DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

You guys have been so good about giving me wonderful advice. I have another issue I need some help with. I 've been looking at this breeder in NY called Lakeshore Doodles. Here's their website http://www.fortheloveofdoodles.com/index.html It's a family breeder. I've talked to them several times and they are very responsive with all of my questions. One of the things that has me a little hesitant is that the mom of the litter that we're interested in has not been health tested. I was told that she has had litters before, and all of the pups have been healthy. The dad has had some health testing done and is all clear. They offer a 2 year health guarantee too. What do you think?

Views: 7815

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, there are actually some really good Labradoodle breeders near us. Honestly, and this is just my personal preference, I prefer the look of Goldendoodles.
Sometimes i can't even tell them apart.
I know you prefer the creams & whites, but is this the type of dog you like?

Yup, he's a cutie! He wouldn't happen to be yours, would he?
Don't I wish? LOL
No, this is an Australian Labradoodle from one of the quality breeders who happens to be a member here on DK. I posted her picture because I do think she has the look of a Golden, which I happen to like, also. But I like all shaggy dogs.
A lot of LDs do look like GDs, and vice versa. I'm sure I could post a number of photos and nobody would be able to tell which kind of doodle they are.
I agree most people do NOT know the difference unless it is an early generation doodle what type it is (golden or labra).
Kind of like how some wheaten terriers are mistaken for doodles. Good point Karen - it is worth it to expand the horizon and look at the different breeds. I honestly chose my breeder because she is a quality, local breeder that fits the criteria mentioned on this site. I didn't really care about goldendoodles vs. labradoodles!
Can I ask how much you paid for yours? Our local Labradoodle breeders are asking $2500 for a puppy, which to me is alot! I know you get what you pay for, but I was hoping that maybe we could find a puppy for a little less than that!
I paid $2500 plus shipping for each.
Peri (mini goldendoodle) was $1600 but I picked her up. I think our breeder charges about $300-400 for shipping. Peri's sister Ellie (on DK) was shipped from TN to NYC and I know that was successful.
I have been researching breeders for the past month and a half. I have driven 4 hours from home to check them out etc. The parameters I am using are in order of priority:
1. Health certifications for hips and eyes, bonus if they have elbows as well.
2. Raised in a home environment where they get lots of human interaction
3. Breeder has been raising Labradoodles for at least 5 years.
3. Both parents are on site and display the qualities I am looking for in my pup.
4. Have not been de-sexed. I am thinking about breeding some day but in general I do not like the trend towards de-sexing them at an early age. Large breed dogs in particular need to grow before their hormones are shut off...
5. Cleanliness and number of litters on the ground. My previous dog came home with giardia which was the result of too many litters and not enough time to keep them all clean.
6. References. Verbal as well as photographic. I like to see the types of coats that are produced in previous litters.
7. Price. I am looking for another F1 and I find the price range is from $600 to $1200 with the previous qualifications met. I then have to evaluate the price based on everything else...

I got my first F1 from a friend of mine who had bred labs for years and was just getting into the F1's. After I conquered the giardia I ended up with a wonderful dog, non shedding coat and great therapy dog. It was dumb luck but I am taking more time on this second dog.
Julie,

Once you start breeding you will learn that coccidia and giardia have nothing to do with cleanliness! Giardia is a water born single cell protozoa that grows and self manifests in water (lakes, ponds, rivers, streams, small decorative ponds, fountains, rain wells, mud puddles and pools). A passing animal can have it, shed it in their stool and a dog eat it or it gets into the ground, it rains, a puddle forms a dog walks through it, later cleans its paw and it has it! Anyone who lives on old farm land where livestock once lived is living on contaminated soil. You can not clean the ground and soil from either coccdia and giardia. I once had a dog from FL's swamp lands sent to me, I visited that property and it was spotless! The dog had giardia in her system, for 2 years we treated in proactive measures against it, thankfully we live in a dry area and when it does rain our ground doesnt let it stand. We also live on old farm land as does over 50% of the country especially if you live in a subdivision or development of some sort and even if you live out in the country.

Most breeders dont release their pet dogs for breeding and have breeding restrictions, you might (if not already) let the breeders you are speaking with know you are wanting to breed in the future. That may help you find a better suited dog.

There is much to be learned in breeding

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service