DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

Noah found an owl pellet at the field today and had a great time rolling on it.  Since his coat is so thick and curly, every tiny piece of feather stuck to his coat.  He looked quite pleased with himself but I had the horrible task of picking all the feathers off of him. 

Why do dogs insist on rolling in the dirtiest things they find?  I've heard it's some sort of defense mechanism to cover up their own scent.  Any other ideas?

Views: 157

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds gross. The worst Halas has rolled in so far is poop. I'm not sure what kind of poop, but I'm guessing deer.
Luah has rolled on a 20" long dead fish that had washed up for probably a week. Man did it take a lot to get that stink off her. I don't think she really enjoyed the smell once she had it on her for awhile either lol.
Lovely ;)
My poodle loved to roll in goose poop. Ewwwww!
Jackdoodle doesn't roll in anything, but he did lie down in a big, deep, mud puddle at the forest preserves last spring. And then had himself a drink since he was in there anyway. Kind of like drinking your own bath water...also ewwwww!
Found this on-line:

"Rolling in excrement is both a social behavior and a hunting behavior; this is genetically inherited. Not all dogs share this behavior but many breeds intended for hunting, herding and guarding do. Herding dogs roll in the poop of their herd (sheep, cows, etc.) most likely to make it easier to slip among them and do their job of control; the Grey wolf (from whom all dogs are genetically descended) rolls in the scat of other wolves to make a "statement" to his own pack members, to include himself in the pack, etc. Wolves also roll in the scat of prey animals as a method of disguising their own scent when on the hunt, and they will roll in the remains of a kill to advertise the trophy."
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Canine-Behavior-3553/2009/1/dog-other-do...
Kona rolls in poop, eats horse poop (that was fun to discover!), and this last July rolled in something dead and decaying on the beach(my guess is a dead seal). I wonder if it is the retriever part of them, Buddy doesn't roll at all......
Is an owl pellet owl poop?
Nope... Owl vomit :0)
Blech. For some reason I'm way better with poop related stuff than barf related stuff. Callie hasn't rolled in anything particularly gross as yet, but that's only because she doesn't know this is an option :)
Mine have rolled on a dead mouse at the dog park, of course mud puddles, in burrs etc etc. They both like to eat rabbit poop and I'm wondering if it's because it looks like kibble!
Bear goes crazy at a local lake by our house. When we go there he rolls and rolls and rolls and shoves his face all over the grass next to the lake, like cat-nip to a cat. He can't help himself. I think it's the duck poop, dead fish stuff, and fish bait that's been dropped all over the ground.

I've noticed dogs at the dog park rolling in each other urine. Dogs can be so weird... But when they do this kinda stuff I just gotta laugh.
Guinness has never rolled in anything except my dirty clothes when they're on the floor getting ready to go in the washer. Does that count? I'm guessing he's trying to make a statement to the other pack members in the house that he's the boss and the pack leader's favorite. Makes sense...they never get to roll in my dirty clothes.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service