DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

If you want a puppy where you aren't allowed to ask questions - where the breeder will not respond to you with proper answers - where the breeder is almost a puppy mill (close to ten litters at any given time) - and where she puts up a difficult front - then if this is the kind of breeder you want to deal with -then be sure to contact Heather Hale.

This became one of the worst experiences of my life - and what should have been a pleasurable experience became anything but! We had lost our Golden Retriever to cancer six months ago - so I waited a while and then began researching puppies - we felt that the Labradoodle was our best bet. After deciding on the dog we decided to buy a puppy from Hales - which is located in Bakersfield and about two hours away. I explained to her immediately what we went through and that we wanted to be very careful on the health of the dog. Yes, in the beginning I asked the type of questions that anyone in our situation would ask - which Ms. Hale became very defensive and seemed to get frustrated with each question I asked. She actually told me that since I asked a lot of questions that she wasn't the breeder for me! But she took my money in October for a litter to be born in November.

About two weeks ago I joined a forum on this site that was on the subject of desexing puppies at six weeks. There are a lot of discussions about this - some favorable and some not so favorable. One person attached a document that spoke against early desexing - so I sent the article to Hale and asked her for a comment. The next I get is a note from her that she was canceling my deposit and informing me if I wanted a Labradoodle Puppy - I needed to look elsewhere. My wife and I were heartbroken - we had plans to go there in a few weeks to select the puppy and we already had begun to buy toys - as well as selecting a name. On top of all this - she chose Thanksgiving eve to send me this note! We are now over this heartbreak and we have plans to look at another future litter - where the breeder lives within an hour of us.

My wife told me not to write anything and to let sleeping dogs lie (so to speak) - but being a terrible experience that we just went through and knowing that this is a Labraddole site - I wanted to make sure that no one else suffers the same heartbreak that we did.

Views: 9044

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In addition to Todd's comments, intact males are not allowed at many obedience classes, at least not in my area.
My area doesn't allow intact males to be in puppy daycares either. You have to show a copy of your spay/neuter vet bill along with all of your shots.
In my opinion, I wouldn't do the guardian thing, but that is just me. I like 100% control over my dogs. I am a control freak LOL!!!
He's 12 weeks old - I don't believe that most dogs are even neutered by this age! Also, after reading a few messages above - I googled "health problems with intact dogs" - it seems like there are just as many (if not more) health problems associated with a neutered dog than an intact one. Not that we won't eventually neuter the dog - which we will when we get full control of him at age four or five (if not sooner).
I considered a guardianship for my second dog. I realized that for me it wasn't going to work. I didn't want someone else telling me what to feed, how to groom etc. I guess I've always had a problem with responsibility without authority.
Babbie Holden from Royal Diamond Labradoodles is fantastic! Not only did she answer all of our questions immediately, she educated us on the breed and expectations. We spent a little extra money and she trained our dog prior to bringing him home. HE IS WONDERFUL and it has been a fantaastic experience. She has two puppies left last I spoke. They are five months old right now. Go to Groups for a search and she is there. Good Luck! Babbie is great.
There is no rule here in Marin County (California) about not allowing intact males to obedience classes. Winston was 9 months old when he had surgery and he finished a class just a week before he had the surgery. We never had any issues, not that there can't be. The only program in Marin that restricts dogs is the Therapy classes, they will not certify dogs that have not been spayed/neutered. You can take the class but until the dog is fixed no certificate. Dogs doing the AKC showing circuit are not fixed.
wow is all I can say.....would love to talk to you and see how you are doing and answer any questions that i can. I love this breed and my soul goal is to make sure that people are educated about the breed. I would love to hear from you. Come be my friend. Babbie R. Holden, with Royal Diamond Labradoodles. I'm probably about an hour from you. I'm in La Verne, CA

Oh my gosh, we had the same experience with Hales Doodles!! Heather Hale didn't like that I asked a few questions about a 12 week old puppy that hadn't yet been adopted. When I kindly asked about the puppy she "changed her mind" and said that if we wanted the puppy we would have to come meet her first and then she would make the choice if we passed her inspection!!! Can you believe that? We only wanted to know about weight, sleeping habit (since the dog had been sleeping with her son) and if the dog was potty trained yet. She had some odd excuse as to why the dog was not potty trained. She said he was so small that she was afraid the other dogs would overwhelm him??? Then when I asked her how much the dog weighed at 12 weeks she said she wasn't comfortable selling us the dog?? Very uptight, self centered person who does not deal with people very kindly. I would not recommend her. We also got our dog from Country Labradoodles and Elizabeth Ferris was fantastic!

Our puppy is very sweet and cute too!

She may look after her dogs well, she may do the health testing, she may feed good food.... but she has 30 females and 12 males! That sounds like a mill of sorts to me! How can that many dogs (and puppies from them) be socialized?

In June 2014, we purchased a labradoodle puppy from Hale's Australian Labradoodles. The breeder/owner, Heather Hale, never corresponded with us during the initial litter selection through purchase. Every time we called or emailed Heather, an assistant would respond back to us. After driving 3.5 hours to pick up our new puppy by appointment, Heather still was unavailable. One of her assistants handed us our puppy in her front yard. There was no greeting or tour. Although we thought this was very strange we happily took our beautiful puppy home. Our puppy recently turned 1 year old and he already has had 5 seizures. He has been fully examined by our vet and a neurologist who performed 3 blood tests, an MRI and a spinal tap. The neurologist informed us the seizures were most likely genetic epilepsy since all tests turned out negative. Our puppy will be on medication for the rest of his life. Heather refused to take any responsibility or accountability for selling us an unhealthy puppy.

I'm so sorry that your puppy has been having seizures. I am glad, though, that this discussion has been revived, because I have something to add. Before getting my Charlotte, I spoke to your pup's breeder, who gave me a very hard time when I started asking questions about genetic testing. She basically told me that I should trust her, and now hearing all of this, I am glad that I RAN to find another breeder. I hope that you are able to control your puppy's epilepsy and that he has an otherwise healthy and happy life.  

So sorry to hear about your puppy.  I think we may have a puppy that is your pup's brother.  He recently was diagnosed with epilepsy.  Was your pup born April 15, 2014 to Mustacio and Summer?

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service