DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

So, my large, young boy (10.5 months, 80+lbs) is VERY energetic and LOVES to be around people.  When I have guests over, or take him places or take him to doggie daycamp, he gets SO SO SO excited.  Pulling, jumping, jumping up on people...it's almost like he never gets out of the house (which is SO not true...he's out of the house on the low end, once a week, but often more than that.  He also get's visitors often too...).  He's not mean aggressive, but he's aggressive to be your friend, play and get some love.  It is kind of out of control.  When he is home, he's really pretty laid back as long as he gets his play time (though he does occasionally get his puppy spaz time and does this crazy run around the house).  

Anyway, twice in the past week people have suggested I try to use a prong collar on him to help with the "I love people" aggression (seriously, he won't mean to hurt you, but he might knock you down to lick you...).  So, I bought one yesterday...  I have not tried it and honestly, I don't know how I feel about even owning it...  What are your thoughts about using prong collars?  I'm not gonna lie...it looks scary.  I'd appreciate thoughts.  Thanks. 

Views: 338

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jeepers. I use Herm Sprenger collars. The do not injure my dogs or I would not be using them. I tried one on myself first. They exert a bit of pressure, mine are actually Martingale like prong collars. They do not cause cuts or anything remotely like that. The prongs are rounded at the ends.Since the pressure is applied in spots I think they are less likely to injure a dog than most collars though. I did try a Martinggale collar on Luca before I got him his collar and the prong is infinitely more effective. Since my dogs dance joyfully around when they are about to go for a walk I guess they don't mind them. I would never recommend any product that could hurt a dog.

Thank you for the explanation.  So if I may paraphrase - The prongs are not sharp and apply pressure in spots not like a cloth or leather collar that applies the pressure evenly. 

Looking at the collars and almost always seeing them on "aggressive breeds" has obviously created the misconceptions for me.

Yes, that's fair to say. The dogs do not pull often but if they should they never choke which used to happen with my son's standard poodle.I find them to be great insurance and very humane. 

I use a prong on my Springer spaniel because, although he is trained to correct walking, he gives little jerks constantly because he gets to excited about 'stuff.'  We have tried the gentle leader type collars with the Springer and he hated them and it didn't really stop his little jerks.  I use a corrective collar (choke chain) on Clancy because he was trained with one, and he can slip a flat collar if he really wants to.  I use either a corrective collar or a flat collar on Ned.   None of these is 'mean' it is what is best for you and your dog.  We just ordered a cloth collar for Gordie that is a prong but is disguised as a martingale.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service