DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Where does your doodle sleep? What is the most recommended sleeping arrangements? i.e.. in crate, out of crate, on pillow, in separate room...

Views: 1003

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

DerbyDoodle is 8 mo & sleeps in her crate at night. It is under a desk in the kitchen covered with a towel.
When we leave the house she has the entire kitchen, which is gated off from the rest of the Hse. for her to use...and she most often will just rest in her crate at those times. It is obvious she feels this is her safe, secure place.

My dogs have always slept in my bedroom once they are housebroken and can be trusted out of their crates all night, which for my dogs has always been by 6 months of age. I think most dogs want to sleep where you sleep. 

Mine have always been allowed on my bed and usually moved from place to place throughout the night. JD doesn't care to sleep on my bed at night, preferring to alternate between his own memory foam bed (which is on the floor at the foot of my bed), and the floor right next to my bed.  

I recommend letting dogs select their own sleeping areas after they are housebroken.  Our dogs usually sleep in our room on their own memory foam pads, but when it is hot they prefer to sleep on the tiles in the bathroom which are cool.  They let us know if they need to go out at night by shaking their collars.  I don't like crates and do not have them in our house.

Gavin sleeps on the floor in our bedroom.  He is not allowed on the bed.  He starts out on his bed beside DH's side, then moves to the floor space at the end of the bed and then over by my side.  He is very diplomatic.  He was reliable enough at about 6 months to be left uncrated.  

I think they are pack animals and want to be with the pack.  Currently DH has Gavin and my friend's lab Cooper at the cottage.  We have a teeny bedroom there and there is barely enough room for Gav's bed on the floor, so Coopers bed is nearby in the hall way.  Last night a storm blew up and Cooper looked in the doorway whining.  DH spoke to him and in came Cooper.  Gavin squeezed over to make room and the two 80lb dogs shared Gavin's bed on the floor beside the queen bed in the 8x9 bedroom.  Talk about a tight squeeze, but everyone was happy.

Sawyer is only 4 months, he sleeps in his crate all night in the family room. He knows when I say it's night-night time, he goes in there with snuggle puppy. I'm not sure what we will do as he gets older though. I'll figure that out once he stops antagonizing the cat! :-)
Enzo will be 4 months in another 2 weeks. For now, She sleeps in her crate in our bedroom. She is quite content with the arrangements. Little by little she has gotten more comfortable with her crate and the other when I couldn't find her.....she was sound asleep in her crate! Tnat was a first! Once she is completely housebroken, she'll be allowed to sleep wherever she wishes. We have multiple beds throughout the house for her.

Bailey sleeps on the bed with us.  She usually lays against my husbands legs.  He is amazingly tolerant and accommodates her even though she crowds him.  She seems to know that I can't stand to have my legs restricted and she seldom comes to my side.  Hmmm...maybe she just knows not to bother the Alpha! LOL

There's no one right answer.  It's whatever you prefer and works for all involved :-)
The first 5-6 months of Rosco's life were in a crate in my room.  Then we moved the crate to the living room after I married my husband.  Then, one day when we brought ALL the dogs into our room overnight and realized it was MUCH quieter that way and we've kept them with us in the bedroom ever since.  They sleep on the floor.

My dogs have always slept in my bedroom. My first two I adopted when they were 3 months (not at the same time).  Roxanne was a puppy with  an old spirit, she never did anything wrong!  She slept on my bed from day one.  My second pup, Einstein I kept tethered to my bedside at night, which worked well.  Camus was much older when I adopted him and has always slept in my bedroom with total freedom.  Where he sleeps depends on the weather, either on his  bed, on the floor, or in my bed.   

We have unusual sleeping arrangements since we have two standard doodles. Lucy, the older, sleeps with us on our bed, but Oscar, the 1 yr old, sleeps downstairs in his crate. I know the day is coming when they'll both sleep in our room, but I'm pretty sure there's not enough room for all four of us on one bed. I'm considering a dog bed for Oscar, but knowing him, he'd prefer to sleep on the bed. So right now I'm in limbo over a good solution.

Millie is nearly 6 months old and still sleeps in her crate in our dining room.  She doesn't mind it, and never barks or whines when put in there.  I have young kids too so we go to bed early.  Sometimes, she's in there for almost 12 hours from night until morning.  She just sits up when she's ready to come out.  During the day, she is very seldom crated.  I do put her in there to "reset" her sometimes though, but give her a treat every time.

Our bedroom is where we all sleep though if it gets too warm one of the boys may end out in the hall on the cool tiles. We always wake up to Boris between us in the middle with his head on my pillow and Riley on top of me with his head on my chest....this is usually around 7am!  Riley started in his crate and came into our room at around six months. Boris came straight to our bed from day one... ;) 

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service