DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Is it common for rescues to continue to work through behavior issues that were a result of their previous situations 6+ months after you have them? Jake has come a long way in his 6 months with us. No more hoarding food or drinking water until he throws up. He is starting basic obedience classes with my husband which is great. I think Jake has a true working dog's personality. He really likes to be doing things. He follows me or hubs around when we do things around the house.
However, he does love to play the "you can't catch me game" when we need to get the dogs to come in from the outside. At times he still seems to be testing us, like grabbing one of our things and wanting us to chase him. But the thing that concerns me is that sometimes when we go to pet him he cowers,like he has been hurt by this. Other times, he seems to seek out body contact and will squeeze right next to you and put his paws in our lap and lean into us pretty intently. Also, brisby and pickles seem to understand when I say enough and tell them to settle. I spend equal amounts of time doing individual training but it seems Jake just is taking ALOT longer to train than the other boys (even though pickles is only 5 months old). On the other hand, Jake is always watching a persons face and body when walking on leash where the others don't seem to be that in tune. Just wondering if it's his upbringing before us or his genetics.
Pickles and brisby are relatively easy to trsin and while Jake is tougher, I see soooo much potential in him.

Views: 231

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There are probably many factors but, yes, I think rescue dogs can take awhile to trust and bond with people.  I used to describe the difference between our dogs like this:  Charlie had been with us since he was a puppy and had a sense of entitlement which led to his confidence.  Wayne came to us as a rescue and knew that things could be different.  He was grateful for a loving home and needed daily reassurance.  Every day I tell him not to be afraid and that I love him.

Now after 5 years, Wayne is much more settled, comfortable and mature.  I don't see so much difference in them.  My daughter's dog came from a shelter and had been in many shelters before coming home 1 1/2 years ago.  She is still working through issues.

Jenn, I adopted JD in January of 2006 when he was 14 months old. He has come a very, very long way in the ensuing 8 years, but to this day, he sometimes flinches when I pet the top of his head, or even reach out my hand toward it. I think there are certain things that stay with them always. That doesn't mean that there can't or won't be improvements, though. Eight years ago, JD was afraid of just about everything outside of the house. Today, he walks down the street like he owns it. :) 

cala occasionally flinches when I make a sudden movement and she does startle easily. I doubt it was based on her history before me so maybe it,'s in. Born. And ?Luca was leery of doors before his tail injury but more so now I think.

It may be inborn in many cases, but JD also used to hit the deck and cower when anyone faced him holding a long cylindrical object (think rolled up newspaper). He definitely showed signs of having been hit. :( 

My sister's Chihuahua is a rescue and the same thing goes for him - if a man is holding anything like that he cowers and shakes (it's improved throughout the years). He is 11 and my sis rescued him when he was 1. 

My daughter has 2 rescues and they both still have many issues several years after being rescued.  It is sad to look into their expressive eyes and wonder if they will ever be able to be free of the memories. They are loved beyond measure now and have a wonderful life but you can still see past damage with some of their quirks and reactions.  Thank you again for rescuing Jake and giving him a chance!  

Lily Grace will flinch on occasion when someone comes down on her head to pet her. She has been with me since she was 10 weeks old so I do think this is in-born. I think that they must sense the movement towards them and just are not comfortable. Because I live at a Riverwalk that has a splash pad for kids, I am always reminding kids how to safely pet a dog. Lily Grace is so very patient. She loves the attention she gets from them.

I am confident Quincy was never hit before we got him a 11 weeks and certainly not after, and yet he does not like a hand coming down onto his head, even quite gently and slow. I always go under his snout or behind his ears which he is fine with.  

Jake has come a long way-how lucky is he to have you and your whole crew to love him! 

Good point on that too - Peri doesn't like for you to come with a hand to her head either and she's never been hit either.

It's just going to take time and all dogs, even in the same breed, are totally different.  Good luck and thanks for rescuing!

To answer you in a nutshell - YES it takes longer than six months.   Clancy had no major issues, but was very "needy" and attention-seeking.  If we yelled at him for something (like the settling in arguments that occurred for months between he and our Springer) - he took off out the dog door like a shot.  He came to us with an ear infection and in order to get meds in his ears, our son literally had to tackle him and hold him down.  He had another infection when he had been with us for about 6 months and we didn't have to tackle him but my dh did have to keep him still with a firm grip.  After a year, he had a third ear infection and I called him over and he held himself still.  See the progress in his confidence in our ability to take care of him and that we would NOT hurt him?  When we had had him for a year, I realized that he had really relaxed and knew that he was ours forever.  We took him to training too and it really helped continue building the bond.  We have had him longer than he was old when we got him (sounds weird - he was two and he just turned six). He still will not let us pet him with our feet - you know when they are laying right by you and you rub with your bare foot. He jumps and moves every time, but he is ours through and through and he knows it now.  (Had he been kicked in his past?  we surmise so).  We also feel that he was teased through a fence because he will charge people hanging over a fence. He hates men who walk with a strut or exaggerated gait - and will growl and bark.

What has been fun about getting an adult rescue is learning his idiosyncrasies  and glimpses of his former life.  He hoards toys under his tummy and is very vocal when playing with them. He responds to a whistle immediately.  Too bad I can't whistle; luckily dh can!  He tries to catch frizbees. He is a very polite fetcher.

We got Ned at 3 1/2 months and he was leery of door for a loooonnnng time - I truly think the children of the house were in charge of herding the puppies into certain areas, and you know how kids can be with doors!  Ned is also sometimes leery of a hand or shadow coming down over his head.

We have had Skeet 6 years and even though he is better he still has a few issues. Gulps his food and

is hesitant to let some people pet him even if he knows them. They get better but I believe they always

retain a bit of their past. Just like people I suppose. It does get better with time for sure.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your help and encouragement.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service