DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Hi everyone,

We recently got Wally a week and a half ago from a breeder and couldn't ask for more. He has great temperament and a quick learner. He will be 10 weeks this Thursday. The only issue we have is that he's currently being treated for coccidia. He has been on Albon (pills) since September 15th by the breeder, but was switched to the liquid form on September 20th by my vet. 

We initially transitioned him to Orijen Large Breed Puppy, but stopped 4 days later and gave him a bland-diet (boiled Chicken and Rice). His stool got somewhat firm for a day but went back to pudding-like and these past 2 days, it's mucous-like. He's still active, eat all his food, and being a puppy. I was wondering if anyone have this symptom and any recommended cure for this? His next vet visit is Monday where he will be getting his second sets of shots and I'm awaiting for a call from the Vet on the stool.

Views: 354

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We continued with the rice and chicken diet for over a week before we saw hard stools again. Try to keep up that diet until the vet again. Our pup will be 12 weeks Oct 1. She finally is gaining weight at an amazing speed now that she feels better.

I would post this in the Food Group. Lots of great advice and knowledgeable people (I am not one of those people lol!) you might even search past discussions in that group to see if anyone else has posted similar situations.

Wally you are a little cutie.

I had a similar problem.  If Albon is an antibiotic it could have killed all the good bacteria in his system along with the bad.  You might want to put him on a probiotic.. I have used fortiflora. I'd used rice with his regular dog food and added organic canned pumpkin. 

I just went out to buy him more chicken and also got a greek yogurt. Will be giving him a spoonful with every meal tomorrow. Still waiting for the vet to return my message about next steps. Could pick up some probiotic at the vet.  We tried pumpkin also but it didn't work too well. Probably due to the good bacteria not available?

Probiotics as a pill or powder are better than yogurt.  Most of the biotics in yogurt never make it past the stomach. Also dairy may not be the best option until his tummy returns to normal.

He's doing better now with the Probiotics. Fecal test came back negative and his coccidia issue is controlled. We just started adding 1/4 cup of Orijen Puppy today. 

Wally is a cutie and I hope he is coccidia free soon.  You might check out the Food Group regarding probiotics etc since he is on antibiotics. Welcome to DK.  Looking forward to seeing cute little Wally photos.

Congrats on your new puppy Wally! :) He looks a little bit like my Cooper when he was younger.

Add some pure pumpkin to his meal.  You can buy it at the supermarket.  Make sure it is pure pumpkin and not pumpkin pie mix.  It will help firm up his stool.  Also add a probiotic.  You can break the capsule apart and sprinkle it on his food.

Wally (for real!)

Eugene, OR

He's doing better after we took out the rice and gave him bake sweet potatoes and Greek yogurt. This morning was one of the best stool I have seen since bringing him home, after a day of switching. 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service