DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

It is time for me to choose a pup out of a litter and not sure.  I have the choice of a carmel male or female Australian labradoodle.  I originally wanted a male as all my research pointed towards a male possibly being better loving temperament.  We have 3 young kids and my thinking was a male would be better.  The breeder tells me that the male is very needy and whines a lot especially wanting to get out of cage but really just wants to be around people.  He is concerned this might not be a good fit for my active and busy family.  The Female is more even tempered.  The male has a straighter fleece coat where the female is more curly.  Sounds like the female is the safer pick? I have also read through many male vs female discussions and there does seem to be a consensus that males are more affectionate.  Any thoughts?

Views: 666

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am sorry to say you are going to have to take them both, too cute to pick just one! ;-}

I'm with you Judy, perfect answer!

How do you choose - they are both so cute!  However, I might be inclined to go with the breeder recommendation.  The breeder has been around them since birth and should see signs of their personality.  Our breeder picks the puppy for the family, so I had no say - which may have been a good thing.  Good luck.  Looking forward to seeing your homecoming photos of your new little doodle!

Your breeder knows the pups best!  I would listen to him/her.  But they are both so adorable, tough pick!  

We prefered the male, but lucky for us that was also the most even tempered of the liter.  If he had not been, I would have chosen

a female, no problem.  I think the pup will be great, either sex.  Can you go see the puppies for yourself?

Yup both it is:)  All joking aside...I use to have the very same thoughts as you about males being much more affectionate.  I grew up with 3 male black labs and our first dog when I was married was a sweet, loving male golden retriever.  All that thinking changed when about 5 months ago our sweet little pup Ellie came into our lives.  You couldn't get much more affectionate than she.  She is very perceptive to my feelings, she is a constant cuddler both in bed and especially when we are sitting on the couch.  She follows me everywhere I go.  She is just a little sweetheart and I wouldn't trade this experience for the world.  From now on, I will never go looking for either a male or a female, just that particular puppy or dog that has the most amazing temperament and the one I feel most connected too.  Both our dogs have just brought us so much joy and happiness and I am so grateful for each of them.

Both adorable.  I would go with the breeder recommendation, but I will say that I've had only male dogs before, but Libby is the most affectionate dog I've ever been around.  I don't think it's a male/female thing.  Good luck and post photos!

They are just too cute.  As others have said, I would go with the breeder's suggestion.  Good luck.

You can't lose either way, they are just beautiful! I have a boy and a girl, both different personalities and we adore them!

I too vote for going with the breeders recommendation. I did in both cases of my two, one male and one female, and I got exactly what she described and we wanted. The rest is up to you and training to make whatever sex it is into a great family dog. good luck. looks like you cant go wrong either way. Go by personality first tho.

Both puppies are precious -- so very cute. I would encourage you to take that adorable little girl puppy, and not overthink the decision. That's probably easier said than done, since your plans were to have a male dog, but the breeder has been watching them grow and interact, and will guide you to the dog that will fit best into your family and lifestyle. I associate the word, needy, with nervous, and that might not be the best for a busy household. An even-tempered dog is more likely to go with the flow, and with three young children, that might be your best bet.

Before we got Charlotte, I was set on a male puppy. I hadn't even considered female names, as I had first pick after the breeder's choice. When the litter was born, our breeder called to tell me that the puppies had arrived, and that they were all girls -- eight girls! So, we chose Charlotte. She is awesome in every way, and oh, so affectionate. Our other dog, Wally, is also very loving and devoted. Whichever one you choose, good luck!

The breeder will know best.. (its sounding like a broken record here). That said, Oscar is 10x more affectionate than Lucy, but that's just my limited experience.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service