DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

When I went to take Pickles in for his last set of boosters my vet and I had a discussion around vaccinations. To my surprise, she believes dogs do not need to be vaccinated as much as they are. She said city ordinances require annual or biannual vaccinations but that dogs actually in her opinion still have a lot of immunities in their system. She said within 20 years we will see cities backing away from repeated immunizations.
Just wondering your thoughts on this. :)

Views: 314

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

LOL, F, me too. 

Agree with F.

I personally do not give any credence at all to any advice on Dr. Becker's website, as I know much of it to be questionable. Dr. Dodds is a little bit more reputable. :) 

Even though she is on hokum side of many issues she is sometimes right but in general she is best ignored.

Yes, it costs quite a bit more actually.  We do the 3-year rabies and then titers on everything else.  This is a scary fact in my opinion:  my Chihuahua has had titers for SIX years now. Only vaccine he has ever had to have is the 3-year rabies. He's been immune every time.  Just started titers with doodle and she's been immune for 2 years.

I agree with less is best and mine only get the rabies and DHPP every three yrs. and I might ask for a titter for the next 3yr vaccination of the DHPP as they are older and have had it enough times now to have developed some level.
I don't do any others as they are not groomed or go to daycare. I take my chances with kennel cough by taking them to the dog park occasionally, but I'm willing to take that risk. We don't go that often. Bella got her 3 yr DHPP last month and I feel she had a reaction within 24 hrs.
I gave her a bath the next morning, let her run around outside, 72degrees, sunny. She came inside, still wet, but no longer shaking the water off. I left for about 45 min and when I came home she came to the hallway shaking so violently that she could hardly walk to me. I quickly wrapped her in a towel and started to warm her up with the blow dryer. She was shivering so hard her teeth were chattering. I felt so bad. It took over 10 min to stop the violent shaking and a little longer, or till completely dry to stop the shivering. It was the weirdest thing ever. We do bathes every week sometimes, even in the winter, and this has never happened, so I can only attribute it to the vaccination. She will be getting titers next time for sure!
This sounds wise to me albeit that it doesn't go ino titers:

http://www.petmd.com/dog/care/evr_dg_to_vaccinate_or_not_a_vets_per...

Both of my dogs got the combined vaccine at 1 year and now get it every 3 years. Right now there are outbreaks of mumps and measles in the tristate NY area even among vaccinated people. It is unclear how long some of the immunity lasts but my kids and their SOs have been advised to get vaccinated. I don't know for sure if those of us who had the diseases are more immune but I am on the local Board of Health and we ponder these things often.

My schedule is pretty much the same as Jane's. 3 year rabies, DHPP 3 year and I choose to do Lyme and Lepto because we live on a partially wooded property with deer. My vet is pretty cautious about what he recommends in the way of vaccines.  It's good that more vets are pausing to think about this. We may titer for the DHPP next time. We discussed the risk of Lepto and Lyme but felt it was high enough to warrant the vaccine because of where we live. 

We do rabies every three years, DHPP every four years, lepto and bordatella annually.

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service