DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

I'm having wanderlust lately. Lol! We live in New Mexico and have all our lives. I long for actual weather not sun all time. Not slot of variation. Why do you love or hate where you live? I need to live vicariously through all of you right now.
For me, love: the fact that we have no humidity ever and the fall when the sunny days cool off. Hate: constant sunshine, no variation. No snow, not a lot of rain or clouds.

Views: 1026

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I live in Connecticut....I've been here all my live.  I can't really imagine living anywhere else.  Our whole extended family is here and our own children and grandkids.  I really love the change of seasons.  All the seasons are beautiful to me...I just do different things depending on the month. 

http://www.findyourspot.com/ Here's a cute site that may help you determine where you would like to live...even if you aren't planning to move, it's fun taking the quiz and finding out where you "shoulda been born"  I live in Michigan...once one of the most desired and prosperous states in the country.  But, alas, Detroit...bankrupt?  Who'd a every thought.  Home prices have collapsed, economy slow, people out of work and many on state aid.  We own a business here and when we retire will keep our home because of the gorgeous springs, summers, and falls...but will head somewhere for the cold winters.  So, we need to find that special spot too...right now sounds like Ireland wins!

I did the findyourspot.com quiz.  I got Santa Cruz, CA.  We've been there many times. I think I might just need a trip to the ocean - not a total relocation.

We in live central New Hampshire.  We love that the ocean is just and hour away, that we can drive 7 miles up the road to ski in winter and have a beautiful 30 mile long lake almost in our backyard for boating,  swimming or ice sports in the wintertime.   We enjoy no sales or income taxes and a lovely country atmosphere.   Our summers are pleasant with low humidity and winters....well, we get snow...sometimes not enough...and sometimes enough is enough!  LOL       Autumn is glorious and spring can be anything from rainy and cold to surprisingly warm and dry.    We don't worry about hurricanes, tornadoes, or other natural disasters.   Crime is not much of an issue and life in general is just nice!

The downside is...I have to drive about 45 minutes for any "real" shopping...i.e. malls, etc.    Life is sometimes too quiet....with not much going on, especially once the summer people go back home.    There are days, this time of year, when I can walk a mile in any direction on the road and not even have a car pass by.      This is one of the reasons we spend February in Florida!   We've tossed around the idea of relocating...maybe south to warmer climates...but in the end, we always come to the conclusion we're in the best place.     I guess that's "home".  

After living in New York City for the first twenty years or so of my life, I joined the Navy and have been stationed in the following areas which I will rate on a scale of 1-10 for how they appealed to me...

Jacksonville, Florida: (5) Coastal Florida is quite nice but, I was stationed at Naval Air Station Cecil field which is inland and the absolute pits.  There is nothing that I can say good about this area.  Naval Air Station Jacksonville was closer to the coast and is the one that I give a #5.

Norfolk, VA: (-5) I absolutely hated Norfolk, although my duties at the Armed Forces Staff College were quite nice and I learned a lot about photography there.

Los Angeles (8) After my early years on the East Coast, I fell in love with California and despite the traffic and smog of Los Angeles, I just loved California. I attended The University of Southern California during my year in Los Angeles.

San Diego (10+) As soon as I arrived in the San Diego area, I knew that was where I wanted to stay for the rest of my life.

Albuquerque, NM (8) I was stationed at the Naval Weapons Evaluation Facility and liked the duty and the Albuquerque, area although I was not too keen on the climate.

Kitsap Peninsula, Washington, State (7) my ship, USS Constellation, was in the shipyards at Bremerton, WA, when I reported.  I lived a few miles from Bremerton and loved the area.  The grey and rain began to get depressing though.

Three other areas in which I spent a lot of time were:

Yokosuka, Japan (7) I liked Japan but, got a bit tired of the crowds. I was lucky to have ben in Japan when the prices were cheap and the U.S. Dollar was worth quite a bit against the Japanese Yen.  As an example, a taxi ride started at 90 or 100 Yen (depending on the size taxi) and the exchange rate was 360 Yen to the U.S. Dollar.

