DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I don't normally buy my dogs chew 'treats' -- they have all been more than happy gnawing away at their sterilized real bones and the tough Nylabones.  So I don't really want to fix what's not broken. I am of the 'buy them a bunch of things that last nearly forever and forget about it' mindset.

I also don't like giving them any other animal 'parts' to munch on besides the sterilized bones. Rosco, for instance, makes such a nice wet spot under wherever he is chewing even a bone that the thought of him making bully stick saliva juices on my rugs ... blech!  

But so many of you swear by antlers so I want you to tell me about them. 

1. Do they have ANY odor?
  2. Are they 'clean' enough so my daughter can pick one up and if she puts it in her mouth (because she might) I don't have to worry? (I realize that anything that the dogs have been chewing on and has gone in and out of the house has potential to be germy...but I'm just wondering about antlers specifically).
  3. Do they get slimy at all like bully sticks?
  4. Is there residue left on the dog's paws after chewing or on the rug?
  5. Does it shed little shavings?
  6. Do they last a considerable time or are they something I have to buy every few weeks?
  7. Have ANY of your dogs gotten diarrhea or upset tummies from them?

Thanks so much!

Views: 1885

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

1. Do they have ANY odor? None that I can smell but Daisy may disagree
  2. Are they 'clean' enough so my daughter can pick one up and if she puts it in her mouth (because she might) I don't have to worry? (I realize that anything that the dogs have been chewing on and has gone in and out of the house has potential to be germy...but I'm just wondering about antlers specifically). Really I wouldn't say they are clean enough for a baby but what really is?
  3. Do they get slimy at all like bully sticks? NO SLIME on MINE!
  4. Is there residue left on the dog's paws after chewing or on the rug? No goo here
  5. Does it shed little shavings? Once in a while Daisy will have a small piece break off but no shavings
  6. Do they last a considerable time or are they something I have to buy every few weeks? Daisy still has hers from her birthday Oct 27th and she chews it about once a day and it is mostly still in tact.
  7. Have ANY of your dogs gotten diarrhea or upset tummies from them? Nope

Daisy will carry her antler to DH or myself so we can hold it while she chews...we once got her a bully stick and she tried that with me - disgusting, never bought another. Oh and yes I realize she is a spoiled little princess. ha ha

I agree with you, Adina, about Bully Sticks. I love the antlers for my dogs and they love them also. They have no odor and are clean. They do chew up much faster than a bone but mine are smooth or become that way quickly. I leave bones laying around all of the time, but not the antlers because they are more expensive and do not last that long.  Clancy and Ned are pretty strong chewers - especially Clancy.

Pretty expensive and do not last long...this part worries me.  They really need their chew stuff readily available so that there is no inappropriate chewing (well at least for Boca) and they are occupied doing something.  Otherwise Boca tends to pace and ring the bell to go out every 5 minutes.

I think Calla in particular is a really strong chewer and the antlers last a very long time. I don't get the ones sawn in half exposing the most marrow.

If you get the WHOLE ones, not the ones that are cut in half lengthwise, they last months. Peri is a HUGE chewer and we still have some from a few months ago.

Nancy, they must be really strong chewers then! I though Marley was the strongest in the whole world and his antler lasted about 9 months. That is so surprising.  I imagine they still have to be cheaper and last longer than bully sticks, No?

We especially use antlers in the RV and they only last about a week or two if they are down most of the time.  They love them and one of the three is always chewing.  I buy the large size I think; NOT with marrow exposed. My next order will be for the biggest one I can get to see if they last longer. My advice is to buy two and see what happens.

I got a couple of Antlerz, as I didn't find any antlers locally and had heard about them here on DK.  They were pricey, but as others have said, I haven't seen any problems.  Trav loves the antler, which I give to him ONLY when I'm grooming him.  He pretty much lets me do whatever I want, as long as he has the antler, and believe me, that's a HUGE change!  He does stop chewing if I mess around with his ears, or pull a little too energetically, but he used to either hide or just roll and try to hold my hand in his mouth.  This is now one of my essential grooming aids.  :)

He isn't very interested in the nylon Nylabones.

I just lost my connection so if you see this twice, sorry.  We tried the deer antlers for our Doodles.  We bought them at a Pet Expo in November.  The are odorless, (no mess on floors), fat free.  The ones we tried are naturally shed and come from the wild.  Olivia is a real chewer and had a great time with one (medium size deer antler).  We didin't notice any chipping.  We were told they last about four months, which is great since they are a bit pricey.  If you want to check out the web site:  it's www.chasingourtails.com

Hi, mine are both bought and found on ground. The first set was found by my Rottie Freya in Oregon in an empty lot behind the house. We still have them both. No smell, and they truly last forever. The first set came into the house 5 years ago. So that we don’t lose them I have bought some in California at the local pet store, so I have them at both houses. Bella had never had one before she entered the pack in August, didn't take her long to learn to love them. Mine don't chew on them all the time; they treat them more like toys, then a normal bone. I love them, there is no mess. Hunting dogs have been chewing on them for years.

I have been reading about how everyone loves antlers for their dogs and have been searching for them locally before I purchased them online. I found some at a pet store in Greenfield,IN today and was so excited. Clover did like them and I love that they are not messy!!!

I just bought 2 antlers, 1 for my dachshund and 1 for my doodle. The doodle, Sunny, seems to only want to toss it around in the air, but the dachshund, Reba, really really likes it. I don't think Sunny is very food-motivated or treat-motivated, though. She likes toys much better, and that's what she's treating the antler as!!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service