DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

As we await the birth of our future doodle (should be any day now) we are trying to get as much info as possible to get ready for our new addition.  I have heard mixed things about pet insurance.  I was just wondering what your experiences were with pet insurance.  Did you find it to be worth the cost?

Views: 629

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Trupanion has been absolutely amazing; they pay the bill on the same day they receive the invoice.  I highly recommend Trupanion.  They never question the amount and have no cap on an illness or during the lifetime of the policy.  I am so very lucky.

I can't see a single argument for not getting Pet Insurance except if you are super rich and a bill of $$$$ is no issue. My insurance company has paid out thousands for my Boris and my premiums have pretty much remained the same.

Tara, here was a good discussion a few years ago. This information would be the same other than prices of policies. Take a look. http://www.doodlekisses.com/forum/topics/simple-pet-insurance-poll

I got pet insurance if anything for the peace at mind. I have trupanion and they thing I like about them is that all of their plans have 90% coverage but you choose your deductible, so the lower the deductible the higher your monthly payment. I like that you can customize it to fit your budget. Currently I have Moose, my puppy, with a lower deductible because he's a curious puppy who is more prone to getting into something he shouldn't. I have a much high deductible on Loki, who is almost two and has no health concerns and is not a trouble starter in the least bit. I think healthy paws has adjustable deductibles too but I'm not sure. I know Pet Plan is another great one.

I have Healthy Paws insurance for Winnie- $30/month for a $250 deductible, 90% pay and unlimited lifetime limit. One recent visit for an abdominal issue met her deductible, and I've got peace of mind knowing that I won't have to dip into my "fun" account to pay for her medical bills. 

Healthy Paws is super easy to work with the App that they have. Simply take a picture of your receipt and hit Submit! If only my own personal health insurance was that easy..... :-)

I think we may be going with Healthy Paws after doing some online research.  They are rated highly.

Hi Tara,

I've heard some very good things about Healthy Paws.  As I indicated, I have Trupanion and the advantage for me, is that I believe Trupanion, is the only insurer who will make arrangements to reimburse the provider directly, so you don't have to lay out large sums of money and wait for reimbursement.   This has proven to be truly helpful for me, because Paz's lymphoma treatment is ongoing, and each visit can be very expensive.  At one point he was hospitalized, and the bill was almost $4,000, so there is a huge advantage as I don't have to max out my credit card, and am only responsible for the copay.  Just a thought, however, I have looked at Healthy Paws and I believe they are similar to Trupanion, so you will get good coverage with either company.

Unless the insurance paid their part in full before I left the office, my vet would never agree to that. They have signs everywhere that state full payment before you leave, no exceptions.

I totally understand that many vets would not agree to that process.  Blue Pearl Veterinary Partners where Paz is being treated, is a specialty practice in which the animals such as Paz, are  receiving extensive, specialty care.  Therefore, Blue Pearl has an arrangement with Trupanion, in which Blue Pearl submits a preapproval plan to Trupanion and Trupanion immediately issues an approval in which they detail what services they will cover, and that portion for which the owner is responsible.  This process has made Paz's treatment less financially daunting, in that Paz's weekly chemotherapy treatment can cost almost $1,200, and his two radiation treatments were $7,000.    My regular vet doesn't have this arrangement, but fortunately, Blue Pearl where Paz is being treated for lymphoma, is billing Trupanion directly.  In any event, good insurance coverage, whether Healthy Paws or Trupanion, truly enhances the pet parent's ability for access to quality care if the need arises, so I am a big proponent of having pet insurance for our beloved four legged family members.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service