Saigon, Vietnam (8) Beautiful city and an exciting (dangerous?) place to live.  I deployed to combat areas all over Vietnam to film.  These made Saigon seem like a very safe area.

Subic Bay, Philippines (9)  I loved the Philippines and the Filipino People. The fact that most Filipinos (at that time) spoke English broke down the communications barriers I had in Vietnam and Japan.  I tied unsuccessfully to learn both Japanese and Vietnamese but, except for a fifty or sixty word vocabulary, I never mastered those two languages. I liked the Filipino scenery, the food and didn't really mind the tropical weather.  I spent two periods of 6-months each in the Subic Bay area; made many Filipino friends and traveled fairly extensively.

However, of all the areas in which I have lived, I prefer San Diego County the absolute best!

Jenn- your post made me laugh because I live in Michigan and would trade the "real weather" thing for your sunshine and heat  in a heartbeat! I HATE Michigan weather, especially after last winter! In the winter I hate even stopping for gas or getting out of my car to go in a store. Last year my first graders wanted to know how cold it was in Alaska when we were having some of our really cold days. I checked weather.com and much to my dismay it was WARMER in Alaska! Quite a bit warmer- like a heat wave of 36 degrees compared to our sub zero temps. I couldn't believe I was actually envious over the weather in Alaska!We often go many days without seeing the much sun- just cloudy and gray, which can really effect your overall mood. Warm sunshine makes me happier. Snow is okay for about 1 month- December. After that warm fuzzy, Christmas/snow feeling gets old and you start to despise it.  The terrible winters also cause tons of pot holes in the road. In Michigan, these holes get large and deep enough to cause flat tires or put your car out of alignment. Last winter it was so bad, that there were sections of road that were equivalent to driving on putt putt golf course (only the holes were MUCH larger). Avoiding the holes was near impossible.  Other areas of the country also have bad winters but their roads are taken care of better and they don't have these issues.  If you are an avid outdoors person (I'm not), then Michigan is a great place for outdoor sports, hunting, fishing, etc. The change of seasons is pretty, but the bad one (aka WINTER) lasts TOO long and some years it has snowed as early as October or continued to snow into April- which makes for a really interesting egg hunt. :)  The best thing about Michigan....... hmm....... well, because it is so cold most of the year, we don't have to deal with lots of big scary bugs or other interesting/scary heat loving creatures.

Your post made me LOL...us Michiganders are tough cookies...when we get too old tho,  our kids have to come and yank our mittens off as they send us southerly!

Lol! The grass is always greener, no? If you have weather you don't want it and if you don't, you do. Such is life I guess.

I grew up in Michigan.  Great place as a kid - epic snow forts, ice skating on the neighborhood pond, lazy summer days on the beaches of Lake Michigan, bicycling around Mackinac Island, lots of camping and fishing.  I'm not sure I would want to live there full time with the long winters and humid summers but we get to visit since my parents still live there.  I love that my kids can have some of my same experiences. 

Thanks for participating everyone. Great to hear your stories! Sorry if I sounded like sour grapes. I don't want anyone of my doodle folks to experience problems with weather. Maybe you all could just ship the clouds to the southwest. Currently, it's 29 outside now so we got a bit of cold. But no precip so just cold and clear.

Great post.  I've enjoyed reading everyone's input.

It is crazy here and we never know what is going.   15 minutes one way or the other the weather is different.  Perfect example, these photos *not mine ) are from just a few miles away from each other, taken at the same time in an area 50 miles north of me.

Lake Erie and all of the Great Lakes for that matter  have a HUGE effect on our weather.  Water rises into the clouds and dumps on us. This is true especially in the Eastern area of the state. Southeast of Lake Erie. Notice the picture above. Both are just outside of Cleveland--west side and east side. Just a mere 20 miles from each other.    We get a lot of snow. Not until Lake Erie freezes does the snow stop.

I love the rolling hills of my area.  It's not flat or mountainous but scenic.  

What I absolutely can not tolerate is the lack of sunshine.  It really plays with our moods here.   We live in the 2nd cloudiest area in the USA. Second to Portland, Oregon.   Nine months out of the year it is like living in a cave  :(

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service