DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Gracie had her rabies shot last Friday and we just noticed a lump in the area where she received the injection.  Has anyone else experienced this with your Labradoodle?

Concerned parents!!

Views: 149

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've noticed it on my other dogs - it usually goes away in a several days. Make sure however that it does not look like an abcess - no heat, not real squishy, and not red or infectious looking.

Hi Cindy,

The area isn't hot or infectious looking.  We'll continue to watch it. 

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. 

I haven't noticed this with my two. But there is often a reaction at the site of an immunization. As long as Gracie seems fine, is eating and like herself I wouldn't be concerned. Keep an eye on the injection site to monitor that it doesn't get much larger or look infected, etc.

Hi F.Parker,

She seems to be herself although she's never been a great eater. 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Tell Gracie that I couple of months ago, I had the same thing happen to me - lol - o.k. it wasn't a rabies shot it was the Shingles Vaccine.  Huge puffed up area, all red and nasty looking.  I know how you feel Gracie!  I'd watch it to see if it gets worse but for now I think it is not uncommon to have this happen.

Hi Jane,

Sorry to hear about the reaction you had to your shingles vaccine.  I guess I was lucky when I had my vaccine 2 years ago.

Thanks for writing!

Just like humans can get bumps after injections, especially when they are injected under the skin.  It takes a little while for the fluid to be absorbed because only so much can be absorbed at once.  Also, if it was into the muscle sometimes the muscle gets "irritated" from the shot and gets inflammed.  The bump should go away.  If it is bothering Gracie you can try a warm wet washcloth.

A firm, non-painful lump under the skin at the site of injection:
It is not uncommon, particularly with killed vaccines containing reactive adjuvants (immune system stimulatory additives), to get a lump at the site of vaccination. Generally this lump is under the skin and can be quite mobile. Often somewhere around the size of a pea, right up to the size of a large marble, these vaccine-site-reaction lumps are comprised of a mixture of inflammatory cells (the immune system cells that attacked the injected vaccine) and scar tissue. They may stay the same size for years or can, over time (generally 2-6 weeks), reduce in size. Some will even disappear. In some breeds (e.g. poodle, bichon), these reactions can be associated with dark skin pigmentation and loss of hair at the site of the vaccine. Many veterinarians will vaccinate show dogs in discrete areas (inside the groin, under the point of the shoulder) to avoid vaccine-associated lumps or hairloss being picked up by judges at shows.

When to worry:
If the lump grows very large within the first month of vaccination (particularly if the lump is red and painful or the animal is off colour), I would advise veterinary attention. Not all vaccine lumps are typical vaccines site reactions: abscesses can occur if the vaccine was contaminated with bacteria or if bacteria from the skin was inadvertently pushed under the skin by the vaccine needle. Abscesses need veterinary attention.
Also, if the lump stays one size for ages and then, inexplicably, starts growing in size, I would definitely advise checking this. It is possible for cancers (e.g. feline vaccine associated sarcoma) to form at sites of inflammation, including vaccination inflammation. For this reason, you should make a habit of regularly palpating and noting the size of any lump present on a pet.

Hi Tina,

Fantastic information!  It doesn't seem to be bothering Gracie but we're going to try a warm wet washcloth.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

This happened to our momi goldendoodle Chloe on her last round of shots in the spring. We noticed it the day after and it kept getting bigger so my DH took her in and they had to shave a spot and drain the junk out of it, I forgot what it was called but then she had a smaller on on the other side where shots were given, that one stayed small and went away on it's own. So I guess the best thing to do is watch it. Good luck

Hi Jennifer,

Sorry to hear about Chloe.  We talked to our Vet this morning and they told us that it happens to some dogs after the vacination. 

We're going to watch it and if it's there in a week, we'll take Gracie to see our Vet.

Thank you

Doodle Kisses is an amazing website and community!!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service