DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

We have a new Goldendoodle puppy "Griffin" who is 12 weeks old and has been with us for 4 weeks who has been potty training so-so we are having trouble with piddling in the house (almost always in the same location in the house) but today I caught him about ready to squat and poop in the house.  This is kinda gross but he had like a mucus discharge first and I picked him up and carried him outside and he had his bowel movement which was solid followed up by scooting in the grass.  This is the first instance I have seen of him scooting.  I should probably mention that we gradually switched him over last week from his Breeder Food (Nutro) to Acana, not sure if this is what is causing him the scooting or not.  Any thoughts??

Views: 348

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Regarding the peeing in the same place in the house, you must use an odor neutralizer like Nature's Miracle when you clean up the area. Even when you can't smell anything and there is no stain, the dog can still smell it. You have to remove the odor all the way through to the floor, so if it a carpeted area, you have to pour enough odor neutralizer on the spot to completely saturate it; just spraying and blotting is not enough. As long as he can still smell any trace of urine, he will continue to go there.

The scooting may mean that his anal glands are impacted. It is possible that the food change may have caused this, or he may have had the problem before that. The best way to express the anal glands is internally, sometimes the situation is made worse by applying pressure extrenally, so you might want to have a vet check him out if the scooting continues.

Some info on "scooting" and anal glands:  http://www.marvistavet.com/html/anal_sacs.html

The fortunate part about Griffin piddling in the same area is that it is on our laminate floor not carpet and I have been using an odor neutralizer, I guess the other frustrating part is that lots of times he is piddling shortly after he has come back in from outside and piddling outside too, I know that this is part of puppy training and he is very good about everything else, sleeps in his crate through the night without any accident, road trips up to 2 hours in his crate without the need to get out either so I know he can do it. 

I will keep an eye on the scooting issue, he has an appointment for his next set of vaccinations shortly and if the problem persists I will definitely speak to our vet about the problem.  Thanks Karen.

I am wondering if the urine is getting under the laminate flooring (through the seams) and spreading to the underlayment material.  Maybe you need to pour a good amount of the odor neutralizer on the area of the floor and let it seep through.  Or saturate a rag with it and leave it on the spot for a week or so to break the habit.  Just some thoughts.

I am worried about the urine saturating throught the laminate as well, thank you for the suggestion, much appreciated.  I have moved a piddle pad today to that location and he has piddled on it once and off of it once, so that may be progress, I just don't want to have to use piddle pads for any length of time.

I would pour the odor neutralizer on the floor if there is any possibility of the urine having gotten into the seams and/or under the flooring. Dogs' sense of smell is scary-strong!  

Ya then I am worried about the moisture getting under the laminate and lifting the floor up, it really is a catch 22.

Unfortunately, that's the risk you take. The only alternative is keeping the puppy confined to a different area any time you cannot watch him every second.

Laminate seams do buckle a bit with too much moisture too.

I would rather have the floor buckle from the odor neutralizer than urine.  My guess is that if you put the neutralizer on and put a fan on it overnight that it won't buckle. 

I have laminate flooring and will say out of 3 doodle puppies one constantly peed .....we found out she was a 2 pee one poop walk..and ANYTIME she played every 20min out we'd take her......YOUNG puppies all r different like some toddler potty train early others take ages......Nature's miracle oxy power is good......and so is urine be gone........THE scooting keep an eye on the anal glands, sometimes they end up releasing them---if they do YOU will know, the odor is indescribable. the family doodle i am fostering did AFTER having her anal glands done via a family member.

puppies systems are maturing.......now you can keep canned pumpkin (not the mix) real pumpkin or yams/sweet potatoes on hand. They aid in soothing intestines .....TOO much gives them diarrhea...only a teaspoon is necessary, SO if you ever see MUCOUS in the stool that means intestines are upset.......watch color of stool too. mustardy yellowish would mean possible roundworms etc which is normal for puppies this young.

Hang in there........it's gets better........oh usually you want to switch foods over slowly that way intestines handle it better

He may need his anal glands expressed. This happened to my Shelby once.... I took her to the vet, they expressed them and it was only a 1 time experience. I would take him in to get checked out.

I haven't had a scooting problem (thank heavens!), but this reminded me of what Trav does if he gets a bit of poo stuck on his behind.  He won't move!  This has only happened three or four times, but if he's taking care of business in the yard and gets a bit stuck on his rear end, he just stays right there and waits for me to fix things.  The first couple of times this happened, I couldn't figure out why he was just standing or lying down in one place, not coming when he saw me or trying to play or anything.  I thought there was something seriously wrong with him.  Upon inspection, I found the offending blob and removed it with some paper towels and scissors.  The last time, just a couple of days ago, he "called" me, with a little whining noise.  So cute!  Well, not the poo, but the behavior.  :)

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service