DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I would like some opinions on using pinch collars. Is there anyone with experience with using them?

Views: 161

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, I have used them with much success. As a matter of fact, when Murphy started his 2nd class at 6 mos and 65 lbs. the instructor came over with one saying "try this". It was like night and day. MUCH better than the choke collars (although they look awful). If they do not pull there is NO correction. I could take Murphy anywhere and not be pulled around.
I weaned him off at about 2 years.
I also started using a pinch/prong collar in class. It is terrific! I ordered one from Leashes by Design since I wanted a quick release closure. the links on the regular collar made it very difficult for me to use. Luca does not seem tto mind it at all but he is aware it's there and is very easy managed with it on.
I use a pinch on Rosco. Started with a choke collar until he was highly trained and switched to refine a few skills because he's BIG and I'm not and it gave me more leverage to use a prong/pinch.
I, too am an advocate of pinch collars. They are much easiet to learn to use than a choke collar and therefore I (IMP) uch kinder than choke collars. Pinch collars only look worse, because they deliver a quick effective signal when popped, even inexpertly, they don't put constant pressure on your dog's trachea. They should be high quality collars with rounded, not sharp prongs, and fit with two fingers easily between the collar and the dog's neck. Again, in my opinion, pinch collars result in quicker, clearer training and much less popping.
Hi Denise,
I have used a pinch collar on Parris. I was a little hesitant about it until my obedience teacher explained how they work. It works because it simulates the mother's correction to her pups. When a puppy has misbehaved, the mother will correct him by biting him on the back of the neck. She went on to warn that the PROPER FIT is so important." It should be fitted snugly so that, when in a released position, the prongs are setting on, but not pinching the skin. The chain portion should be in a triangle, neither so loose that the rings touch nor so tight that the chain is stretched. "
Denise,
I forgot to add that if you decide to use a pinch collar, never leave it on your dog unsupervised. Do not let them be in a crate or by themselves because it is dangerous.
When we started Level 1 Obedience training, our trainer used prong collars. We went thru the 1st half of the class with just a choke chain and I don't think Max's feet were even on the ground and than we put on the prong collar and he was like a different dog. The difference is amazing and he doesn't mind wearing it. I have been walking him with just a flat collar lately and with the squirrels and the birds its been a pulling session. When we put on the prong he won't pull so much. He walks so much better with the prong collar. I HIGHLY recommend it!
When I would take my doodle to obedience class he would literally pull me across the road with excitement.
The entrance is a boutique which is very small with narrow isles and he would be knocking things off the tables with his tail, digging/pulling me to get to the other dogs, jumping with excitement on other people....he was a mess and so embarrassing. Well one day he KNOCKED down the trainer with jumping excitement. (she had him on the leash trying to calm him down). Well that was IT for him! She brought out a prong collar and showed me how to use it. I was a little mad at her b/c at that time I had never really physically punished my dog and those collars "look" so cruel. Well she told me to borrow the collar until the next class. I thought, "Whatever, I'll take it to appease you, but I'm not using it"! Well, I did put it on him one day when I took him for a walk. The walk was a NIGHT AND DAY difference and I bought the collar the next class! He doesn't pull when walking and it makes teaching heel easier. He still gets really excited when he sees certain people but he doesn't jump or wallow all over them like he used too. I actually think he doesn't have such a defiant attitude in class either. Just be sure you learn the proper use of the collar if you decide to use one.
I bought a pinch collar at PetSmart. This one has a clip on it so I don't have undo a prong to put it on and take it off. Abby did great on this - stayed right by my side with no pulling what so ever. I have tried the gentle leader as well, and she would run ahead until it was pulling on her, and then she did nothing but fight it. The pinch collar is wonderful! A very mild tug was all that was needed with this and she figured out exactly what was expected of her. She heeled perfectly. A few lessons on this and maybe the gentle leader will be sufficient. Thank you all for your advice -
I used one with my old dog who was a rescue dog. She was never dependable around kids, but she looked awfully cute so people and children would come running up to her without checking with me first. An added advantage of the prong collar was that people would notice the collar and ASK before coming up to pet her. :-)
My trainer compared the muscles in a dog's neck to our legs, their necks are much less sensitive than ours. And as other people have said, it was so much nicer to walk without my dog PULLING and choking the whole way!
Actually, before I ever bought one, I wrapped the pinch collar around my arm and gave it a tug - it didn't hurt me at all. You don't jerk - just a little tug. In looking at this thing, I never thot I would ever buy one - but it isn't as vicious as it looks. And I'm sure that Abby won't be needing it for very long - she's a fast learner.
I used them with Jordan, and I still put one on her if we are walking in traffic.(Lots of people around) I also bought a "Good Dog Collar". It was a plastic prong collar. It worked great until she pulled really hard and it popped a part. Then she was free.I never used again.
They do work and I also put it in on my neck in pulled hard.It did not hurt. My advice buy the more expensive ones. They seem to have "blunter" (if that is even a word) prongs.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service