 x daily)

Behaviors on feeding: Cannot slow down, eats rapidly and will look for more. Will try to eat from brisby’s dish if  brisby is still eating. Does not beg for human food. Will eat grass when allowed to roam in yard.

Water: Jake cannot stop drinking water. He will drink until he vomits. He will search out any and all receptacles that contain water and drink if he can. This includes toilets, items in the backyard that contain rainwater or sprinkler water. According to his previous owner Jake’s  veterinarian at St. Francis or UVA did blood work and diagnosed Jake with psychogenic water consumption.

Elimination

Jake currently has diarrhea. Owner said he has had several bouts with diarrhea since hes had him. Jake  typically has 2 bowel movements a day, both are diarrhea.  After he has these extremely loose stools he tries to lick himself clean.

Jake urinates frequently when given the chance to go outside and relieve himself. He knows the command  “go potty” and will urinate. We have had 3 incidents yesterday where Jake urinated in our house.  In all three cases, He just stood up where he was and went right there. After those incidents I put him on a schedule. I set water down for him to drink (I had to take it away after a bit or he would inhale so much he would vomit), let him and Brisby play 30-45 minutes, then take them outside to “potty”. After that there were no more accidents in the house but we have to stay on top of this every 30-45 minutes.

Jake’s urine is completely clear and when he goes it seems like a large quantity each time.

Sleep

Jake sleeps well and in his crate. He seems to like sleeping in his crate next to Brisby.

Energy Level

Jake has a high prey drive. He likes to play and has a lot of energy. Like Brisby he will play and then hang out and rest. Their energy levels are comparable.

Coat

Jake’s coat is matted severely. It looks like he has dandruff. He itches frequently. No signs of fleas or ticks. He’s been on heartworm and frontline medicine all summer.

Temperament

Jake will let you take away his food and water without aggression. He is eager to please people. He enjoys playing with other dogs and will follow their lead.  He will allow you to look in his mouth, groom him and mess with his paws, tail.  He is a sweet boy who’s only true dominance is shown when he is eating a treat (he tries to keep his and take Briby’s too). Brisby just gets it back from him without a struggle from Jake.

OMD, this poor puppy. On top of everything else, they took him away from his mother and litter at 6 weeks old? 

I am so grateful that you got hi out of there! 

Sounds like a good picture of who Jake is and what his problems are.  Good luck at the vet!

Now if we could only shut down the breeder who lets puppy go at 6 weeks of age! 

Please try to take things one step at a time. We all understand the pressures on you and your first priority has to be your children. So let's hope the workup is good and everything settles down.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service