DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Ok I've decided to start this thread because there are a lot of issues we will need to address with help Jake adjust to a new life. I'm just going to post here with questions. I've got obedience stuff down I can handle that. But there is alot of other stuff. I'll just post here any maybe one of you wise doodle lovers can help. I can try to post in food, and grooming but so any things are interrelated so I'm going to use this thread as a catch all and if mods want me to separate I can. :)

Issue first and foremost, the diet. We feed one of the foods recommended on here. Jakes current diet (what the owners been feeding him) is dry purina puppy food, and equal parts peas, corn, rice, cooked ground beef and water all mixed together. Okayyyyyyyyy. Iknow how to move a dog from 1 food to another slowly but how in the world do i handle this? Poor Jake has terrible runs! I'm taking him to the vet early this week to check for uti, stool, blood work etc. but how do I begin the transition to my food with all these other ingredients?

Thanks,I'll tackle other issues as we go along. I fear grooming wise he will need a shave. His belly, ears, and legs are horribly matted.

Thanks everyone.

Views: 3302

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jenn had mentioned that he was licking. :(

And he is "chewing" at the area. Also he yipes if you pet him there. We will see whats up in an hour. Thanks friends.

We'll be waiting!

Vet update:
Much better than I expected. Our vet who I adore works all they way across town but today, once again I know why we make the trek. She spend over 2 hours with us examined everything on Jake, took blood for various tests, ran a second fecal, and checked out the foxtail type lumps. She found 2 burrs beginning to imbed and was able to lance them out. They were not foxtails but more like a sand spur or lawn spur. She then found two more lumps and biopsied them and examined the cells. She said they mainly looked to be fatty lumps caused by some kind of continual bumping or rubbing irritant she thought might have come from extended living in a crate. She wasn't too concerned after the biopsy results and told me 3-6 months of new healthy balanced diet and better care should reduce the lumps but to come back in a month for recheck. She did say his lymph nodes (though not enlarged) we prominate (she had me feel them) but her thought on this was the fact that Jake is bordering on being underweight makes the lymphs more pronounced. Again she said keep working on love, care,well balanced diet and to add some vitamine E and fish oil to his food. (Thoughts?).
The amazing thing was after all that time, the lengthy exam and bloodwork and biopsies she thinks jake is a pretty healthy 8 month year old. And she only charge me for 1 fecal! So the entire exam, tests, etc. came to $41.00!
I couldn't believe it. She told me her first dog was a mistreated rehome when she was in vet school and could barely pay bills but She ended up bonding with and keeping the dog when her second rehome fell through but never forgot about the fear of taking on a rehome and wondering about the financial implications. Therefore, soft spot for Jake and compassion toward our situation all though we were committed to finding a way if medical interventions were necessary.
I called my husband after the vet visit and he was so relieved that jske was ok and told me how much he likes Jake. I think Jake has found his forever home, with us.
Thank you for all your help here. I look forward to keeping you all up to date on Jake's Journey. Welcome home sweet boy.

Wonderful news!

I'm so glad that he doesn't have foxtails and won't need surgery! And that he's generally healthy. It really does sound like you have a great vet.

The "fatty lumps" are lipomas, many of our dogs have them and they are rarely a health problem. Occasionally, very large lipomas may need to be removed, but otherwise, they have no effect on the dog's health. 

Fish oil provides the Omega 3 fatty acids DHA & EPA, which are beneficial for skin, coat, and general health. Lots of people here give fish oil or fish oil capsules. Get human supplements, they're usually better quality and cheaper. 

I'd be careful with vitamin E supplements. Vitamin E is fat soluble and excess amounts are stored in the body. Too much vitamin E can interfere with vitamin A & K absorption and utilization. Most premium dog foods contain enough vitamin E for most dogs. 

Best of all is that Jake is going to be staying with you. I can't think of a better family for him! 

Thanks Karen. Good to know. :) you've been so valuable throughout this process. Thank you.
Tearing up reading this wonderful story! So thankful for you and your DH and this wonderful vet! Hooray Jake!

WOOT!  yay for Jake!  And congratulations on your new baby!!!  You are the best!  

Great news about Jake. I have to say, and I did train in Pathology, that I never heard of lipomas being caused by irritation but I suppose it is possible. Glad the burrs were readily removed. Unbelievable vet. $41. My vet charges me that for a run in the back for a shot! Glad you are keeping Jake. Karen has given you good advice about vitamins and fish oil.

Thanks F. I know a lot about training but nothing about canine nutrition or physiology. Thanks for being there for us. I love to learn. :)
You are very welcome.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service