DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I am posting this for my daughter who is looking to rehome her 3 year old cockatoo "Tucker".   Tucker has food allergies and must be on a Prescription diet that costs $70/month.  She has contacted all the rescue organizations and has been turned away due to tuckers health problems.  He is as cute as can be, loves to cuddle and chase his ball.  They have a 1 1/2 year old child, a 6 year old cockatoo, car loans, school loans, mortgage----it keeps going.  I would take him, but have Harry and Ella, 85 lb bernedoodles. I was just down there (Dallas) for Xmas and can't tell you how cute he is. I will pay shipping.  If you know of anyone or have suggestions, I would appreciate your help

Views: 826

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ha ha. I'm not really a big walleted person but I sure hope my heart can continue to be big enough to make up for that. :o) Maybe all my emotional and financial resources haven't quite been exhausted as I still feel like I wouldn't change a thing, even knowing now how hard it is. I just love my Pooh Bear Winston so much.

Did you get Winston KNOWING he had his allergy issues?  IF you did then yes your heart will make up for your wallet =)  But seriously not everyone is cut out for dealing with this...it's important that whoever is rescuing him or fostering him knows the full deal they are getting.

I agree, there aren't that many people who would do this. Either I'm crazy, dumb and gullible, or I have a heart the size of a watermelon, or all of the above. And yes I knew but was in denial about how bad it was. The owners told me it's worse in the spring and summer and I just assumed it was so bad because they kept him outside all the time. But now it's the middle of winter and it is just as bad as ever. :( It's a good thing I don't have a family to support, that would make all of this impossible. Maybe that's what Tucker needs. Someone who is single who has the time to devote to him.

Sherri, how could a foster do what you're doing for Winston? You're committed to him and you're in it for the long haul.

Exactly. In fact, only 10% of allergies in dogs are related to food, which means 90% of the time, it cannot be controlled by changes in diet alone. Obviously, if the symtpoms are caused by food, and you eliminate the offending foods, the symptoms are gone and the problem is solved. If food was Tucker's main problem, he wouldn't have flares and wouldn't need steroids.

Testing for Atopy ranges from about $500-$800 dollars, not including the antigens, which are required on a weekly or monthly basis for life. (The induction phase of immunotherapy requires every other day daily shots for several weeks, and shots must be given at the same time each day and the dog monitored) And if the immunotherapy doesn't work or fails down the road, you're looking at cyclosporine, which is extremely expensive and has horrendous side effects. There are life style changes and expenses involved as well.

Thanks, Adina. I've sent a follow-up note to ensure Jo & IDOG are aware of the potential issues when/if they begin to have conversations with Margaret's daughter.  Hopefully, a great solution can be found for Tucker soon. Thanks again. - Tom

Thank you, Tom, for finding a possible solution.  I hope this works for Tucker.  I understand Rachel's dilemma.  Sometimes we just have to face a reality that in the ideal world we would never want to do.  I hope Tucker finds a new forever home quickly in order to ease everyone's pain.  Nancy

Thanks so much. Doodle kisses is just full of caring individuals. I have sent your message on to my daughter
Margaret

Oh my gosh he is so cute, I can bare to look at him and think what will happen to him, if he doesn't get the proper care. Gosh... I hope a solution comes up fast.

My bulldog was never diagnosed with atopy but had similar symptoms when I got her and had just been weaned from prednisone to atarax with poor results so she could be spayed (had not yet been done). Itching, itching, itching - feet, nose wrinkles, under her chin, cheeks where she rubbed on the furniture all red and raw. Tried a variety of high end single protein, low ingredient foods without success, briefly did Science RX with some improvement but it is such miserable food that it was just not morally acceptable to stay on it. Finally switched to a prey model raw diet, adding in one protein at a time with a two week trial unless it was obvious that she could not tolerate that protein. Now no beef or chicken products, but she does well with lamb, pork, turkey and fish. Occasionally she will have some fruit as a snack. Skin is clear, occasional benadryl for mild seasonal itching, atarax if the itching is more pronounced. Now I realized that this won't work for all dogs, but she is the second dog that I have had with allergies that has responded well to a raw diet with limited ingredients.

Just checked the Canine Inherited Disorders database, and both miniature poodles and American cocker spaniels are among the breeds most likely to develop Atopy. So a cockapoo would be a good candidate for it.

http://ic.upei.ca/cidd/disorder/atopy

Hi Margaret. So sorry to hear that poor Tucker needs a new home. For the record,  DRC did not receive a request for help with placing Tucker but we are happy to help in any way that we can.

While yes it can be difficult for rescue organizations like DRC and IDOG to place dogs with ongoing health issues,  both organizations can testify that it is not impossible. It usually just takes a little longer to find that one, very special, committed family.

Both organizations have taken in many dogs with all kinds of ongoing health issues and have been quite fortunate to have found them wonderful homes.

IDOG does an outstanding job and I am certain they will find Tucker a wonderful home and a committed family willing to see him through his health issues.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service