DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Well, the boys and us that is. After a lot of family discussions, asking questions here, and talking with local families who have active kids and dogs we've decided to take the plunge. We are redoing the entire upper part of our yard. The lower part will remain real grass but the top we are replacing the ahem "grass" (I.e., grass pieces, dirt, weeds) with synthetic lawn. As we live in New Mexico it is so hard to keep a lawn thriving and when you add 3 active doodles and two crazy kids, forget it. Not to mention water restrictions.
As we have been told the lawn can get hot, we are adding a covered porch/pergola type thing over 1/4 of the upper fake grass so there is a cooler area.
Jake also talked me into a doodle pool. He said a pool will make him relax and find his inner zen.
So I'll update via blog entries on the process. I just wanted to post here because there has been discussion regarding fake vs real lawn and now I will have some experience for those with questions.
We are currently training PB&J to go in a designated potty area so that the lawn won't be the primary potty place. The next two weeks will be rough on the boys-lots of workmen, lots of backyard restricted access for them. Poor doodles.

On to our new adventure.

Love,
Jenn and PB&J

Views: 272

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jenn, It sounds like you have put a lot of thought into the design and features of your new yard. I just want to share my experience with synthetic grass, because it resulted in my little Charlotte getting injured. She had a grand ol' time running around on a soccer field that was covered with astro turf, but ended up skinning one of her paw pads pretty seriously. When started to limp, I could see that he skin was literally torn away with only a skin flap left behind. It clearly happened from all of the running that she did on the artificial surface. It healed after about a month, but she was very restricted in putting weight on it and in staying on soft surfaces only. If you are planning on letting your threesome run around on that new "grass," you could end up with problems that are worse than the way your yard looks. Just my two cents.

I'm glad you chimed in Laurie.  I was thinking about how sweet Charlotte got injured from running on that synthetic grass.  That was awful.   Everyone else, to my knowledge, was fine. Not wanting to be a "wet blanket" but definitely something to think about or explore if there's a threesome playing, romping, and running.

The doods will love their new space!  Let us know how the 'grass' works out.

Looking forward to seeing the end result of this wonderful project!  Lucky you and lucky doodles - a doodle pool - whoopee!!

Can't wait to hear how it goes for you.  We've been considering synthetic for a while now and I'm eager to hear what you think of the outcome.  Good luck!

I'm excited for  you and the doodles! Can't wait to get the updates!

Ok here's the blog entry. I'll be posting there with updates.

http://www.doodlekisses.com/profiles/blogs/pb-j-says-bye-bye-to-the...

:)

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service