DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

So I just got a knock on my door. I took a few minutes to open it and when I did, there was a dog tied to my front rail. It is a small terrier/chihuahua looking mix, maybe about 7lbs? I brought him in and tried to give him food and water, neither of which he is taking. No collar, no tattoo, nothing. I called the local humane society, the vet and animal control, nobody has heard anything and nobody can pick him up. Obviously I will keep the little guy overnight if I have to, but I haven't ever done this type of thing. Suggestions? I have class really early tomorrow morning, before the shelter opens and I'm not sure I should just leave him here in the apartment. Darwin's unbridled excitement is scaring the little guy to death so I have Darwin outside on the patio. Anyone have suggestions for the steps I need to be taking?

UPDATE: Well, I got in touch with a private rescue who advised me to take him to the local shelter. I wanted to take him to the humane society over a local animal control facility, but apparently they will not accept strays, only surrendered pets. If you go in and say it's a stray, they will immediately direct you to an animal control shelter. She advised me to not to try and claim he was my pet because they take that pretty seriously, so the humane society option was out

She said to take him to my local animal shelter, and tell the manager of the shelter to contact her. When I got there, they were looking at me a little bit suspiciously and meanly. I can't really blame them though, I don't think they believed my story. I don't know that I would have believed it either!

Anyways, I asked for the manager of the shelter, told her the name of the private rescuer and she immediately knew who I was talking about. Apparently they know each other well, and she frequently pulls dogs from their shelter. She informed me that he would be kept over the weekend, and the private rescue would come pick him up after that. After inspecting him and his teeth, she noticed that he still had baby teeth and might be around 5 months old. She said he was cute and would be very adoptable. The two workers thought he was adorable and assured me he would be well cared for until the private rescue picked him up. By the way, he wasn't neutered or microchipped, we found that out as well.

It's been kind of a crazy night/day, and I'm running on 4 hours of sleep so I may end up taking a nap. :-) I am SO relieved he is in good hands, and I think he's going to find a great home. Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions and encouragement. What an adventure!

Views: 234

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

OMD! Just too cute. You are a wonderful person to take such good care of this little stranger entrusted to your care. Hope all goes well this morning.
OMD....I'm just seeing this now!     These two guys look like a match made in heaven!

Both dogs are so adorable - I would take the puppy in a second if we lived near Utah.

I gave this some thought so here is my assumption.

Someone found the dog.  They asked around and then were told. " Yeah, those people in that apartment have a dog."

When you did not answer the door right away they thought you were not home so they decided to leave it safely at your doorstep so you would have your dog when you got home.  Nice of them not to just let it loose again.

I think, especially since your complex allows animals, it got loose and belongs to some broken hearted and worried owner tonight.

Tomorrow, they will be crying with Joy you kept he safe, warm, and cuddled with The Darwin. 

P.S.  Would you like us all to write your instructor a note for the reasons you missed class in the morning?  You know we will!!!!
LOL, I think my class-skipping will be okay. I hope, It's actually 2 classes... so cross your fingers!
OMD - he is the cutest thing ever!  If I lived near bye Rooney and I would be in the car on the way to come get him for ourselves.  I'm praying that Joanne is right - someone lost their puppy and will be looking for him, IF someone did dump him - shame on them.  Thanks Camilla and Darwin for your open hearts and kindness!
How did your visitor do during the night?  Is he trained to ask to go out?  Of to work now....bet you guys will have lots to say while I'm gone.  I'll have 100 e-mails by 4:15!  LOL    I'll be checking in later on!  Good luck!
Love his little black nose!

Oh, He is adorable.  And so cute together.

I hope your night went good with him staying over.

And that you can find him a great forever home that he deserves.

except for the ears, he does look like a doodle. Is he a puppy? He has that naughty puppy face - WOL!!

C - you are a wonderful human to take him, bathe him, snuggle with him! You kept him safe and happy instead of just letting him roam the streets (sadly, many would have done just that).

K&J - thank you for finding the info of rescues that can take that sweet little man!

Please keep us updated!

Bless you and your huge heart!!

OMD, I wasn't online last night, so I'm just seeing this posting.  Camilla, you are an angel for taking such good care of this puppy.  What a little cutie.  I'm so glad Karen was able to get you in touch with a local rescue.  It would be so horrible if this little guy was put down.  How was your night?

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service