DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I have noticed that there are some standards for Labradoodles put out by different Labradoodle or Goldendoodle associations regarding size, temperament, structure, etc. do you agree with them? Do you think it is good to have them or does it matter? According to "breed" standards (I know doodles are not an actual registered breed) standards should not be more than a certain height. Well, Jake and Brisby are well above the standard cut off at the withers. I think they are around 26-27 inches at the shoulders. So what are your thoughts on conforming standards? Good or bad?

Views: 413

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know you cannot participate in certain shows if your dog does not conform to the breed standards. Not that I care for doodles, but just to let you know.

In this forum we have 3 basic dog mixes:

Goldendoodles - Poodle x Golden Retriever (f1, f1b, f2, f2b, etc)

Labradoodles - Poodle x Labradoor Retreiver (f1, f1b, f2, f2b, etc)

"Australian Goldendoodles" or "Cobra Doodle" or whatevever the name is in vogue at the moment - A cross of many different breeds - still evolving.

So now we have to have multiple standards -

My bigger question is if there is a "standard" what happens to the dog that doesn't meet that standard - not curly enough, too curly, tail doesn't curl, etc.  Will it prevent a breeder from selling these? Will they end up in a dog shelter?

We already have people giving up their doodle because it sheds or is to big.  A standard is just going to create unreasonable expectations and we are going to see many more doodles ending up homeless.

My answer is that a standard for any crossbreed dog is not a good idea.

What a perfect answer, Andy. It hadn't occurred to me that a standard would just contribute to the numbers of homeless doodles because it creates even more unrealistic expectations, and we have too many of those already. 

If you had  followed the development of the australian multigenerational doodles there was some talk between the two main originators of smooth coated puppies having been put down in ealry litters as being undesireable. I believe this is why the incidence of poodle infusion is so high in those lines (some are 15/16th poodle).

Not..... I'm proud of the variations...

The one thing that is constant is the fun...
I'm with you, don't need anybody saying that my doodles hair is too straight or his legs are too long! They are perfect just the way they are!

This was supposed to go under Adina's post but it would not put it there???

There have been several movements to get the multigens recognized as a breed, everytime there was a movement, more skeletons fell out of BM's closet of erroneous pedigrees or other breeds being present that she had not initially disclosed. In most cases it was an attempt to cut off those that were infusing the lines with "real" early generation labradoodles from what was going to be considered the "founding stock". It has all been marketing hype with little substance.

I appreciate all the comments about this. I really do not care if there is a breed standard for anything aesthetic although I would hope all good breeders follow similar guidelines. I asked the question also because I was wondering if the "height" subdivisions from the AALA come from poodle AKC standards or are they arbitrary. And I was wondering if they were put in just because or if there is a genetic/skeletal reason why standard size labradoodle don't say "x inches and up" instead of what there is now a "x inches but shall not exceed x inches". Because if that were the case to be a true labradoodle, already 2 of my boys have exceeded the height limit.
When I was into beagles many years ago, the standard said the breed was not to exceed 15 inches at the withers. It was some where suggested that anything over 15" would not fit into certain places foxes could go. Anyway one of my guys was over 15" which didn't matter to me but I always though that was a curious requirement.
As for doodles becoming a breed recognized by the AKC, I could care less as now to can compete in many AKC obedience and agility trials with a breed name of "mixed breed dog".

It was all marketing...I'm serious. Some breeders were among the first to produce certain size doodles, so THEY tried to set a standard that fit their pups and excluded others.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service