DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I have a question.  My brother and his wife have rescued a half sheltie/half border collie.  I am concerned for a few reasons.  He kept going on and on about how smart the dog will probably be.  I know that shelties and border collies in particular are supposedly very intelligent dogs, but is that always a good thing?  They have 2 young kids, another dog they rescued last year (pit mix), my brother works 6 or 7 days a week at night and is very busy with church, etc.  They don't have a very big yard and they never exercise or anything like that.  I always have read that intelligent dogs usually will get in trouble more if not challenged or stimulated.  Also, don't border collies require lots of exercise? 

Finally, this pup is 6 months old and has already been diagnosed with hip dysplasia.  WHAT?  My SIL told my brother that the vet said the only thing they need to do for it is give her glucosamine for her joints.  Is that right?  Everything I have heard seems like it is very expensive and requires surgery.  Is that not correct?

Well, even though I voiced my concerns, they did it anyway.  He says they feel sorry for the dog.  My argument was that I do too, but I am concerned that this dog will not get what it needs and it is not a good fit.  There are plenty of dogs to rescue without knowingly getting yourself into a mess (they don't have lots of money).  Am I wrong?  I don't want to sound insensitive.  I will back off because really it's none of my business.  I was just concerned.  I don't want them to decide this is too overwhelming and then give the dog up again.  Then I would be mad...

Views: 222

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No you're not wrong, Traci. This is a disaster for a number of reasons. So many reasons, I feel overwhelmed just thinking about trying to address them. 

My first question would be, where did this dog come from? Did they adopt her from a shelter? A rescue group? Did they actually "rescue" her themselves from an abusive situation, or did they simply adopt her from an organization? 

The breed mix is an issue. She is a mix of two herding breeds, and border collies in particular are not ideally suited to city or suburban living. And yes, they need a LOT of exercise, and they also need a "job" to do or they are going to get into lots of trouble. 

But the biggest issue is the HD. I cannot imagine any reputable rescue group adopting out a puppy with HD, although the public shelters and animal controls do. It would be an absolute crime not to have a 6 month old puppy with HD evaluated by an orthopedic surgeon, as there are surgeries that can only be done before the dog is 11 or 12 months old and before arthritis has set in that have very high success rates and are less complicated than the surgeries that are done in older dogs with HD. And yes, the surgery is VERY expensive.I don't know what kind of vet told them that all she needs is glucosamine, but I wouldn't use that vet. 

As to feeling sorry for her, there are millions of dogs in shelters who desperately need love and a home. I feel sorry for her too, but it doesn't sound like your brother & his wife are able to provide the best situation for her; it doesn't sound like a good match either way. And if she does end up being given up at a later date, it will much harder for her to find a new home. A 6 month old puppy is much easier to place than an adult dog, especially one with HD, and that HD is going to more difficult to treat later on as well. 

The best thing would be for them to contact a Border Collie specific rescue group. There are dozens of them, thanks to the movie "Babe". 

Yes,border collies usually are very active and they like to herd, not always the best with kids. But then, people complain about doodles needing tons of exercise and my two don't get that aside from what they do running around in the yard and they are fine. Hip dysplasia comes in all stages of severity so it's hard to say what this dig may eventually need. But it was diagnosed in this young dog so it makes you wonder. Sad but I don't think there is much you can do.

Hmmm--I wonder how they know about the hip dysplasia? Usually there has to be symptoms unless it is a breeding dog and they do a hip xray. I have a doodle with hip dysplasia that was determined with the Xray and she was then spayed--however, it is very mild and she is now over 6 years old with no ill effects...so this is a tough one--if it is mild, then how would they know she had it? If the dog has already had symptoms so that they could determine the issue without testing, then it might be severe--but this is just a wild guess on my part.

I think that border collies can make good pets--my son-in-law has a border collie mix and he is a lovely dog--but my SIL is a very good trainer and does not let him get away with much.

Can't comment on the hip dysplasia but my sister's family has a border collie and he's a wonderful family pet.  They definitely have their quirks and do much better if they have a job.  If they don't have a job, often they will make one up for themselves.  The job could be Frisbee, obedience, agility, hide-and-seek, lots of things - it doesn't have to be herding.  Encourage your brother & SIL to find something to use the dog's intelligence, otherwise he will find something to do on his own :-)

Thanks for your concerns, Karen.  It makes me feel like I'm not crazy or paranoid.  To answer your question, they got the dog at an animal shelter.  After I expressed some concern, they did take the dog to an orthopedic surgeon who did an X-ray and told them that the HD was mild and would not require surgery.  I don't know how reliable that information is, but I guess at this point, there is nothing else I can do.  I just wanted to make them aware as to what they are getting into and to tell them that if this is something they feel they cannot handle they should get out NOW as opposed to when the dog is older and it is harder to place.  They love the dog and will keep it regardless.  I just hope for the best.  I still have the feeling this will turn out badly, but only time will tell.  I will keep you posted...

Hoping for the best. 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service