DoodleKisses.com

Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Forum

So you may know that we adopted a dog from a nearby couple who felt he was too exuberant for them.  He was originally named Sinatra because he had blue puppy eyes (they're yellow and very striking now) and crooned!  (thank goodness no more). Then his name became Frankie, which is the name he had when we got him.

We did not want to change it too much since he answers to that name.  We decided to try "Franc", from Father of the Bride.  Ehh-not crazy about that , but the "F" sound worked.  It was then suggested by my sister and BIL in Texas (lol) that the name "Frankie" is frumpy.  They suggested "Fritz,  Frazier, or Franz". for the "FR" sound.

I like "Fitz".  Is he young enough to make the switch? 

Anyone care to weigh in?  

Views: 411

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like Fritz

I rescued a Golden Retriever years ago. The shelter and vet both estimated him to be about 18 months. No one had any idea what his original owners had named him. The shelter called him Big Red, and he had been there about 3 months. We named him Charlie. Within a week of calling him that, he seemed to recognize the name as his and would come when we called Charlie. So I don't think at this young of an age he will have any trouble learning his new name quickly. I like the name Fritz.

I call Annabelle Annie half the time and she recognizes both names as hers.

I've seen dozens of adopted dogs successfully "make the switch" to a new name, and many of them were a lot older than your new guy. Jack was 14 months old when I got him and we changed his name immediately; we had to, the name he came with was the same as my live-in grandson's, lol. We kept it very similar (Jake to Jack) and he had no trouble with the name change at all. 

I think they learn very easily and many of us call our dogs all kinds of nicknames besides the given name.  I've even considered changing one of mine after of few years. I think it's fine and they come to whatever cheerful welcome sound they hear us call them.  

I like Fritz too

You don't like the name, Frankie? I think it's a great name! You could simply keep the name, particularly if he responds to it positively, and his previous owners were kind to him. Congratulations on bringing him into your family, regardless of what you end up calling him!

Frankie is one of the top 100 boy dog names according to AKC., but apparently not in Texas, lol!  Of course you already know I like Frankie.  I think it suits him.   I do agree though that I don't think it will really matter if you want to change it to something else.  I call AnnaBelle,  Belly a lot of the time only because Lucy and Belly roll through my brain and out my mouth easier than Lucy and AnnaBelle.

Orwell's mother was also rescued from someone who thought she was too exuberant. She is a wonderful dog, but had the misfortune of being named Cupcake. Her new owner quickly switched it to Cabela at around 1.5 years old.

I think it would be fine to change it to any name you like.  We once adopted a stray who was estimated to be 4-5 years old. We had no idea what his name was and had to just create one for him. In no time at all he was responding to it. It's just not a problem for them. I don't think they are attached to a name in the same way that humans are...

I like Frankie, too. I think you should change Quincy's name to Johnny :) Just kidding. I love the name Quincy! 

I thought the same thing Laurie.  "Frankie & Johnny were lovers"  Oops does that date us? LOL  Seriously, I love the name Frankie!  But I agree with so many others, that they will learn to respond fairly quickly once you decide on a name and use it for a week or two.

Yes, it must date us :) LOL 

They are so funny together.  We have a big hill that is electric fence secure ( I know, we watch) and the two of them were up there for a good hour just sniffing around and wrestling.  I can see them from my upstairs window-and Frankie/Fritz/Fitz light colored coat helps to see them, plus there are no leaves this time of year.  anyway, the two of them are sniffing around up there, exploring and loving it.  then they come tumbling down, romping.  it is so nice to see both of them so engaged.  

Quincy gets tired!  wow!

RSS

Support Doodle Kisses 

DK - Amazon Search Widget

© 2024   Created by Adina P.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service