DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I just took Luna out for her after dinner potty and within just a few minutes she was whining and alternating holding her paws up because its so cold. I picked the snow out but she was still whining.  Does anyone's doodle do well with boots?    I feel awful for making her potty outside at this point.  It's currently 1 degree F with 2.5 feet of snow.  

Views: 335

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just posted on the last discussion about putting bag balm on the feet for chapping that my doodle Rio was sitting like a bunny with both front paws in the air as I went to let him in--he was out just a few minutes--the snow itself is so icy, it is tough on their feet! Some people feel the dog would chew off the boots, but a lot of people like Muttluks.

My mini, Guinness is the same way.  He hates it and really would like me to either carry him or shovel away the snow so he can "go".  He's been very cooperative about just going out for a few minutes and doing "his business".  My big guy LOVES it and would stay out there forever.  I tried the boots, but Guinness wouldn't even move while they were on.  I'm guessing it would take some "desensitizing"....letting her wear one at a time inside and "working up", but by the time we got him used to the boots the snow will be gone....hopefully.  I think it's just something we just have to work through for a few months each year.

OMG, did I just refer to Guinnes as "her".  Perhaps because he's been such a "diva" about the snow...but I still must apologize to him to this.

If you haven't got any mushers secret you could use a big dollop of  Vaseline until you get some. If you have a horse supply store you should also find something there we used to put a balm on the horses hooves to stop the snow balling under foot. It is too cold for doodle paws in some places right now.

Yeah I'm thinking Luna will pull the "OMD I'm paralyzed" ploy if I try to put boots on her.  I shoveled a large area for her to potty - in her normal spot - as soon as we get outside - she jumps face first into the largest snow pile.  Her brain must be very conflicted at the moment. :)

The "OMD I'm paralyzed" ploy only last for a few minutes with Haley.  He wears boots once or twice a year to keep the snow from building up on his paws when he plays fetch in it. 

Now, I won't say I'll never complain again, but this post and comments make me realize that we usually have it pretty easy in the winter in this part of Oregon.  Kudos to those of you who put the pups in booties, tend to their icy pads, and shovel potty places for them! 

I live in Alaska, a couple weeks ago we had a cold snap for 3 days... -45 F! Don't feel bad making her go out at 1 F! We love it when it's that "warm" and take about an hour walk each day :) 

Lily hates wet paws and will not walk on salty winter sidewalks. She loves her boots. She will stand and lift her paws for me to put them on. Although they sometimes fall off if she is romping around with her friends, but we always use them for walks.

Boy the snow really gets jammed up between those webbed toes.  During walks Gavin will stop and lift a paw to me to clean out, then carry on.  With Gavin and visiting doodle Mylie here, I spend more time cleaning snow paws.. Both have gotten so used to the routine that they immediately go to their respective towels and lift their paws up one at a time for the clean out.

I am in awe of those of you who live where it gets so cold.  I don't know how you manage and still smile.

We use boots most of the time. Quincy acts like he is going to the gallows when he sees me getting them out but once we are outside he forgets all about them and they don't slow him down one bit. If we don't use boots I use this stuff between his paw pads to help with the snow and ice balls that build up there. Socks might also work if it's just for a few minutes to go potty.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service